This Software Make Your Computer Very Slow

Diay

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding this anti-virus software, since they installed it to my computer the performance is becoming poor, it makes my computer very slow most of the time. Its getting me pissed all the time specially when I am working. Can somebody help me on this matter? is there any way to configure the settings of this software? I am trying but I don't even find where it is.

Please give me an advise because this is irritating specially when you are working. 

Thanks.

• Administrators

The slowness could be caused by malware running on the computer. If you think it's caused by ESET, please narrow it down as follows:

- temporarily disable real-time protection

- disable Self-defense and restart the computer

- disable HIPS and restart the computer

- rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode, one at a time

Does any of the above steps make the problem go away?

He don''t tell us his operating system or service pack either1

I run XP pro and NOD32 is about the fastest AV I can find, certainly doesn't slow me down and non-bloated unlike the last one I had, no name no flame wars, but there were pop ups after pop ups, and installed unwanted programs if you wasn't alert.... there's a clue.

For slowness 'I myself' would be running a virus scan followed by a Malware scan with Malwarebytes or similar... remember anti virus and anti malware programs are entirely different things.

The last AV I had I used the un-install tool, boy what a load of rubbish it left behind, there were loads of registry entries and some files left over, some were protected and I had to alter permission to delete them, so now whenever I un-install ANY AV  now I do a manual search after.... I never noticed this issue with NOD32..... geesh, my machine flew after removing it and installing NOD32.

There might be a few gurus here waiting to help I doubt they are telepathic, a little more info would be most helpful.....

Operating system, service pack if any, amount of RAM and previous anti virus program, you don't even tell us what you have tried or what programs are affected.

Dave

I've a Windows 7 64bit operating system running 12GB RAM with Malwarebytes Premium and NOD32 Antivirus.

The two programs running together, defintely slow my Intel i7 3770K CPU and delay closing Firefox tabs and programs.

If I end the process on either product the CPU works brilliantly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Administrators

I'd strongly suggest disabling real-time protection in MBAM as it may not only clash with ESET but also negatively affect system performance. It's crucial that only one real-time protection module runs at a time.

I've a Windows 7 64bit operating system running 12GB RAM with Malwarebytes Premium and NOD32 Antivirus.

The two programs running together, defintely slow my Intel i7 3770K CPU and delay closing Firefox tabs and programs.

If I end the process on either product the CPU works brilliantly.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Running two security programs that lively check/scan files is simply asking for trouble! You DONT NEED MBAM PRO runnin when you have an Antivirus, that's just insane and asking for trouble

Excuse me people. But MBAM Pro was designed to run along side any antivirus. Is is needed? No. But since the OE poster has yet to come back we have nothing else to go on. MBAM is not an antivirus program. if you make the proper exclusions it works just fine. 

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Very generally speaking, it may be okay to run multiple anti-malware programs together, providing only one is "active" at a given time, i.e., has its "real-time" or "on-access" features enabled and, as LabVIEW707 noted, they are properly configured to exclude each other.  However, problems can occur from time-to-time when one program or the other does something that conflicts with the other, usually as the result of an upgrade to one of the programs. 

So, what does this mean in the real world?  Basically, a little caution is advised:  Don't roll out upgrades to your security software without testing them for compatibility first.

While that's probably an unsurprising answer for those who work in IT, it can be a little surprising to non-technical folks, who don't necessarily think about what sorts of complications might arise from conflicts between security programs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

Very generally speaking, it may be okay to run multiple anti-malware programs together, providing only one is "active" at a given time, i.e., has its "real-time" or "on-access" features enabled and, as LabVIEW707 noted, they are properly configured to exclude each other.  However, problems can occur from time-to-time when one program or the other does something that conflicts with the other, usually as the result of an upgrade to one of the programs. 

So, what does this mean in the real world?  Basically, a little caution is advised:  Don't roll out upgrades to your security software without testing them for compatibility first.

While that's probably an unsurprising answer for those who work in IT, it can be a little surprising to non-technical folks, who don't necessarily think about what sorts of complications might arise from conflicts between security programs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I never belived in this exclusions thing, yes you are excluding NOD32 from scanning MBAM and excluding MBAM from scanning the NOD32 folder right.....who cares?

