Blink open windows in OS Windows 8.1/10 after upgrading to ESS9

I think I figured out what the problem is. When you open the ESS9 service-additional -network connections, then a flashing windows appear. To solve this need to choose another tab, and close the GUI.Video proves it in the attached file. I hope the guys from ESET fix it soon.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I tried but could not reproduce this issue. Could it be caused by a combination of other software, or an outdated graphics driver?

Hello TomasP

I'm afraid not. This problem creates precisely ESS9. I reinstalled Windows 10. Then install only the latest drivers and updates. Only then was installed ESS9. The problem appeared. I just constantly monitors what processes are connected to the Internet and therefore stumbled on this problem. If not the open "network connections" in the ESS9 then everything works as it should. I installed the English version of ESS 9 so I can tell you precisely where to look for the problem.

Reproduce this issue step by step:

1: Open Task Manager in Windows.

2: Open ESET GUI.

3: Choose a "Tools".

4: Then choose a "More Tools".

5: Then choose "Network Connections"

6: Close ESET GUI (Do not change anything, just close).

7: Task Manager should start blinking.

PS: On my laptop with Windows 8.1 problem is also present.

• Most Valued Members

Reproduce this issue step by step:

7: Task Manager should start blinking.

Followed the steps and I was able to recreate the blinking in Windows 10.

I did this test on XP.

1. I had Firefox with this thread open,

2. open task manager,

3. open GUI and went through the steps in order.

4. closing GUI, after closing the GUI - the browser window "header" at the very top was blinking in 1sec intervals for around 10-15 seconds

edit: no the header continues to blink randomly every now and then hmm...

I will update this post soon as I have noticed some blinking text in the GUI before, but not sure if the problem is connected or not.

edit2: Alright, no video from me but try this.....

Place your cursor where I tried to paint out a red cursor in the screenshot below.

When I do that, then the actual text "number of cleaned objects" starts to blink in 1 sec intervals.

post-320-0-38128200-1445292585_thumb.jpg

It doesn't matter which of the three lines "infected, cleaned, clean" I place the cursor, they all start blinking when the cursor is placed on either of them. Maybe they are supposed to blink when the cursor is placed on there ? I don't know. But it is the same type of blinking that my browser header was doing after the "close gui test".

Edited by SweX

• ESET Moderators

Alright, so I tried the issue on a physical machine instead of a virtual one and could see the blinking on some occasions, but not every time.

Anyway, I reported it to our developers so that they can have a look at it.

• 2 months later...

It has been almost three months since I found a problem in the ESS9, and point you to it. Today, finally got a new build 9.0.349. But there is no limit to my frustrations. Apparently you did not just not fixed the problem, you did not even try. I can not understand. How can you so reckless attitude to the product that you produce. You just took and spit in my face like all people using your products. How do I now can continue to use your products after this? In February, ends the ESS license and I think twice to renew it to me or not.

• Administrators

We value every input and feedback from our users. With the overwhelming list of features and improvements planned for future versions, each has to be assigned priority so not all can make it to the next build. Moreover, the scope of things to implement in the next build is closed months before the release as additional time is needed for localization and QA testing. I've inquired developers as to what could be done about this issue.

Yeah! I smashed the car repaired for a one week, and you are a few lines of software code in the three months did not bother to fix it.

Good luck in YOUR business.

As a user, I just tried to see the problem. I saw it happen, to put it bluntly, WHO GIVES A DAMN ? I for one, think about all the software problems out in the wild and couldn't care about something that has nothing to do with how well a security program works.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I found out what causes this in my system....

in network connections set 1 second interval refresh and click close (X) . After this i got flickering in all windows.

fix: go back again eset window (should show network connections) and click back arrow (<-) and than close button (X).

Just don't close window in network connections...  :)

PS.: Sorry my bad english.

Alright, so I tried the issue on a physical machine instead of a virtual one and could see the blinking on some occasions, but not every time.

Anyway, I reported it to our developers so that they can have a look at it.

It's now been 10 months since you reported this to the developers and the problem still exists.

The problem is intermittent, but when it does happen it is extremely distracting.

It seems to effect both Windows and various programs.

For example, I can be editing video in Sony Vegas Pro and all of a sudden the Preview Windows starts flashing.

So each time this happens, I go to Network Connections and change the Refresh Speed to 30 seconds.

I use the Network Connections window all the time, which means I then have to change the refresh rate back to 1 second so that I can accurately monitor download/upload traffic.

I have the very latest build version of Smart Security installed v.9.0.402.0

Can you please provide an update, otherwise I am seriously thinking about using a different program altogether.

I have been using ESET for 8 years and really do not wish to change.

This one problem is becoming a big issue.

Regards

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

yes problem still in eset 10, i also noticed this awhile ago trying everything then realized was eset causing the flicker. It can be really anoying once it starts as task manager and everything is affected.

• ESET Insiders

Just found this on a google search looking for Task Manager blinking. It also blinks the right click menus in Windows. I hope the fix it, or at least change the screen when you close the UI so it does not persist. Currently running ESS 9.0.402.0.