Change of Representation in Australia

beancounter

I just discovered by accident that Antivirus Australia is no longer the ESET distributor in Australia and I can't find any announcement of the change. Being advised of the change would have been appreciated. 

• Most Valued Members

I just discovered by accident that Antivirus Australia is no longer the ESET distributor in Australia and I can't find any announcement of the change. Being advised of the change would have been appreciated. 

There is a small link on the official ESET Australia website regarding this but only informs on contacting ESET: hxxp://eset.com/au/partners/aa-resellers/

A Google search found a an article on a news website, but I also did find a post on the Whirlpool forums claiming to be from ESET Australia with an explanation.

Hello everyone, this is Eset Software Australia (vendor office, subsidiary of Eset s.r.o.)

As of February 1, Antivirus Australia is no longer distributing Eset products as our business relationship concluded.

We announced this to Antivirus Australia on August 1 with a 6 month notice period which concluded on February 1.

We tried our best to let all resellers know of this change but unfortunately Antivirus Australia never shared any reseller information with us so it is possible we didn't cover 100% of the reseller channel.

If you are an Eset reseller, please get in touch with us by email at au.support@eset.com or visit our official website www.eset.com/au

For media enquires please contact Sasha Iqubal, PR Manager Asia Pacific, at sasha.iqubal@eset.com

With warm regards,

Eset Software Australia

Edited by planet

• ESET Insiders

Yes it would have. It may also explain why my and my partners copies of EMS suddenly stopped working the other evening due to an 'expired licence' on 3 devices all with over 8 months on each licence.

Some background info on the spilt here: hxxp://www.crn.com.au/News/400342,eset-splits-with-long-time-aussie-distie.aspx and here: hxxp://www.crn.com.au/News/402226,eset-ramps-up-channel-expansion-with-new-distie.aspx

I was buying from an approved reseller pro1.com.au who look to be someone else nowadays; the whole thing is rather confusing to be honest.

Edited by TJP

• Most Valued Members

Yes it would have. It may also explain why my and my partners copies of EMS suddenly stopped working the other evening due to an 'expired licence' on 3 devices all with over 8 months on each licence.

Some background info on the spilt here: hxxp://www.crn.com.au/News/400342,eset-splits-with-long-time-aussie-distie.aspx and here: hxxp://www.crn.com.au/News/402226,eset-ramps-up-channel-expansion-with-new-distie.aspx

I was buying from an approved reseller pro1.com.au who look to be someone else nowadays; the whole thing is rather confusing to be honest.

Understood, I'm currently on a license from pro1 which expires in a year or two. I haven't had any licence issues with EMS, ESS, or ECSP however after a year so far. Maybe it is best to email ESET Australia's support regarding your licensing issue so they can check it out?

I do agree that there should be a more noticeable explanation on the ESET Australia website or something about what customers should do or what their options are now.

So, since I changed my ESET subscription in January this year (through Antivirus Australia) will this change cause an adverse effect if I elect to renew my subscription next January?

• ESET Insiders

So, since I changed my ESET subscription in January this year (through Antivirus Australia) will this change cause an adverse effect if I elect to renew my subscription next January?

Retain your username as you should be fine to re-subscribe at a discounted rate with whom ever you like. Eset Australia, Microbe (formally pro1.com.au) or another official reseller should all accept your username for up to 60 days after the licence expires. At the very least I'd expect Eset AU would be able to provide you with the 30% discount as AV-Australia are no longer Eset distributors.

Edit: just tried my username on the Eset AU website to renew; I'm sent to Microbe to purchase another licence (only offers a 3 year subscription!)

If anyone from Eset Australia reads these forums, please provide a list of official Eset resellers on the Eset Australia website. There are far too many dodgy looking websites that purport to be platinum partners and the entire reseller situation is difficult to follow.

Edited by TJP

If anyone from Eset Australia reads these forums, please provide a list of official Eset resellers on the Eset Australia website. There are far too many dodgy looking websites that purport to be platinum partners and the entire reseller situation is difficult to follow.

Thanks for your response. This forum seem to be US-centric so it is possibly too much to expect an official response here. I will try to contact the local distributor and see what sort of response I get. The good news is that at least I have a few months to check out competing products. 

I wouldn't be surprised if ESET Australia is not aware of the existence of this forum. In any case ESET is obviously reluctant to talk about the change

Edited by beancounter

• ESET Insiders

I wouldn't be surprised if ESET Australia is not aware of the existence of this forum. In any case ESET is obviously reluctant to talk about the change

Eset Australia need to sort themselves out ASAP. I too doubt they know this forum exists If the Eset head office is looking to have over 25% of the market here like they have in NZ, they better their act together.