But what happens when you run file called ABCD.exe......wouldn't both NOD32 and MBAM scan it at the same time causing slow down AND maybe some other problem? I would never ever run 2 live security programs together.

If I had some average free antivirus, then I would keep MBAM to scan files manually as a second opinion or for doing weekly scans. But when I have one of the tope AVs in the market such as NOD32, Avira Antivirus Pro (not the crappy free version), Kaspersky, or Bitdefender, etc. then having MBAM is just a waste of space and resources. Why? check the ratings on AV Comparatives, these AVs have 99.X +++ % of bloacking real world viruses and 0 day explits, no thank you I will never run MBAM! heck, the few times I did run it just because of seeing how much people make it sound like the best out there for malware detection, all it caught was false positives which MBAM's support refuse to whitelist despite me showing them proof that the files are safe on virus total. Their reply was "this is a PUP so we won't whitelist it!"

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

It may be okay to run multiple anti-malware programs together, providing only one is "active" at a given time, i.e., has its "real-time" or "on-access" features enabled.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I never belived in this exclusions thing, yes you are excluding NOD32 from scanning MBAM and excluding MBAM from scanning the NOD32 folder right.....who cares?

But what happens when you run file called ABCD.exe......wouldn't both NOD32 and MBAM scan it at the same time causing slow down AND maybe some other problem? I would never ever run 2 live security programs together.

If I had some average free antivirus, then I would keep MBAM to scan files manually as a second opinion or for doing weekly scans. But when I have one of the tope AVs in the market such as NOD32, Avira Antivirus Pro (not the crappy free version), Kaspersky, or Bitdefender, etc. then having MBAM is just a waste of space and resources. Why? check the ratings on AV Comparatives, these AVs have 99.X +++ % of bloacking real world viruses and 0 day explits, no thank you I will never run MBAM! heck, the few times I did run it just because of seeing how much people make it sound like the best out there for malware detection, all it caught was false positives which MBAM's support refuse to whitelist despite me showing them proof that the files are safe on virus total. Their reply was "this is a PUP so we won't whitelist it!"

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

hey i am using win 10 1511 with eset smart security  9.when i give smart scan . other apps may getting slow why

What kind of CPU do you use? If it's a multicore one with hyper-threading support, are other resource intensive tasks running at the same time?

Ye ,  so am I , I used MBAM Pro (Enable filesystem protection + Enable malicious website blocking ) enabled.  with Nod 9.0.386 Antivirus with only the antivirus protection and Internet protection disabled. and I had slow down and high DPC with the file Wdf01000.sys , the DPC just sky rocket randomly, as soon I've disable both protection, I didn't have issue anymore. I'll just keep MBAM realtime protection disabled just for scanning only software.

You can check your DPC using LatencyMon  for free, just search google.  

This happened with windows 10 x64 ,  my windows 8.1 laptop with no MBAM installed at all with Eset 9.0.386 I don't have DPC issues.

Can I just use MBAM Malicious website protection ?

Could Eset 9.0.386 have issue with DPC in windows 10 ?  as soon as I open Chrome same as other person and he uses Windows Defender,  my nvlddmkm.sys DPC going high with 1080GTX card which nvidia fixed with hotfix driver.  for him he doesn't have the jumps.  could HIPS cause it ? if I disable the RealTime Protection does it disable HIPS ?  or do I need to disable HIPS alone and then restart for it to work ?

HIPS causing DPC Latency problem, after disable HIPS and RealTime Protection and restarting windows I didn't have any jumps... what can I do to fix it ?  For some reason I don't have issue with my laptop windows 8.1 but issue with windows 10 .

Edited by x7007

x7007...Have you tried a different browser? I use ESS 9.0.381.0 along with MBAM (real time-full protection) on a Win 7 machine and have no issues. Been using them together for years-I do not use Chrome (don't like Google) I use IE11 and Firefox.

Do not want W10.

