@stackz, haha hmmm... :D

Considering this is a feedback/discussion thread about V9 it should be fine to post stuff connected to V9 in one way or the other.....

Protecting Users in a New Era of Cyber Threats

We are pleased to announce today’s release of ESET Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9, new versions of our award-winning security solution for home users.

The development of the latest version literally brought the whole company together. There are several significant improvements under the hood, which have involved ESET teams across the whole world in an effort to deliver the signature low system footprint and the highest level of protection.

In order to do so, we re-engineered the way ESET Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 update to ensure maximum protection. The process is now even more flexible and transparent, with automatic updating to the latest protection features as soon as they become available.

Based on usability testing, we have also redesigned the graphical user interface to better fit the needs of our customers. Now it is much more simplified and supports Right to left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. We are also introducing a completely new system of licensing which simplifies the purchase and activation process.

The most prominent of all features is Banking & Payment Protection in ESET Smart Security 9, thanks to which the users can make online money transfers without exposure to any harmful activities. Banking & Payment Protection detects when users visit online banking websites. In the process it ensures that online financial transactions are processed in a secured environment.

Other important improvements include the following:

• Reputation Evaluator leverages cloud-based file and URL reputation system ESET LiveGrid® when assessing the risk-level of files. This improves scanning efficiency and prevents users from accessing sites with malicious content and/or phishing sites.
  •  Botnet Protection Enhanced with Network Signatures allows for faster reaction when blocking malicious traffic related to bots and exploit packs coming to and from users’ PCs.
  •     Improved Installation technology
  •     Online help content
  •     Full support for Windows 10

Martin Semjan,
Product Manager

hxxp://www.eset.com/int/about/press/eset-blog/article/protecting-users-in-a-new-era-of-cyber-threats/

Say Hello to ESET Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9

Full-featured, Windows 10 compatible security software praised by reviewers and beta testers is now available worldwide.

ESET®, a global pioneer in proactive protection for more than two decades, announces today the availability of its new security solutions for Windows home users: ESET Smart Security® 9 and ESET NOD32® Antivirus 9. Both have a completely re-engineered user interface and ESET Smart Security 9 features a new tool to protect customers’ banking transactions and online payments.

Maintaining its renowned lightweight footprint, ESET has re-engineered its security products to improve usability and performance, with a completely re-designed user interface. Both products are compatible with Microsoft’s newest operating system, Windows 10. ESET Smart Security® 9 is an all-in-one Internet security solution built around the legendary ESET NOD32® detection technology.

On top of other technologies that protect customers from Internet threats in ESET Smart Security 9 is new Banking & Payment Protection. This feature secures the user’s browser of choice to ensure that all their online financial transactions are processed safely – for online banking sites it works automatically.

The demand for such a feature arose from the growing use of online banking by consumers worldwide, which has made this service a target for cyber criminals.

“ESET products are engineered with a multi-layered approach that protects users from all types of threats at different levels. We see a constant increase in malware that targets banking and financial information and operations, and while we have technologies in place that can block them, we have designed a completely new feature that improves the experience of our customers and secures their online money-related activities at a whole different level.”, said Palo Luka, Chief Technology Officer at ESET.

ESET Smart Security 9 multi-layered security also includes proven technologies such as Botnet Protection, Exploit Blocker and Vulnerability Shield. These and many more are described in detail on the ESET Technology page. Botnet Protection protects the user’s computer from being taken over by a remote attacker and used as part of a network of infected computers for malicious purposes. Exploit Blocker is designed to fortify applications on the user’s system that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components, while Vulnerability Shield improves detection of known vulnerabilities on the network level.

Softpedia.com, a news website and download provider, awarded ESET Smart Security 4.5/5 stars, and concluded its Editor’s Review as follows:
“ESET is known to bring very good results when it comes to virus detection ratio, scanning speed and resources usage. Smart Security lives up to its name, providing users with various layers of security against e-threats while navigating the web or granting PC access to other users.”

“We received very good feedback from our Beta testers’ community and third-party test labs on this new product’s performance and features,” said Eduard Kesely, Senior Product Manager at ESET. “We are thrilled by the positive reception we got from them, which validates the very positive results we got in our internal tests. We believe ESET Smart Security 9 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 will be able to continue providing a high level of security to our customers without slowing down their systems, allowing them to enjoy the Internet without needing to constantly worry about the threats out there.”

hxxp://www.eset.com/int/about/press/articles/products/article/say-hello-to-eset-smart-security-9-and-eset-nod32-antivirus-9/

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

Can someone else confirm that I read Permamently instead of Permanently ?.....

attachicon.gifmm.JPG

Good observation SweX:) We've already fixed it in the resource files so the fix will be included in the next build of v9.

attachicon.gifmm.JPG

This typo will be fixed (very) soon.

Soon is good enough ;)

I said the following last month to the people wanting more than a simple "soon" for their "when will it be released" questions....

"Why don't we let ESET finish develop V9 and let them release it when its ready for prime time so they don't rush it out while there's still a few quirks left to be fixed, as that would only result in that people will complain and say they released an unfinished product."

To clarify. 1. I don't complain. And 2., I don't think the product is unfinished.

I count this typo as a very very very very very minor quirk that slipped through the quality checks, it's not like it is very hard or impossible to figure out what permamently could mean :D

attachicon.gifmm.JPG

Good observation SweX:) We've already fixed it in the resource files so the fix will be included in the next build of v9.

