If not ESET - What Else?

Sonoran Desert

If you had to use another malware solution other than ESET which one would it be and why?
I think I would use Webroot as it is light, unobtrusive and fairly reliable and would be my likely choice.
After using or dabbling with Avast, Norton, Bit Defender and Webroot the reasons I have come back to ESET recently and now will always stay with ESET are:

1. My older PC's just choked on Bit Defender, very noticeable slowdown, especially when using Outlook and other Office programs. On my ten year old PC Outlook would not even open with BD installed.
2. With Norton, it would block Outlook email sending and receiving randomly and would generate a lot of FP's with email attachments and documents. Couldn't open or view them even though I knew they were clean/safe.
3. Avast updates would break the mouse drivers and sometimes the keyboard drivers. Usually, would just have to unplug/re-plug the mouse or keyboard to get them working again, not a big problem but a nuisance. The anti-spam module which started stamping every single email my wife sent and received in Outlook with the "SPAM" warning in the subject field. Avast tech support offered no fix for this. There was no simple way to just quit using the anti-spam module without there being a big red X in the Avast taskbar icon saying I was not fully protected.
4. Webroot web filtering extensions, when browsing the internet, the green, yellow, red traffic light safety indicators of their Bright Cloud reporting system keep breaking so instead of seeing a colored dot indicator, would get endless spinning circles. Would have to uninstall/re-install Webroot to fix this and just got to the point where I just disabled the filtering extensions in the browsers. I'm not comfortable with Webroot not scanning emails and attachments either. Although Webroot takes a whole different approach to malware protection than every other solution it seems like too much could go wrong with not scanning emails.

With ESET there are none of these problems. It is just rock solid reliable, causing no problems, don't even know it's there and working. The highest endorsement I can give ESET is that even my wife (who doesn't care to know the how's and why's, nuts and bolts of malware protection) told me "don't use anything other than ESET on my computer anymore" because of the aforementioned Outlook problems Norton, Avast and BD created. Also, in my wife's business she receives a good number of email attachments and ESET routinely intercepts all of the numerous Crytplocker variants and other cooties.

Significant reason: Another point that I very much appreciate about ESET is that I use a reciprocal link creation/management software for my wife's website business. When I use this software to check/verify the reciprocal links are still good/active ESET is checking them too. This morning ESET flagged three of the links (there are over 300 links) and after checking further, sure enough the sites were now compromised/unsafe, ESET was blocking them. ESET is the only malware solution that has ever checked these links when I ran the check/verify process. That ESET is doing this when the others don't even think of it gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling and under no circumstances do I want a viewer of my wife's website to follow one of these reciprocal links to an infected website.

My apologies for the long winded monologue but these are my reasons/my story for choosing ESET. I find it interesting though if not ESET what else would you go with?

Kaspersky Internet Security
F-Secure Internet Security
Emsisoft Anti-Malware

They are all light, reliable and quality software

Edited by sky7

At first thank you for sharing your arguments.
If I couldn't use ESET then I would have a problem I think... ;)
Well, maybe I would give Emsisoft a try, but as I haven't tested it (so much) so I can't evaluate this.

Edited by rugk

I'd be in the same boat with rugk...I'd have a problem :o (but only for a short amount of time).

I have tested Emsisoft and that would be my 1st choice. ;)

Edited by TomFace

• ESET Insiders

Hmm. Tough question to be honest!

I've tried very nearly every AV over the years and I'm yet to find what I'd change to now that I'm with Eset again. I'd likely try F-Secure or Emsisoft, neither of which are cheap where I live but both appear to follow the Eset mantra of light resource usage with solid protection.

I can't say what I would use if I split up with my love since many years back, we are still in love and love each other very much and that's all that matters.  :wub:

I use Eset for many years and I like it.

Then why change a long term winning concept for something else that is not to be associated with the simplicity of ESET, how they run things, and what they stand for. If they would consider your product idea then ESET would enter the "all in one" product territory, and steer away from the simple consumer products that they have developed till this day and what made the ESET brand back in the day, and what it still is today.

A tool that scan Windows, registry, files, applications, etc. if were not damaged or modified of malware, also check if not has been deleted a file or registry key that would cause errors or impairs the functioning of the system.

Sandbox (for browser) for run suspected or sensible sites, also Safe Pay (Keeps hackers at bay by automatically opening all online banking pages in a separate, secure browser, and keeps all necessary credentials safe and within your reach.).

Password Manager (stores, password management) this feature would have function of generate and stores user’s passwords.

Security Vault for encrypt with password the most valuable or personal data.

Wallet (Stores your sensitive credentials and automatically logs you in to all your favourite websites emails and apps.)

