Confusing branding/classification of new products

If I'm reading the features comparisons correctly, ESS v8 or v9 allow me a free upgrade to EIS aka ESS v10, but not to ESS Premium, which appears to be a new product ?

Even as a long-time ESET customer, these classifications are a bit confusing; I would have expected ESET Internet Security to offer a complete package, yet it falls short of the features offered in ESS Premium.

But the difference in features is so negligible, that I wonder why ESET decided to make a distinction between them at all; if I were a potential new customer, I would think that EIS would be akin to KIS, i.e. the whole deal, yet it's not, and to an outsider, 'Smart Security' isn't as easy to understand as 'Internet security'.

• Most Valued Members

I'm just glad they got rid of the smart security version they had for version 10 - originally it appeared there would be nod32, internet security, smart security and smart security premium, with smart security just having one extra feature compared to internet security.

I don't like when av's start bringing out too many versions as it can confuse the customer, and having that extra version they removed certainly would have done that. I don't think having internet and smart premium is too bad because the features in the premium are the kind of features only certain people would use. I use a desktop so don't really need anti theft and already have a sticky password premium lifetime license. I wouldn't have minded the encryption stuff but probably would have rarely used it. The only thing I can see annoying some is the fact the premium one has the anti theft which was included in smart security last time with internet security being smart security now.

I'm just glad they got rid of the smart security version they had for version 10 - originally it appeared there would be nod32, internet security, smart security and smart security premium, with smart security just having one extra feature compared to internet security.

Smart Security is available in v10, albeit only for those with an existing ESS license. See here for comparison:

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb318/

• ESET Insiders

My question is... when my Smart Security license expires in 29 days, if I choose to renew it, what will me options be? Are they going to retire the regular Smart Security? I don't really want the extra features of the "Premium" version. I really don't need the anti-theft. But what I would not want to have to do is uninstall the Smart Security and reinstall something else and reconfigure it because my license expired. Too much hassle. What is the ongoing plan for those customers?

• ESET Insiders

Hllo xxJackxx,

Good points... I agree with your comments. I made a post in a different thread concerning these same thoughts...
https://forum.eset.com/topic/9886-upgrading-to-version-10/

Hello throwaway9,

I noticed this in the knowledge base about changes in version 10: "* ESET Smart Security 10 is only available by renewal for existing ESET Smart Security users." What does this exactly mean? I have a valid license until 2018, does that mean I can't get version 10?

ESS is still available for purchase on the www.eset.com site, so not really sure what that means. What is the URL for the knowledgebase article that you quoted that from? It does not mean that you cannot get version 10.

It seems that I may be wrong about this...
Yesterday, when I was looking at the www.eset.com website, I was fairly sure I saw ESS still available for purchase, but today it does appear that it is only available for renewal and/or download, not as a new purchase. I also noticed that if you tried to purchase ESS, you were taken to the EIS page...
I wonder if ESS is being phased out and being replaced by EIS? It would seem odd to keep ESS available only for renewals and not for new purchases. hence the reason it would appear ESS was being phased out.
If you renew ESS, will you actually be renewing for ESS or will it end up being EIS instead? This is a bit on the confusing side as through beta testing, we were lead to believe that EIS was not a replacement for ESS but two separate products. What does it actually mean by ESS no longer being available for new purchases?
It would be a good thing if a moderator/ESET rep could clarify as to the actual status of EIS versus ESS going forward. Maybe even a sticky thread about this as it seems to be a fair amount of confusion over this.

• ESET Insiders

Thanks puff-m-d, I saw those after I made my post else I probably wouldn't have bothered. I also see I can download the English version of Internet Security (the original page I found the links on did not have it) so I could just run with that and not worry about it. I don't have a particular need for the anti-theft so as far as I'm concerned I am not worried about it at this point though there may still be others that wanted the Smart Security. It looks like the questions are still valid for them, but I'm going to call it good enough.

what about those of us who have BOXED RETAIL versions  of ess v8 will i be able to use those lic's with ess being phased out or will they be no good now?

Since Anti-Theft is not part of the new Internet Security which was included in smart security earlier, so customer wanting to continue using anti-theft after the expiry of there current smart security does not want to go for new smart security premium and continue to use new internet security - what then ?

Edited by Sameer

• ESET Staff

Hi all,

From my experience with other companies, sometimes they keep what they give to you

and in other times they apply a new policy.

I advise you guys to contact your local distributor and shout the questions, back here

with the answers if you want. :)

One thing a bit of a puzzle here is Eset has not offered a limited time reduced cost upgrade option for existing Smart Security users to the premium version. This is standard practice with a number of other security software vendors. This type of promotion is best handled at the corporate level.

I do see how a national distributor network could complicate this but reimbursement from the corporate level to the distributors could be provided.