Very nice Marcos, but no hurry - take your time.....(:

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

One thing I've noticed is trying to edit a recognised network - if you try to do it from the main window there are no 'OK' and 'Cancel buttons so nothing you edit can be saved (pressing enter doesn't work either). :P  But in the Advanced section, the 'OK' and 'Cancel' buttons appear so you can save changes that way.

• Most Valued Members

i would like a clarification.

• New program updates called micro PCUs

if eset wants to update a graphical component, or text section in the GUI, they will just release a small file that will update the relevant components instead of releasing a huge file that will require the user to reinstall the program?

is it like the modules update system in v8?

to double check if I installed the x64 edition : if the eset process in task manager is running in 64bit - that means I installed the 64bit version correctly?

• ESET Insiders

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the ESET team and all the beta testers.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this release.

• ESET Moderators

Daffie, the installer wouldn't let you continue if you chose the 32-bit edition on a 64-bit OS or the other way around, so if you completed the installation, you can be sure it was the correct edition.

I would like to report a bug. My ESS is password protected. If I remove my pw .. then click OK it gives an error. After applying a password and click OK I get the same error too.

window [advanced setup] "An error occured while saving settings. Please make sure you have permissions to change settings."

• Most Valued Members

since i didnt see any error by doing the same procedure, i would suggest to go to the control panel, uninstall a program, find the eset entry and double click it.

then select to repair the installation.

after that reboot the pc. and check if it persists.

since i didnt see any error by doing the same procedure, i would suggest to go to the control panel, uninstall a program, find the eset entry and double click it.

then select to repair the installation.

after that reboot the pc. and check if it persists.

I've done what you suggested (repair). It seems fixed. Thank you :)

/cheers

Edited by Faraways

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to the ESET team and all the beta testers.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this release.

I agree with stackz. Nice job ESET.

And thanks Beta folks-could not have happened without you. :)

Edited by TomFace

Overall I feel that ESET 9 is a little slower.

I have the problem that when browsing the web it sometimes gets laggy and on other times my browser (Pale Moon) automatically minimizes for a couple seconds and I have to wait for the sandbox to disappear and it gets maximized again. Just had it happen here on the forum typing this reaction.

Never had this with the previous version. I upgraded yesterday.

Windows 7 Enteprise x64

Latest ESET version

Latest Pale Moon version

Also a program called Secunia PSI 3.0 takes a lot longer to startup and a lot longer to search for outdated software.

Edited by Daffie

• Most Valued Members

Overall I feel that ESET 9 is a little slower.

I have the problem that when browsing the web it sometimes gets laggy and on other times my browser (Pale Moon) automatically minimizes for a couple seconds and I have to wait for the sandbox to disappear and it gets maximized again. Just had it happen here on the forum typing this reaction.

Never had this with the previous version. I upgraded yesterday.

Windows 7 Enteprise x64

Latest ESET version

Latest Pale Moon version

Also a program called Secunia PSI 3.0 takes a lot longer to startup and a lot longer to search for outdated software.

I use Pale Moon and ESS and have not noticed the lag you speak of on Win 7 X64 Pro.

When is the last time you updated Pale Moon? There was an update today to v25.7.3

25.7.3 (2015-10-14) This is a usability update needed due to the fact that Mozilla has shut down their key exchange (J-PAKE) server along with the old Sync servers. This was unexpected and required us to set up our own key server (testing indicates this works as-expected, but please do report any issues on the forum) - which also required reconfiguration of the browser.

Please note that older versions of the browser will no longer be able to link devices to a sync account using the 12-character code since it requires a Mozilla server no longer present. If you need this functionality, you must update to this version or later.

Source: hxxp://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

I should add that the above is way over my head and offer it as a suggestion and not to say it may be causing your specific problems

Edited by SCR

How do you disable the notification message for LiveGrid when its disabled?

Why would you disable LiveGrid and thus lose protection against newly emerging threats? It's an essential feature similar to real-time protection that should remain enabled at all times. Users used to get infected mainly when they had LiveGrid disabled so it's ok to alert the user by changing the protection status in such case.

Thanks for the reply. I dont like programs sniffing around my system live even if its for protecting the system. This alert did not appeared when disabled in V8. Is there anyway around it in V9?

I also have the same issue like OP and tried clearing the cache and it did not help.

• Most Valued Members

Hi SCR, thanks for thinking along with me.

I noticed the update of PM and installed it. Lets see how it goes in the next days.

You're welcome, hope it resolves your issue.

• Most Valued Members

I dont like programs sniffing around my system live even if its for protecting the system.

then you could remove the AV and disable every security and protection feature of the OS. that way you won't worry about programs meant to protect you if they sniff around :D

• Administrators

I dont like programs sniffing around my system live even if its for protecting the system.

Calling querying about hashes sniffing is way too strong word for that operation.

Calling querying about hashes sniffing is way too strong word for that operation.

Lets say im happy with LiveGrid disabled :)

But I would love to disable the alert. Is there any way around it now or maybe in future V9 updates? I still cant update to latest signature database. Stuck with 12383.

then you could remove the AV and disable every security and protection feature of the OS. that way you won't worry about programs meant to protect you if they sniff around :D

Lets not exaggerate ;)

attachicon.gifmm.JPG

Will you update only the translation support module or the entire program?

Edited by Ego_Dekker