I bought a 2 year licence for Nod32 for a family member yesterday; I searched OzBargains for deals and found a link to a reseller whose website looked as dodgy as a $3 note. I used the Eset Australia website and couldn't use the checkout with Firefox and had to use IE 11 instead :rolleyes::blink:

I too doubt they know this forum exists If the Eset head office is looking to have over 25% of the market here like they have in NZ, they better their act together.

All done without the good marketing material from av-test. Kiwis and aussies are smart people, so the % will go up down under too eventually :D

• ESET Insiders

All done without the good marketing material from av-test. Kiwis and aussies are smart people, so the % will go up down under too eventually :D

I may be developing an irrational dislike for AV-Test :lol:

I like to think we ANZAC's are smart!

• Most Valued Members

Thanks for your response. This forum seem to be US-centric so it is possibly too much to expect an official response here. I will try to contact the local distributor and see what sort of response I get. The good news is that at least I have a few months to check out competing products.

I bought a 2 year licence for Nod32 for a family member yesterday; I searched OzBargains for deals and found a link to a reseller whose website looked as dodgy as a $3 note. I used the Eset Australia website and couldn't use the checkout with Firefox and had to use IE 11 instead :rolleyes::blink:

Have you received any response yet?

I recently purchased a Multi-Device License for a friend from the official ESET Australia store with no issues anymore (Although it used to have issues when the ESET online store launched last year, getting a blank white iFrame in Safari when trying to view the cart), so when my current license expires I'll probably just use the official online store.

There has also been deals and discounts from time to time via email (recently for Australia Day they had 20% off) if you ever signed up for a trial, which is pretty good.

• ESET Insiders

Have you received any response yet?

I recently purchased a Multi-Device License for a friend from the official ESET Australia store with no issues anymore (Although it used to have issues when the ESET online store launched last year, getting a blank white iFrame in Safari when trying to view the cart), so when my current license expires I'll probably just use the official online store.

There has also been deals and discounts from time to time via email (recently for Australia Day they had 20% off) if you ever signed up for a trial, which is pretty good.

Hi. No response as I doubt Eset AU care, or if they do, they have a funny way of showing it  :)  Eset needs a swift kick in the glutes to be honest.

Eset HQ really needs to get things sorted here as there is no point having a quality product if it's being sold by the equivelent of the Dodgy Brothers. There are far too many Eset resellers (many with laughably ###### websites)! The 'official' website doesn't work; the fact that I had to swap browsers at checkout tells me there are basic issues that need sorting. Imagine I'm a new customer and the same thing occurs - a normal person would back out and bad mouth the website and product.

I can't even get a renewal discount through the official Eset AU store as I bought from Pro1 :rolleyes: Funny how I could get a renewal discount when I used Kaspersky IS irrepective of where the licence key was from.

As for the discounts, George at Pro1 used to send discount codes every 3-6 months and even gave me a free EMS licence. I believe he's with Microbe now - who may or may not have swallowed pro1.com.au AKA esetnod32download.com.au AKA esetbusiness.com.au AKA esetprotection.com.au :rolleyes:

Hard not to be bitter when the above goes on.

• Most Valued Members

Hi. No response as I doubt Eset AU care, or if they do, they have a funny way of showing it  :)  Eset needs a swift kick in the glutes to be honest.

Eset HQ really needs to get things sorted here as there is no point having a quality product if it's being sold by the equivelent of the Dodgy Brothers. There are far too many Eset resellers (many with laughably ###### websites)! The 'official' website doesn't work; the fact that I had to swap browsers at checkout tells me there are basic issues that need sorting. Imagine I'm a new customer and the same thing occurs - a normal person would back out and bad mouth the website and product.

I can't even get a renewal discount through the official Eset AU store as I bought from Pro1 :rolleyes: Funny how I could get a renewal discount when I used Kaspersky IS irrepective of where the licence key was from.

As for the discounts, George at Pro1 used to send discount codes every 3-6 months and even gave me a free EMS licence. I believe he's with Microbe now - who may or may not have swallowed pro1.com.au AKA esetnod32download.com.au AKA esetbusiness.com.au AKA esetprotection.com.au :rolleyes:

Hard not to be bitter when the above goes on.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing, there are going to be missed ESET customers if they can't even use the store properly.

I am also in the same situation as you with Pro1, feeling a little lost as to what to do.

