Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

With the upgrade to EIS v12.0.27.0, I've (and others) lost the auto-update ability after connecting to the internet (non-dial up). My situation is when I start up in the morning, I do not automatically connect to the internet (I use at&t U-Verse). With v11, it always checked for updates AFTER I connected to my internet connection.

See https://forum.eset.com/topic/17440-eset-12-does-not-update-automatically-at-computer-startup/?do=findComment&comment=86400

When I do start up in the morning, EIS does check for updates, but I am not yet connected to the internet.

Regards.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2015 at 3:46 PM, khairulaizat92 said:

Microsoft a implémenté la fonction p2p sur sa mise à jour Windows, je me demandais si ESET pouvait faire la même chose? 

L'idée est que, lorsque les utilisateurs ESET utilisent le même réseau pour se connecter en ligne, la mise à jour peut être distribuée beaucoup plus rapidement et mieux entre eux.

Honnêtement, je réfléchis à cela car, dans mon magasin, nous fournissons des services pour les ordinateurs, les ordinateurs portables et certaines activités de cybercafés, et tous nos ordinateurs utilisent eset. Ainsi, lorsque les clients souhaitent réinitialiser leur ordinateur, nous installons eset trial sur leur ordinateur tout en leur proposant une licence complète, mais la première mise à jour prend parfois plus de temps, bien que ma vitesse d’internet soit de 20 Mbps.

iTunes Mobdro TutuApp

Bien sûr, je comprends que les mises à jour de la 1ère fois sont volumineuses et lentes, c’est juste que ça pourrait être un moyen de télécharger plus vite ou quelque chose comme ça ;) 

ESET devrait se concentrer sur le pare - feu pour assurer une protection contre les fortes inondations et attaque DDoS

Et quand quelqu'un vous donne l' inondation l' internet sera détecté et arrêté automatiquement sans que vous fassiez rien

Edited by ISHOULI

20 minutes ago, ISHOULI said:

ESET devrait se concentrer sur le pare - feu pour assurer une protection contre les fortes inondations et attaque DDoS

Et quand quelqu'un vous donne l' inondation l' internet sera détecté et arrêté automatiquement sans que vous fassiez rien

This is an English language forum. Please post in English if you expect to get any replies.

Hi Marcos,

I suggested to ESET in the past to give us an easier way of whitelisting by allowing us to multi select folders/apps in one shot rather than having to do it one at a time but they never replied to me or implemented it in the latest NOD32.

See how easy it is to add items to the exclusion with checkbox multi selection method. this is just on example of many AVs out there which allow that

2018-12-10_041833.jpg

Description: improve the recognition of banking websites;

Detail: there are a lot of banking websites for which ESET doesn't suggest me to use "ESET Banking & Payment protection" when I access them. Other antivirus products instead recognize these websites.

For example:

Che Banca: https://www.chebanca.it/

Banca Mediolanum: https://www.bancamediolanum.it/

Poste Italiane: https://www.poste.it/

...and so on.

I know that I can add them manually, but their automatic recognition would be great, especially for non-expert users.

Description: speed up the first scan;

Detail: after installation, ESET performs a first scan that on my PC requires almost 7 hours. Other antivirus products instead on my PC requires 2-3 hours. I know that a deep scan is a good thing, but allow user to perform it at a later time. I think the first scan should be faster.

Description: increase the default value of "minimum verbosity of events to display";

Detail: in some situations, for example when I browse the web and some url are blocked or for example when I'm offline and ESET can't update, I receive a lot of notifications (sometimes with repetition) that not require my intervention. Reduction of these notifications would be appreciated.

I know that I can set it manually, but a new default value would be great, especially for non-expert users.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

Hello,

I have a feedback about a minor change but it would help a lot , when there is a computer scan and a detected threat in the log , it should be colored other than Yellow/Orange maybe red so it can be noticed faster rather than searching the whole log for it

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Rami said:

Hello,

I have a feedback about a minor change but it would help a lot , when there is a computer scan and a detected threat in the log , it should be colored other than Yellow/Orange maybe red so it can be noticed faster rather than searching the whole log for it

Thanks.