• Administrators

ESS is still available; you can purchase a renewal for ESS and also download it from your local website. If you are having issues with renewing your existing ESS license or downloading ESS v10 in a particular country, let us know,

• Most Valued Members

Smart Security is available in v10, albeit only for those with an existing ESS license. See here for comparison:

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb318/

Which only adds to the confusion.

I can see why they did it but the naming is a bit odd. If they are getting rid of smart security for newer users it would probably be better renaming smart security to internet security premium to go alongside the standard internet security suite

ESS is still available; you can purchase a renewal for ESS and also download it from your local website. If you are having issues with renewing your existing ESS license or downloading ESS v10 in a particular country, let us know,

Here in México, There is no download link for ESS and if I try to renew ESS I'm being redirected to EIS purchase.

Only EAV, EIS and ESS premium are avaible to download and even EAV and ESS premium can't be purchased, only EIS

hxxp://www.eset-la.com/download/home

hxxp://www.eset-la.com/comprar/comprarnod32enlinea#/producto/internet_security

So, what are the options?

• ESET Moderators

Here in México, There is no download link for ESS and if I try to renew ESS I'm being redirected to EIS purchase.

Only EAV, EIS and ESS premium are avaible to download and even EAV and ESS premium can't be purchased, only EIS

hxxp://www.eset-la.com/download/home

hxxp://www.eset-la.com/comprar/comprarnod32enlinea#/producto/internet_security

So, what are the options?

Afaik, each region controls their own product and download pages. However, also afaik, ESS v10 should be available for downloads AND renewals. If it's not, contact your local ESET partner for support.

• ESET Moderators

what about those of us who have BOXED RETAIL versions  of ess v8 will i be able to use those lic's with ess being phased out or will they be no good now?

@zfactor I can't say exactly what our product offering will be in the future, but you will continue to be able to activate ESS licenses from boxes. Right now, you can use ESS v10. In the future, there will be an equitable product that the ESS license will activate. 

I was able to activate EIS with a current ESS License Key. I just can't say 100% that that ability will exist forever. 

• ESET Insiders

@zfactor I can't say exactly what our product offering will be in the future, but you will continue to be able to activate ESS licenses from boxes. Right now, you can use ESS v10. In the future, there will be an equitable product that the ESS license will activate. 

I was able to activate EIS with a current ESS License Key. I just can't say 100% that that ability will exist forever. 

But EIS is less featured product than ESS, and people who bought ESS to get some features, cannot download product which match their licenses, so that is a problem. , and difference between ESS and ESSP is so small (PW Manager and Encryption Storage) that making this as another line product is a littlke bit confusing for users. Maybe a good solution will be migrate all ESS users to ESSP to do not make artificial products, and selling three products: EAV, EIS, ESS. And what I should do? I own ESS pack (3 coomputers + 3 phones for 3 years). And what to do next? In next licence extending. It makes much more noise as it should, especially taking back from sale other product and in that place putting 2 others.

• Most Valued Members

I would hope that an ESS license will continue to activate EIS at least until my renewal is up in 2018. I prefer EIS as the rest of the line up has enhancements that I don't use including Anti Theft in ESS.

I use desktops exclusively. I don't see a portable device of any type in my future including a smart phone. The more basic Eset is the more I like it. I want it to protect my system period. I have the rest covered with licensed programs for the specific use already purchased.

Understand that I am not knocking Eset for the inclusion of those enhancements they are just not for me. I am glad that Eset is offering EIS and hope it will continue.

• ESET Staff

Hi all,

Seems there is a bit of quantity worries people about downloads.

So, lets see from other point of view right?

* Renewals and downloads by @foniel:

"However, also afaik, ESS v10 should be available for downloads AND renewals."

Note: as was pointed also, if you cannot download your ESS installer from X website you

can contact support and request the link to do so, or visit anothe country webpage with

who use your language to get.

An standard solution is just visit ESET Internation (eset.com/int) and search and download

in your language the installer pack

ESET Smart Security seems to be removed from websites and new ESSP and EIS are show up.

That's mean you cannot buy ESS as new user, but have to choose between EIS or ESSP.

If you have a license, just do the renewal. :)

You cannot make happy everyone, just an % of each. :)

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

• Administrators

I have reported this to the appropriate product manager. ESS v10 should remain available for download in all countries (although it's not as much promoted as EIS and ESSP) and existing users should be able to purchase a renewal as well.

• ESET Insiders

I have reported this to the appropriate product manager. ESS v10 should remain available for download in all countries (although it's not as much promoted as EIS and ESSP) and existing users should be able to purchase a renewal as well.

If there will be available some kind of upgrade for current ESS Pack to ESSP Pack without waiting to ESS license pass away? That is confusing, no infos abou that, only promoting new product, but no clear path for current licenses to get to higher level. But anyway personally for me ESS is enought :-)

Thank you Marcos! It is excelent to know there will be ESS as renew  :)