• Most Valued Members

Firewall rule area has been redesigned but still no way to arrange my name.

Also would be handy to have a logo for apps when available in this area and possibly a way to remove dead rules 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, peteyt said:

Firewall rule area has been redesigned but still no way to arrange my name.

Also would be handy to have a logo for apps when available in this area and possibly a way to remove dead rules

1, Rules can be renamed. Sorting will be added in one of the next versions.

2, With sorting added, you will be able to sort rules by the usage counter, select those that have been never or seldom used and delete them at once.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Marcos said:

1, Rules can be renamed. Sorting will be added in one of the next versions.

2, With sorting added, you will be able to sort rules by the usage counter, select those that have been never or seldom used and delete them at once.

Good to know. Would Eset ever think about adding a logo in to represent the app in future versions?

I have a feeling the early days had this for eset e.g. as well as the name you'd see the apps default icon which would make identifying rules easier.

Not sure if it would flow as well with the new UI though but could work

• Administrators
11 hours ago, peteyt said:

Good to know. Would Eset ever think about adding a logo in to represent the app in future versions?

An icon is displayed if the application has one:

image.png

Can we have a paths column similar to the application one in pre 16.2

Can we have a button on the Tools page for the Rules page

With the new rules of 16.2.11 its now very time consuming looking through every entry for it location, for me I want to remove entries in many of the windows TEMP locations.

How-to locate temp folder2.pngHow-to locate temp folder.png

Description: Work together with virustotal.
Detail: Bitdefender theta was published in 2019 where they use machine learning to analyse files and add dangerous files to cloud, while eset only represented with nod32. In virustotal lot of vendors using their best product and use cloud system and analytics to show the result. I think about eset in the future want to work together with virustotal to maybe implement eset smart security to the page for better samples and for faster respond to new threats.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just to add to my colleague @Marcos's reply, the detection technology that ESET provides to VirusTotal is not exactly the same as what is generally available to customers. 

While I am unable to go into specifics because they get into some confidential discussions as well as details of our proprietary technologies, I will point out that ESET has partnered with VirusTotal for many years, dating back to when our NOD32 engine was often more recognized than our company name of ESET.  That probably has more to do with why VirusTotal's reports say "ESET NOD32" in them for our detections.

That was many years ago, and since then ESET is a lot more well-known and has added many products to its portfolio, such as ESET Smart Security Premium, ESET Endpoint Security, ESET LiveGuard, ESET Inspector,  ESET PROTECT, and so forth.  I can definitely reach out to ESET's marketing and public relations people to see about the possibility of getting the name changed to something else for branding reasons.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 8/4/2023 at 1:00 AM, SBrown said:

Description: Work together with virustotal.
Detail: Bitdefender theta was published in 2019 where they use machine learning to analyse files and add dangerous files to cloud, while eset only represented with nod32. In virustotal lot of vendors using their best product and use cloud system and analytics to show the result. I think about eset in the future want to work together with virustotal to maybe implement eset smart security to the page for better samples and for faster respond to new threats.

I myself have been using ESET for a very long time. I currently have a license for ESET Smart Security Premium. But I am missing two very important functions in the package - file shredder and VPN.

I hope you add these features (file shredder and VPN) in a newer version. Because from what I can see, competing antivirus companies have these features included in their packages (especially premium packages).

Please consider the wishes of the users.

• ESET Moderators
3 minutes ago, Damjan said:

I look forward to. I myself have been an ESET user for a long time and I am very satisfied. Keep up the good work.

Great, thank you for the positive feedback, appreciated.

I have multiple requests for the firewall module:

1. The Rule Based mode:
    image.pngIn this window, I like to have the following features / changes shown / hidden by a switch called "Erweiterte Optionen"/ "Advanced Options" for example in the area of the green box:
    1. "Edit multiple apps at once", if selected, check boxes will be shown in the first row:
      So, instead of handling one app at a time, each time with ONE UAC interaction like now, you instruct ESET to create a job list, which is worked off after ONE UAC interaction. ESET should still edit or create a new rule for each processed app, but the user have not to confirm this each time, instead only once.
    2. "Sophisticated View":
      I like to have a more sophisticated view, if activated a second row beneath "locale Anwendungen" and "Remotegeräte" is inserted with 4 tabs "undecided" (the view we see already now), "ignore", "permanent blocked", "Established"
      1. The 4 tabs:
        1. "Undecided" is the original one, we see now.
        2. "Ignore" is a list of apps, we moved here because we made the decision to make no decision for now.
        3. "Permanent Blocked" shows the apps, which we like to stay blocked
        4. "Established" shows the Apps with active rules, which are viewable by the drop-down-menu "details"
      2. if "Sophisticated View" is active, instead of "Entsperren"/ "unlock" there are options to move the Apps between the tabs.
    3. "Change rules before unlocking":
      As the "name" consider, a dialog is opened to enable editing the suggested changes.
      In case of multiple chosen apps, there will be a window with multiple tabs. One tab for each application, where you can make your changes, save it, a "apply" them all at once like in point 1.1.
  2. Interactive Mode:
    1. In case of multiple handing requests at once for different applications, they should be "catched" in one Request Window, where you can "thumb" through like a book and which has page numbers and sum of pages shown, so you know what you be up against.
Edited by D1rk

Description: Warn users if a website was created within 24 hours

Detail: I'm not an eset user yet on pc but I think it could be a good idea if eset website protection warn users if a website was created within 24 hours. I know it could be couse false positive but mostly phishing sites are have short life span ( i think), because of fast detection. But sometimes it can slip through on detection.

This is addressed by "Web Access Protection" or "Parental Control", where if we don't allow access to "Uncategorized" then all new/unknown sites will be blocked.

And yes, this will increase the number of blocks/FP. ☹️

Description: Remote Desktop protection

Detail: Make a switch under computer protection or under network protection to detect and block all remote desktop attempt. Attackers sometimes use ConnectWise and other remote desktop programs to connect to your pc behind legit softwares. I think it could be useful but by default it will be disabled, and user depend to turn on or leave it off.

It doesn't have to be a direct browser add-on. Maybe it would be enough to extend the library of blocked elements in already working modules. E.g. Parental Control has a category "Online Advertising", only the blocking is very "subtle". 

• 2 months later...

I am using ESET Smart Security Premium 16.2.15.0

I have searched the forum but didn't find this request;

When a warning pops up regarding a file, threat found, or a file has been blocked temporarily and submitted for analysis, the word "file" has a hyperlink. However, clicking on it does nothing.  Can it please reveal the file name and its location on the hard drive?

The messages about a file 'blocked' temporarily and submitted for analysis  do not show in the log either.

Attached is an example with a threat but the "file" was deleted, but it should still link to the file name and path details information.

Thanks

eset file block 1.png

Edited by Slicendice

4 hours ago, Slicendice said:

Attached is an example with a threat but the "file" was deleted, but it should still link to the file name and path details information.

Search for deleted file in Eset Quarantine. Path details are shown there.

Also, the Detection log entry associated with this event should show the file path.

• Administrators

As long as the alert is shown, you can hover the mouse cursor over the file link to show the path to the file. Later you can find it in the Detections log or Quarantine as itman wrote.

Please note that this topic is for reporting feedback. To discuss particular issues or queries further, please create a new topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately on-demand scanning (including the initial scan after installation) is still single-threaded and very slow in comparison (10-50 mb/s compared to 200-2000 mb/s for multi-threaded AV solutions). So that's something I will keep checking every few years.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Timur Born said:

Unfortunately on-demand scanning (including the initial scan after installation) is still single-threaded and very slow in comparison (10-50 mb/s compared to 200-2000 mb/s for multi-threaded AV solutions). So that's something I will keep checking every few years.

We've made a test with multithread scans and there was virtually no noticeable difference in scan performance. Not every task is suitable for multithread processing.

Yes, but scanning a million files is one of the tasks that *is* suitable for multithread processing. Here is a Full Scan of my C:\ (System + everything else) drive.

ESET (initial scan):

image.png.b474703f98f2e9b78869e887e4926025.png

image.png.73b10b44034b638dc29f9e05ca8dc879.png

Windows Defender (on-demand Full Scan):

image.png.6fc3a230c703078ef01496ae3277ffe9.png

image.png.19d93018c58dd6b437f6a2f26bcaa39d.png 

Avira, Bitdefender and Kaspersky also do multi-threaded on-demand scans with much faster results than ESET. Not sure about the others (like Avast), as it has been some time ago that I checked them.

Edited by Timur Born