There is it Orange and RED displayed.... What do you mean?

11.png

I am very satisfied with ESET today. But I think they could add a sandbox so the user could execute suspicious files without the possibility of infecting the computer. Another thing is please do not do anything that would compromise the system's disengagement as other famous brands did. I really like ESET because of its good detection and low impact on the system.

Edited by Marcos14

It's a really good product. I have noticed you are updating the modules in a way you didn't in the past, or possibly that's my perception. The product internet security has many features.

However, it would be nice to have a new and additional feature that really adds to the protection. Perhaps something like an AI feature, a bit heavy on resources so it should be optional. Or maybe a shielded 'session' (phrase?) for one's browsing experience, that keeps one's browsing activity separate from the rest of the system. Often people  just want to read the content of websites without doing anything, and I'd guess any malware encountered that way could be kept contained if there is a feature for that.

Again, maybe optional because not everyone has a system with the resources for more demanding tasks.

Possibly add an antispam feature for Thunderbird ? Personally I'm on version 5.

Edited by esset

51 minutes ago, esset said:

It's a really good product. I have noticed you are updating the modules in a way you didn't in the past, or possibly that's my perception. The product internet security has many features.

However, it would be nice to have a new and additional feature that really adds to the protection. Perhaps something like an AI feature, a bit heavy on resources so it should be optional. Or maybe a shielded 'session' (phrase?) for one's browsing experience, that keeps one's browsing activity separate from the rest of the system. Often people  just want to read the content of websites without doing anything, and I'd guess any malware encountered that way could be kept contained if there is a feature for that.

Again, maybe optional because not everyone has a system with the resources for more demanding tasks.

ESET already has machine learning. It's called Augur 

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/06/20/machine-learning-eset-road-augur/

They already did many articles of the subject of ML.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, Marcos said:

red are unhandled threats

Could you please elaborate on just what this means? For me, it means Eset didn't fully handle the threat and further user action is required.

I asked this same question in another thread and really didn't receive what I consider a full explanation.  In my case, it was a web based browser javascript detection; ref. here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/17986-detected-threat-shows-in-red/ . The alert Eset generated states "Threat removed" and "The file has been cleaned." Also there is no required user interaction for the threat. I interpret this to be the threat was fully mitigated by Eset. Is this a correct assumption? If so, why are the threat detections shown in the Detected Threats log as red versus yellow?

-EDIT- I always forget that that I have "strict cleaning" enabled for all realtime ThreatSense selections other than for PUA. So it appears that "red" indicates Eset detected and removed the threat without performing any further activities such quarantining it, displaying user threat handling options, etc.. So in essence Eset didn't "handle the threat," it wiped it out instead.   

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
23 hours ago, Marcos14 said:

I am very satisfied with ESET today. But I think they could add a sandbox so the user could execute suspicious files without the possibility of infecting the computer. Another thing is please do not do anything that would compromise the system's disengagement as other famous brands did. I really like ESET because of its good detection and low impact on the system.

Eset doesn't have a way for users to directly test programs in a way for example like Sandboxie does. However Eset does use sandbox technologies. This link talks briefly about the technologies used by Eset https://www.eset.com/uk/about/technology/

1 hour ago, esset said:

59 minutes ago, Azure Phoenix said:

ESET already has machine learning. It's called Augur 

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/06/20/machine-learning-eset-road-augur/

They already did many articles of the subject of ML.

As mentioned by Azure Phoenix Eset does use machine learning. Like he said they have done articles about the issues of ML and AI - Right now it seems to be a buzzword and often spoken about as something new yet it's not. I'm sure a group of people released a new ML/AI product that just used buzzwords and was fake and everyone jumped on the bandwagon - it was done to show how easily it is to hype something up as something it isn't with a few words

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Exclusions should be used with utter care and used only to resolve specific issues that could not be solved other way with the assistance of customer care. Each exclusion creates a security hole since excluded paths will never be scanned by ESET and possible malware won't be detected even if was otherwise detected and blocked.