Start-Up Manager (Manage all tasks, applications that starts with windows). It is necessary to have a tool that create a secure network connection, VPN (Virtual Private Network).

Browser Configuration Wizard (Performs a security analysis for Web browser Settings.)

Backup (Create a reserve copy of files, documents, etc. on a removable devices or in cloud space. Create a reserve copy even of windows, registry, and others).

Network Monitor (Display all connected devices at home network to prevent unauthorised connection from outside.)

Edited by SweX

I can't say what I would use if I split up with my love since many years back, we are still in love and love each other very much and that's all that matters.  :wub:

Don't get me wrong SweX, I'm not changing my best friend either. We go back a few years as well  :wub: .

But the question was "If you had to use another malware solution other than ESET which one would it be and why?"

Always got to have a "PLAN B". :rolleyes:

Edited by TomFace

Don't get me wrong SweX, I'm not changing my best friend either. We go back a few years as well  :wub: .

But the question was "If you had to use another malware solution other than ESET which one would it be and why?"

Always got to have a "PLAN B". :rolleyes:

I will let you know the day I really have to leave the ship....and even if I say Emsisoft or Webroot today, they could be long gone/or have screwed up their products in some way when its time to change, so this answer may not be relevant couple years from now. And I have tested too few products lately (should be used extensively for a few weeks at least) to know what their current versions is like. So I can't say which one I would be able to stay with before I have tried the ones I may be interested in for a few weeks, but it would probably be one that doesn't plant toolbars or extensions in my browsers, doesn't have 51 other tools that I don't want or need, and of course, doesn't affect the system performance.

Plan B could actually be a new OS  :rolleyes:

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

Well I am planning to switch to something else, after quite a few years as an ESET customer. So any recommendations are welcome

Please don't change to the one anti-virus AV-Comparatives & others are investigating for 'cheating' in AV tests :P

Don't know why you're moving away from Eset if you've been with them for quite a few years. I look for low system usage so I'd give Avira, F-Secure and if you're feeling brave Kaspersky AV or IS or Emsisoft or Webroot (both are different to traditional AV's) a try.

I use Eset for many years and I like it.

Then why change a long term winning concept for something else that is not to be associated with the simplicity of ESET, how they run things, and what they stand for. If they would consider your product idea then ESET would enter the "all in one" product territory, and steer away from the simple consumer products that they have developed till this day and what made the ESET brand back in the day, and what it still is today.

A tool that scan Windows, registry, files, applications, etc. if were not damaged or modified of malware, also check if not has been deleted a file or registry key that would cause errors or impairs the functioning of the system.

Sandbox (for browser) for run suspected or sensible sites, also Safe Pay (Keeps hackers at bay by automatically opening all online banking pages in a separate, secure browser, and keeps all necessary credentials safe and within your reach.).

Password Manager (stores, password management) this feature would have function of generate and stores user’s passwords.

Security Vault for encrypt with password the most valuable or personal data.

Wallet (Stores your sensitive credentials and automatically logs you in to all your favourite websites emails and apps.)

Start-Up Manager (Manage all tasks, applications that starts with windows). It is necessary to have a tool that create a secure network connection, VPN (Virtual Private Network).

Browser Configuration Wizard (Performs a security analysis for Web browser Settings.)

Backup (Create a reserve copy of files, documents, etc. on a removable devices or in cloud space. Create a reserve copy even of windows, registry, and others).

Network Monitor (Display all connected devices at home network to prevent unauthorised connection from outside.)

Depends, I apreciate Eset for it's advanced techniques. I do not see any problems if Eset will steps on "all in one " territory 

• Most Valued Members

Oh geez if not Eset then ? That's a tough question and makes my head to hurt think about it. :blink:  So like jadinolf I will pass and avoid the pain. ;)

• ESET Insiders

@beancounter

I had no problem renewing at https://au.store.eset.com/renewal.

If I had to choose anything else, I would use notepad because of its low false positive detections.

Depends on who you bought the licence from. Pro1 customers are redirected to Microbe whose website doesn't work properly...

As for changing from Eset, on reflection I'd swap to Linux rather than swapping AV solutions as all of the ones I've tried just don't cut it.

• 2 weeks later...

@beancounter

If you have purchased through Pro1 previously and need assistance renewing please contact Microbe on 1300 88 3456, our sales team will be more than happy to assist you with your renewal. 

[Alison C]

@beancounter

If you have purchased through Pro1 previously and need assistance renewing please contact Microbe on 1300 88 3456, our sales team will be more than happy to assist you with your renewal. 

[Alison C]

The trouble is (and this is not the first time I have said so) the licence was purchased from Antivirus Australia.