Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

Eset Online Scanner was not upgraded from a long time, it is necessary to upgrade more often, to introduce new malware detection technologies and for be more powerful at threat detection.

• Administrators

Eset Online Scanner was not upgraded from a long time, it is necessary to upgrade more often, to introduce new malware detection technologies and for be more powerful at threat detection.

Ehm, ESET Online Scanner is just a simple on-demand scanner. It won't use sandbox or whatever to protect you from malware in real-time or when browsing on the web. Its purpose is to scan the computer for known malware in the same way as the on-demand scanner integrated in ESET's products does.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see a function added to the "Advanced Options" Explorer right-click context menu to add a file to the exclusions list. It used to be when a threat was detected we were given check-box options which included adding an exclusion but that seems to be gone in version 7. Context menu exclude would be far more convenient than digging through the directory structure a second time from the NOD32 advanced setup menu.

• Administrators

I would like to see a function added to the "Advanced Options" Explorer right-click context menu to add a file to the exclusions list. It used to be when a threat was detected we were given check-box options which included adding an exclusion but that seems to be gone in version 7. Context menu exclude would be far more convenient than digging through the directory structure a second time from the NOD32 advanced setup menu.

It's still there. If a potentially unsafe or unwanted application is detected, you just unfold the advanced options and check the "Exclude from detection" box.

• Administrators

I'm curious, will the HIPS be any different in the next version?

V8 beta already has a Smart mode which will be a sort of interactive mode with prompt windows reduced to the bare minimum once finished as it's still being worked on.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote it somewhere in this forum but I think I will say it again.When you do a scan and something is found,tell the user directly what it is,not first at the end of the scan.For example Eset found a PUP but detect it as kind of Malware in the scanner window.You don't know what it is before the scan ends.I would like to sort the kind of things more when Eset detect someting.Like categories: Virus/Malware,PUP,Adware,Spyware.

Emsisoft does that perfect imo.

Edited by Margos

• 4 weeks later...

Application dependent Gamer-Mode

ESS and Nod32 already have a gamer-mode, but it is triggered by full-screen applications. Yet there are many full-screen applications which use so few resources that this would be the ideal time for ESET to perform background tasks. Hence I would like to suggest the addition of a application dependent gamer-mode, so we can disable full-screen gamer-mode and still have it activated when it counts.

Application dependent Gamer-Mode

ESS and Nod32 already have a gamer-mode, but it is triggered by full-screen applications. Yet there are many full-screen applications which use so few resources that this would be the ideal time for ESET to perform background tasks. Hence I would like to suggest the addition of a application dependent gamer-mode, so we can disable full-screen gamer-mode and still have it activated when it counts.

Yes, it's a great idea. But it was already suggested by @TGW with some very nice mockups.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Please provide option for location of temp folder other than C:\Windows\Temp.  NOD32 writes a lot of temp files during full scan and it is bad for SSD.

There are tons of applications besides the operating system itself which write into that folder. You can redirect the system temporary folder by adjusting the system temp / tmp variables. As for user temporary folders, you'd need to redirect user profiles folder.

Personally I don't know anybody with SSD drives who would do that just to minimize writing to a SSD drive. I too use SSD in a notebook and 2 computers with default temp folder settings.

Please provide option for location of temp folder other than C:\Windows\Temp.  NOD32 writes a lot of temp files during full scan and it is bad for SSD.

There are tons of applications besides the operating system itself which write into that folder. You can redirect the system temporary folder by adjusting the system temp / tmp variables. As for user temporary folders, you'd need to redirect user profiles folder.

Personally I don't know anybody with SSD drives who would do that just to minimize writing to a SSD drive. I too use SSD in a notebook and 2 computers with default temp folder settings.

Although many applications write to the temp folders but I didn't find any of them (at least in my PC) writing big files.  I'm not sure if I got the correct figure (I got it from Task Manager), NOD32 writes tens of GB of temp files during my weekly full scan and that's quite significant.

I've already moved my temp folder to another drive but I just think it would be nice if NOD32 provides an option so that other applications will not be affected.

I haven't seen that ESET writes huge files in the temp folder (I haven't looked at that too). However you can change the variables or redirect the folder (if you're using Windows Vista or higher) with a cmd command:

mklink

(You have to run it as an administrator)

E.g.:

mklink /d C:\Windows\Temp D:\Windows\Temp 

More information: NTFS symbolic link

Edited by rugk

Hello,

Need some elaboration on this statement:

I've already moved my temp folder to another drive but I just think it would be nice if NOD32 provides an option so that other applications will not be affected.

I haven't seen that ESET writes huge files in the temp folder (I haven't looked at that too). However you can change the variables or redirect the folder (if you're using Windows Vista or higher) with a cmd command:

mklink

(You have to run it as an administrator)

E.g.:

mklink /d C:\Windows\Temp D:\Windows\Temp 

More information: NTFS symbolic link

NOD32 writes a lot of temp files named NODxxxx.tmp during full scan (not sure if it's about scanning archives).  You may view the activities using Resouce Monitor by checking "Write (B/sec)" under Disk Activity.

I've already redirected the temp folder to another drive.  However I modified the TEMP and TMP system environment variables instead.

Hello,

Need some elaboration on this statement:

I mean I've already redirected my temp folder to a non-SSD drive by modifying the system environment variables.  However, I think it would be nice if NOD32 provides an option for location of its own temp folder so that the system temp folder can stay in the SSD.

This is not essential as there is a workaround but it is a nice-to-have feature.

• 1 month later...

13 days of warning that a license is about to expire is excessive, in my opinion.

Since ESET users are very competant, I would think that 3 or four days OR a warning every two or 3 days would be sufficient.

post-865-0-40615800-1421613375_thumb.jpg

13 days of warning that a license is about to expire is excessive, in my opinion.

Since ESET users are very competant, I would think that 3 or four days OR a warning every two or 3 days would be sufficient.

Why oh why did you have to mention my BIGGEST hate of ESET and AV software in general? It ranks way up there with AV software being much cheaper from, say, Amazon, than direct from the company.

Ping ESET:- Please stop insulting our intelligence and reign this in.

@jadinolf

At some time before your trail expires you will buy ESET (if you like to use it), so afterwards you will not see this message for a long time. :)

• 1 month later...