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

Exclusions should be used with utter care and used only to resolve specific issues that could not be solved other way with the assistance of customer care. Each exclusion creates a security hole since excluded paths will never be scanned by ESET and possible malware won't be detected even if was otherwise detected and blocked.

Exclusions are a function in your product. Those possibles security holes are already there.   So, why not improve the way exclusions are done like above?

Another nice feature for the firewall component that would help a lot with maintaining the firewall rules:

Description: Firewall rules cleanup of unnecessary / invalid entries
Detail: I've set my firewall filter setting to interactive mode, meaning that I can define for every program what the firewall should do. Over the time, you have entries in the firewall rule set about programs that are not existing on the computer anymore. A button for an automatic cleanup of those rules (delete all firewall rules that are pointing to applications that don't exist on the computer anymore) would make it easier to keep the firewall rule list tidy and it also benefits the administration of the rule set.

This one has been bugging me for a while. Eset HIPS default behavior for ask rules that have not received a user response is allow. This is the only HIPS I have used where like default behavior is not block.

Before I get into my suggested enhancement in this regard, overall I agree with Eset's approach. It is designed to prevent a user from creating an ask rule that due to;

• Eset GUI not fully initialized at boot time
  •  Non-response due to user physically not present at device

that could inadvertently lead to critical system/app function being blocked leaving the system inoperable.

However, the fact remains that the default allowed activity could have been malicious or suspicious in nature and needs user review.

I therefore propose the following HIPS enhancement as far as default allow ask rule activity:

1. All such ask rules are logged in the HIPS log.

2. Eset display a non-expiring desktop alert that such default activity has occurred. At boot time, this could be done after the Eset GUI is fully initialized. The alert does not have to more than a notification that such default behavior occurred.

This would alleviate one constantly reviewing the HIPS logs for such activity assuming he previously set logging to the correct level to capture such default activity. 

Edited by itman

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, ISHOULI said:

Details : An anti Dialer Integration To The Current Security Package Would Be Awesome

We are in 2019 when dialers have virtually already died out.

• 1 month later...

A cleanup option for firewall rules when using the interactive mode, that deletes all rules that are pointing to applications that no longer exist on the computer, would be very helpful indeed. (I fully agree with JoMos here above.) 

Especially now more and more applications move to a new folder with every update, the number of useless firewall rules grows rapidly. Deleting them manually isn't a pleasant job and keeping them might slow the firewall after some time.

Edited by AGH1965

Description: Prevent scheduled actions

Detail: Prevent any scheduled actions that might interrupt a scan or any security related operation. For example, scheduled shutdowns, restarts, sleeps, log offs, hibernates, etc.
I think this can be done using an option in settings. Maybe somebody got a better idea to do this?

• 3 weeks later...

Description: Prevent sleep during scan.

Detail: Windows can put the computer to sleep before the scan is finished. That is very annoying. There should be an option to prevent that from happening.

Oops, it's a coincidence that @zeromido asked someting similar here right above. Before I started typing, I first searched the forum for "scan prevent sleep".

Edited by AGH1965

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, AGH1965 said:

Description: Prevent sleep during scan.

I'm not sure if this is possible from technical point of view. Anyways, this topic is monitored by people responsible for making decisions about future features so it will be noted.

Another nice feature for network monitoring.

Description: Ability to take actions such as block MAC/IP address etc...
Detail: Right now the connected home monitor is pretty useless because it is like I know someone connected to my network (good or bad) but I can not do anything about it (like block his access to my computer or from my network).

Description: AdBlock/Guard
Detail: AdBlock is a vital feature for secure browsing and I think it is about the time ESET will add AdBlock features or even partner with AdGuard.