Disabling portions of software for program troubleshooting is fine, but doing it to function daily is unacceptable in my opinion

Edited by TomFace

I had slow down and high DPC with the file Wdf01000.sys

This driver is notorious for causing latency issues. Just Google search about it.

Usually a device issue mostly from USB. Do you have Eset USB protection enabled? If so, disable that an see if that resolves the issue.

I had slow down and high DPC with the file Wdf01000.sys

This driver is notorious for causing latency issues. Just Google search about it.

Usually a device issue mostly from USB. Do you have Eset USB protection enabled? If so, disable that an see if that resolves the issue.

Where is that protection setting ?

As soon as I disable RealTime Scan and HIPS I don't have jumps with nvlddmkm.sys  . Wdf01000.sys had jumps because MBAM , I had both protection enabled, MBAM and Eset.  as soon as I disabled MBAM It didn't happen anymore.

Note: do this only temporarily to see if it resolves the latency issue. Turn off the "integrate into the system" option as noted below. I know in ver. 8, it is disabled by default.

4.1.3 Device control

ESET NOD32 Antivirus provides automatic device (CD/DVD/USB/...) control. This module allows you to scan, block or

adjust extended filters/permissions and define a users ability to access and work with a given device. This may be

useful if the computer administrator wishes to prevent use of devices with unsolicited content by users.

Supported external devices:

Disk Storage (HDD, USB removable disk)

CD/DVD

USB Printer

FireWire Storage

Bluetooth Device

Smart card reader

Imaging Device

Modem

LPT/COM port

Portable Device

All device types

Device control setup options can be modified in Advanced setup (F5) > Device control.

Turning the switch on next to Integrate into system activates the Device control feature in ESET NOD32 Antivirus;

you will need to restart your computer for this change to take effect. Once Device control is enabled, the Rules will

become active, allowing you to open the Rules editor window.

Note: do this only temporarily to see if it resolves the latency issue. Turn off the "integrate into the system" option as noted below. I know in ver. 8, it is disabled by default.

4.1.3 Device control

ESET NOD32 Antivirus provides automatic device (CD/DVD/USB/...) control. This module allows you to scan, block or

adjust extended filters/permissions and define a users ability to access and work with a given device. This may be

useful if the computer administrator wishes to prevent use of devices with unsolicited content by users.

Supported external devices:

Disk Storage (HDD, USB removable disk)

CD/DVD

USB Printer

FireWire Storage

Bluetooth Device

Smart card reader

Imaging Device

Modem

LPT/COM port

Portable Device

All device types

Device control setup options can be modified in Advanced setup (F5) > Device control.

Turning the switch on next to Integrate into system activates the Device control feature in ESET NOD32 Antivirus;

you will need to restart your computer for this change to take effect. Once Device control is enabled, the Rules will

become active, allowing you to open the Rules editor window.

It is disabled default on 9 too. I never enabled it.

Did you add exclusions for MBAM Pro's directories and processes in Eset's AV whitelist and HIPS? Likewise, add the same exclusions in Eset for MBAM Pro.

Did you add exclusions for MBAM Pro's directories and processes in Eset's AV whitelist and HIPS? Likewise, add the same exclusions in Eset for MBAM Pro.

I didn't would it help ?

I didn't would it help ?

As a rule, you should always do that when using more than one security product with real time and/or behavioral/HIPS scanning. Besides possible system slowdowns, the products could conflict with one another resulting in protection issues.  

A recommendation is to also set one AV real time scanner to scan upon execution only with the other to scan upon access/creation to minimize performance impacts. In your case, I would recommend leaving Eset's default settings alone and modifying MBAM Pro real time settings to scan upon execution only.

A recommendation is to also set one AV real time scanner to scan upon execution only with the other to scan upon access/creation to minimize performance impacts. In your case, I would recommend leaving Eset's default settings alone and modifying MBAM Pro real time settings to scan upon execution only.

The general explanation is that MBAM would detect "on execution" while an AV is supposed to detect "on access", which seems to be true if you strictly refer to signature base detection.

However, most of AV's have heuristic/ behavior modules which are suppose to provide protection against "zero day"  and which will trigger on execution , so basically at the same time with MBAM.