When trying to renew my Multi-Device on Microbe (as ESET Australia is telling me to do when I tried to renew with them), they offer me ESET Smart Security for Windows instead... which is definitely not what I'm after.

For ESET Australia to link all customers on the ESET website to pro1.com.au to purchase before their own store was available... what will happen to all of us trying to renew or wanting to go with ESET Australia directly now? There's no announcement, no notice, nothing on the ESET website...  :(

• ESET Insiders

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing, there are going to be missed ESET customers if they can't even use the store properly. I am also in the same situation as you with Pro1, feeling a little lost as to what to do.

When trying to renew my Multi-Device on Microbe (as ESET Australia is telling me to do when I tried to renew with them), they offer me ESET Smart Security for Windows instead... which is definitely not what I'm after.

For ESET Australia to link all customers on the ESET website to pro1.com.au to purchase before their own store was available... what will happen to all of us trying to renew or wanting to go with ESET Australia directly now? There's no announcement, no notice, nothing on the ESET website...  :(

I'd email Eset AU - au.support@eset.com - with your licence details and explain what you want to renew as well as how shoddy things are from a customers point of view. They need to wake up as this is becoming a bad joke.

Type in Pro1.com.au and the URL changes to the website Microbe has on their Facebook page. The Microbe website is rubbish and it's what we have to use to get the 30% renewal discount. The following is what occured just now when I used their website:

• I type in my Smart Security EAV into the renewal code form and I'm told that it's invalid,
  • After a second or two it's decided that I do actually own a valid EAV number,
  • The shopping cart is automatically filled with a 3 year licence for ESS. I cannot change this at all,
  • Adding insult to injury, the shopping cart contains an unwanted CD version that I have to delete, saving me $10.
  • I click on the 'back to shop' button and the website takes a dump in its pants; I get an 'Server Error in '/estore' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error message :rolleyes:

I know there have been accusations of Eset AU stealing clients; these claims have ultimately proven to be false but it provides an insight as to why my and your EAV is linked to Pro1/Microbe. Please let me decide where I'll spend my cash, I don't care about the politics of 'stealing customers'. Why we aren't given an option to buy from Eset AU or from Microbe by supplying two links on the renewal page? This isn't rocket science so getting a renewal shouldn't be this hard. All Aussie EAV's should be good no matter where I or anyone else choses to renew with.

Anyone from Eset AU, USA or Europe reading this? Your preferred Australian reseller doesn't even have Eset listed on their vendor page! Instead they have the following: "Kaspersky’s award winning antivirus and anti-malware software is the best security software available". I'm sure EK is chuffed with this praise :D

In the end, I'm just a customer with a two year licence. Whether Eset HQ or AU do anything to sort out the mess that is our marketplace is up to them. The anti-virus market is highly competitive and people will go elsewhere if the customer service is sub-par.

Edited by TJP

• Administrators

Personally I don't read topics in the General forum on a frequent basis and noticed this just recently. I've contacted a colleague of mine to provide a response on the above mentioned issues as soon as possible. Feel free to pm me or other moderators if you find a particular topic requiring moderator's response unanswered for a longer time.

• ESET Staff

Hi everyone,

This is Chris Richardson (Online Sales & Support Manager) and Dominique Coulson (Channel Manager) from ESET Software Australia, the vendor office located in Sydney.

As of February 1st, Antivirus Australia is no longer distributing ESET products as our business relationship concluded. We announced this to Antivirus Australia on August 1st with a 6 month notice period.

In regards to the discussion above, our partner channel model is very clear.  There are 4 levels of partnership with ESET: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum based on the partners commitment to us. Pro1 Security Solutions were ESET’s first Platinum partner, however they were acquired by Microbe at the end of 2014. Microbe is now currently our biggest Platinum partner, who take care of all Pro1’s customers and licences.

Microbe’s official ESET website: hxxp://www.buyeset.com.au/default.aspx

If you are an ESET reseller and want to discuss anything further, please get in touch with Dominique at dominique.coulson[at]eset.com or 02 9033 8662.

If you are an ESET customer (consumer or business) and need any help with your licence please contact Chris at chris.richardson[at]eset.com or 02 9033 8642. Chris can point you in the right direction to our website or to the reseller you purchased your licence from (for renewing, enlarging, upgrading, purchasing etc.).

