Just two question about v.8

Janus

Hey Eset

Today I have updated my Eset to version 8, and in that regard I have some question, please. Is H.I.P.S. in smart mode more like a behaviour blocker, that  works of course in the boundary of the predefined rules. And does anyone have a screen shot of what the warning notification could look like. Second question goes more like this: I saw that I still have to use the WAIK to create a sysrescue disk under the section "tools". But I can see that from your homepage I am able to create a live rescue disk based on linux. Why is it, that the sysrescue cd under the section "tools" is not linked to the live sysrescue cd/usb, that is in my perspective much easier to handle/create for an average "Home" user.

Kind Regards Janus ( A greeting to SweX, Arakasi and Tomface hope everything is well )    :)

Hey Janus!

I think the questions you're asking are good, we still don't know a lot about the smart mode and what it really is -> "User will be notified only about very suspicious events." Maybe they can give an example of what a "very suspicious event" could be.

Yeah I am fine, I hope you're fine too my friend ;)

I was somehow surprised to find this " Smart mode " in the H.I.P.S. module. Because it has always been my view, that Eset always has limited the users interaction, so that it was the software that took the decisions, more or less.

But I really like the idea, if it is so, that Eset user could choose between classical H.I.P.S. functions, or a more restrained (limited ) behavior blocker in smart mode. I really like the idea of this duality. If it is so....

Yeah I am fine and kicking SweX, after a fine summer =)

Hello Janus! Very good to see you (so to speak :D)!

I am doing OK and am glad to hear you are fine! How are things in Arecibo? ;):P

As far the Smart mode in H.I.P.S. until you pointed it out I was unaware! Interesting :ph34r:

Take care my friend!

I would have loved to been there, (where a certain 007 agent has walked). But for now I hope I have a little bit of luck, regarding Eset answering my two questions. I am just curious regarding their respond. (if i gets any  :)  )

Take care Tomface

Hey Arakasi, and thanks for your kind words  :) . But I guess I am not so much a forum man anymore, due to huge piles of lovely work. (  .. no I am not crazy, yet :blink: but I know it is concerning behaviour LOL). Just curious regarding my two questions. But it is really nice to know that,competent top users (and others) like you and SweX and Tomface is still around to guide and help. I hope Eset appreciate your effort, and ideas. But that , I am sure that they do.

Take care..

Hello, Janus.

You seem to be quite famous. :D

I just like to say that there was another person too, who gave a little (small) feedback recently. :D

And back to topic: Nice questions. I'm looking forward to hear the answers from ESET.

• ESET Moderators

First, yes, Janus is famous and we've missed him...second, we (I know I do) appreciate you all janus, Arkasi, swek, rugk, tomface as top contributors to the Forum and excellent resources for ESET on the Forum (me just posting to this thread with this elite group is an honor). 

Regarding the Smart mode, here is the information I have, but I'm sure that other ESET moderators that are developers can give a more technical response (I only helped to write the news description, below). 

Description

HIPS Smart mode: Only suspicious system events trigger a notification beyond the set of pre-defined rules in Automatic mode (operations such as system registry, active processes and programs). [see NEWS294]

As you all have indicated in this thread, the reason for this new mode was to make less interactions for the user but still filter using HIPS. There are more "very suspicious events" of course, but I'm checking whether that is public information. Basically, the pop-up notifications will display less often than when in Interactive mode and only for certain criteria that ESET has established as "very suspicious." 

Warning notification

This is the notification that a user would see with Smart mode enabled:

post-6-0-05252000-1414691888_thumb.png

The new Filtering mode is between the Automatic and Interactive modes:

post-6-0-06542400-1414691955_thumb.png

• Most Valued Members

First, yes, Janus is famous and we've missed him...second, we (I know I do) appreciate you all janus, Arkasi, swek, rugk, tomface as top contributors to the Forum and excellent resources for ESET on the Forum (me just posting to this thread with this elite group is an honor). 

Also, on behalf of me and Aryeh, each of you (@Janus@Arakasi@SweX@rugk@TomFacesend me a PM with an address that can accept a small package sent from ESET, San Diego.

Absolutely amazing guys!!  :D

Also, on behalf of me and Aryeh, each of you (@Janus@Arakasi@SweX@rugk@TomFacesend me a PM with an address that can accept a small package sent from ESET, San Diego. 

attachicon.gifESF gift oct30.jpg

For some reason my heart took an extra beat and my hands got all sweaty  :wub:

I actually didn't know that you knew that my birthday is Nov 6. Psychic powers I guess....or just good timing  :D

And thank you for your kind words above, I can only say the same about you, Aryeh, and all the other mods too. And thanks for the information and screenie about the smart mode. I am not sure if you are "the man" behind the KB site and does all the work on the KB articles. But I think you (plus if there is some more people involved) do a fantastic job with that.  :)

Edited by SweX

Hello foneil

As I wrote in my pm, thanks for the kind words, they are very much appreciated. Foneil, did you noticed my second question in my original post? If not then it comes here as a copy and paste: " I saw that I still have to use the WAIK to create a sysrescue disk under the section "tools". But I can see that from your homepage I am able to create a live rescue disk based on linux. Why is it, that the sysrescue cd under the section "tools" is not linked to the live sysrescue cd/usb, that is in my perspective much easier to handle/create for an average "Home" user" . I am just wondering why Eset is still using WAIK in your product for home users. when you have created such a fine product as your live sysrescue cd.

Kind regrads Janus =)

• ESET Moderators

SysRecue Live is only available as a standalone utility at the moment.

There are two Utility pages with tools for SysRescue, the 

International hxxp://www.eset.com/int/download/utilities/

and North American hxxp://www.eset.com/us/download/utilities/

The North American page links to SOLN3509, "How do I use ESET SysRescue Live to clean my computer?" and that has both methods for creating SysRescue. 

The International page takes you to the iso download. 

Other SysRescue thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3275-eset-sysrescue-live-small-feedback/?hl=sysrescue

Thank you Fer for your kind words, and thank you Aryeh as well.

I love helping and supporting ESET.

It has been an honor to meet majority of the people at the top, as well as the opportunity to become a partner, and assist with anything and everything i can on the forums.

No security company will ever sway my allegience or impress me in the amount that ESET has.

The people behind the support and security against malware, are even greater than the product itself.

...and yes, Foneil is one of the contributors behind the KB articles, but common sense tells you he works on a team. They all do a fantastic job here as well as in the departments they work in.

I presume they are hard in development in having the linux sysrescue incorporated into the windows software, however much planning must go into cross system integration, since at current time, windows ESET products create a windows boot disk. :)

Maybe a link in the gui to the linux building tool below the windows, will suffice.

Edited by Arakasi

Yeah, thanks to @foneil and @Aryeh Goretsky and thanks to all other people behind ESET!

Very thanks for this gift (although I still don't know what exactly it is :D), but especially thanks for all the nice products you created!

Stick to your principles and enjoy safer technology! :D

Related: ESET Ranks Among Fastest Growing Big Tech Companies in Central Europe for More than a Decade

And...

@foneil

In your first post in this topic, you wrote @SweX's name a bit wrong...

And in some of the other names there are missing some letters too.  :)

Edited by rugk