New User Interface Change Needed

Its 2020 and Eset still has the most boring and dull UI compared to its competitors which it has been using it for a long time.

Its competitor such as Kaspersky has become the most lightest and modern UI when it was one of the most resource hungry software few years back.

I have used all major three anitivirus Eset, Kaspersky and Bitdefender. I enjoy using the Eset the most but due to its static UI every year it is taking its users away from it.

Changes and adopting to market is very important for any product and it's high time to adopt NEW and MODERN UI for its next version otherwise the company gonna loose its customer towards their competitors.

How many of you agree please comment below ?

Edited by samu5614

• Administrators

While we understand that gui cannot satisfy every single user, our gui is modern, clear and easy to navigate. Frequent changes of gui in AV products is not desired as it would bring more confusion for users once they get used to it. Currently we do not plan any big changes to the gui and it will be rather minor changes and improvements that we'll make in future versions.

• Most Valued Members

The layout and most used features within the ESET gui are more accessible and easier to use than many of its peers. Being static does not detract from the product itself.

I doubt anyone would leave a good product behind for a bit of "eye candy" ☺️

• Most Valued Members
On 9/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, samu5614 said:

Its 2020 and Eset still has the most boring and dull UI compared to its competitors which it has been using it for a long time.

Its competitor such as Kaspersky has become the most lightest and modern UI when it was one of the most resource hungry software few years back.

I have used all major three anitivirus Eset, Kaspersky and Bitdefender. I enjoy using the Eset the most but due to its static UI every year it is taking its users away from it.

Changes and adopting to market is very important for any product and it's high time to adopt NEW and MODERN UI for its next version otherwise the company gonna loose its customer towards their competitors.

I get eset might not be the best to look at but I'm confused about your chose of words, one in particular. Boring.

An antivirus is there to protect users and the most important thing should be that it does its job. How it looks can play a part but really you just want a UI that is easy to navigate and familiarity does play a part and the average user will tend to leave their AV running in the background to do its job without opening it much if it all.

Edited by peteyt

• Most Valued Members

i agree with Marcos, the UI is almost the same since 2007 if im not mistaken.
although it might be considered old and outdated, it very very functional and organized. because of that i was able to navigate myself around its options easily even though i hadn't used it for many years.

19 minutes ago, shocked said:

i agree with Marcos, the UI is almost the same since 2007 if im not mistaken.

The Eset GUI last major revision was in ver. 9 when Eset changed the GUI to conform with Win Metro format. I believe that was in 2015 or so. I painfully remember this since all existing HIPS rules had to be manually reentered in ver. 9 since they weren't compatible with the Metro format. Also many including myself preferred the old Eset GUI since HIPS rules were much easier to manage in the old GUI interface.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, itman said:

The Eset GUI last major revision was in ver. 9 when Eset changed the GUI to conform with Win Metro format. I believe that was in 2015 or so. I painfully remember this since all existing HIPS rules had to be manually reentered in ver. 9 since they weren't compatible with the Metro format. Also many including myself preferred the old Eset GUI since HIPS rules were much easier to manage in the old GUI interface.

Not used hips but if its like the firewall rule area i fully agree but they already know my feelings of it ha

There is absolutely no reason to change anything about GUI, Its simple, yet elegant and easy to navigate and if that's your only gripe, your in good hands😉

Edited by URBAN0

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 2:21 PM, samu5614 said:

You might want to say that all that white, empty spaces etc make for a somewhat boring and at times confusing experience. However, i wouldn't change that much. All what i'd add in that main menu screen is a search function to find what i need ASAP when i need it. I am fairly fine with all the rest. But that's me.

3 hours ago, PassingBy said:

All what i'd add in that main menu screen is a search function to find what i need ASAP when i need it.

Since Eset online help has this capability, it appears Eset feels this is sufficient.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, PassingBy said:

You might want to say that all that white, empty spaces etc make for a somewhat boring and at times confusing experience. However, i wouldn't change that much. All what i'd add in that main menu screen is a search function to find what i need ASAP when i need it. I am fairly fine with all the rest. But that's me.

Yeah a search bit that isn't in the advanced area could be handy. That and as I've brought up before a little user customisation 

No thanks, the current ESET UI is fine as it is. It looks attractive without being overpowering and above all, is very user friendly - with no learning curve required.

Maybe the OP would prefer something like this? lol

wwdwdwdw.jpg

Edited by psychopomp1

16 hours ago, itman said:

Since Eset online help has this capability, it appears Eset feels this is sufficient.

I beg to disagree. It should be in the main screen. But that is me. No need for extra clicks. Besides, many users do not see the search function in that submenu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

I don't understand why this is even a conversation. The Kaspersky UI has changed very little since 2012 and I would take the ESET UI over it any day. That said it wouldn't hurt my feeling if they added a little more color to it but it is perfectly functional as is. I remember when all vendors used to replace the UI every year and it took another half year to work out the bugs.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, xxJackxx said:

I don't understand why this is even a conversation. The Kaspersky UI has changed very little since 2012 and I would take the ESET UI over it any day. That said it wouldn't hurt my feeling if they added a little more color to it but it is perfectly functional as is. I remember when all vendors used to replace the UI every year and it took another half year to work out the bugs.

Yeah I have also seen some programs, not just related to AVs, change their UI each year and then charge for an upgrade. I've seen quite a few programs do this but there wasn't really anything new but the new UI made it look like there was.

Although this isn't a problem with eset as your license entitles you to any version including future ones.

Modern? What about a dark theme? Missing. As well as simply to the user 2 theme should be made available. The surface looks like an old man. The old surface was much better

Edited by galaxy

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, galaxy said:

Modern? What about a dark theme? Missing. As well as simply to the user 2 theme should be made available. The surface looks like an old man

I don't mind the colour. Usability is more important to me. Although a lot of programs are adding dark themes

I'd vote for usability, clarity, convenience over flashiness. There is one thing I would change. The Tools menu takes two clicks to get to the most frequent things I use. I imagine that the first click that leads to Payment Protection, Connected Home Monitor, and Anti-Theft are the upgraded features beyond the most basic product and so there is economy of coding in leaving the rest of the tools separate. So I have to use the "More Tools" option to get what I really want. Not a big deal.

Long ago I used a system called ccMail. When you deleted an email it responded with a little flash of fire. Not necessary but oh so gratifying. 

• 2 months later...

Realmente um tema escuro no antivírus mostraria, e a mudança do ícone ESET para o modelo antigo que era um EYE, mostraria

Machine translation:

Really a dark theme in the antivirus would show, and changing the ESET icon to the old model that was an EYE, would show

Edited by Marcos
Machine translation added