If your licence was purchased from the official ESET website and you wish to renew, please follow the link below:
https://au.store.eset.com/renewal

Regards,
ESET Team

ESET Software Australia
02 8080 4300
au.support@eset.com
www.eset.com/au

• ESET Insiders

Good to see some local representation on the forum :)

Can I please get an answer to the following questions: I am a former Pro1 customer who bought an ESS and EMS licence from George. I'm not interested in using Microbe or their website to renew my licences as we now have an official Eset office to buy directly from. My questions are:

• Can I renew my licences at the discounted rate from Eset Australia instead of Microbe?
  • Will you change the policy of renewals being tied to the vendor one bought their licence from? I don't see why I shouldn't be able to pick a vendor of my own choosing if my EAV licence is valid.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers.

• ESET Staff

Hello TJP,

As a customer with an active licence you are entitled to get a 30% discount for all your renewals.

ESET is the vendor, all the other companies you mentioned are our resellers.

We recommend to renew your licence via Microbe, our Platinum Partner. If you are not satisfied with their services please contact us on au.support@eset.com.

Regards,

ESET Team

Wow this sounds like a complete mess. In January this year I purchased a new licence (ESET Multi-Device Security supplied with 2 different user names) from Antivirus Australia (and on their advice) because of issues I had with my previous (business) licence. From the above it sounds like ESET doesn't have access to account details of licences previously issued by Antivirus Australia.

I have no problems with the current ESET products I am using but I am going to need to see evidence that this mess has been cleaned up before I make a decision to renew.

• Most Valued Members

The problem is that Microbe's renewal currently doesn't work - when I try to renew with my username I only receive a renewal for 3 years of 'ESET Smart Security', not my current Multi-Device license. TJP is also getting the same 3 year ESS renewal too, with no option to change it.

Since all previous users were redirected to Pro1 to purchase for a while before the ESET Australia store was available recently, shouldn't there should be a future proof method for all Australian users to renew successfully on Microbe or have the choice to renew with ESET Australia?

Couldn't you automatically provide two options after entering the username on the ESET website to either renew with Microbe or renew with ESET Australia (as well as a brief description why people are seeing Microbe instead of Pro1 too)? If the ESET Australia Store existed when I purchased my multi-device license I wouldn't have gone with Pro1 or Microbe.

Edited by planet

So, at the moment, the multi-device licence appears to be a one-time licence.

Also, there have been comments on low market penetration in Australia. Most Windows PCs come with a pre-installed security product and, generally speaking, purchasers find it easier to just get a licence for the product that the PC came with.  

• ESET Insiders

So, at the moment, the multi-device licence appears to be a one-time licence.

Also, there have been comments on low market penetration in Australia. Most Windows PCs come with a pre-installed security product and, generally speaking, purchasers find it easier to just get a licence for the product that the PC came with.  

You got the low penetration rate correct: "ESET currently holds less than 5 percent market share in Australia, said Raska. It is targetting a similar market share to the footprint it has in New Zealand, which is around 22 percent" - reference: hxxp://www.crn.com.au/News/400342,eset-splits-with-long-time-aussie-distie.aspx

The problem is that Microbe's renewal currently doesn't work - when I try to renew with my username I only receive a renewal for 3 years of 'ESET Smart Security', not my current Multi-Device license. TJP is also getting the same 3 year ESS renewal too, with no option to change it.

Since all previous users were redirected to Pro1 to purchase for a while before the ESET Australia store was available recently, shouldn't there should be a future proof method for all Australian users to renew successfully on Microbe or have the choice to renew with ESET Australia?

Couldn't you automatically provide two options after entering the username on the ESET website to either renew with Microbe or renew with ESET Australia (as well as a brief description why people are seeing Microbe instead of Pro1 too)? If the ESET Australia Store existed when I purchased my multi-device license I wouldn't have gone with Pro1 or Microbe.

You've nailed the siutation planet. All we want is the ability to renew with Eset Australia!

I don't want to use Microbe and I don't care about the issue/claim that Eset Australia is/will be 'poaching' or 'stealing' customers from its distributors (read the stories I linked to earlier). Do what all other vendors do - allow your users to renew with whomever they wish to. This is a non-issue for the likes of Kaspersky Labs, Symantec, Avira etc.

Microbe could be here today and gone tomorrow and then were am I?

Cheers.

• ESET Insiders

Where has the local support personnel gone? A couple of messages and that's all? Shame really as this issue needs to be sorted.

I am not looking forward to having to evaluate competing products but it doesn't seem like I have any choice

You can always resubscribe through Eset AU and demand the 30% discount. I'm unsure if Eset have a region lock on their EAV numbers as I'd suggest looking elsewhere on the internet for a subscription.