MacOS 11 Update Issues

Is anybody else running into issues installing MacOS Updates while ESET is running?

For the MacOS 11.1 to 11.2 upgrade, we've had to boot into Safe Mode it seems.  For the MacOS 11.2 to 11.2.1 upgrade, we've had to disable all ESET protection before it would work.

We are using ESET Endpoint 6.10.460.1.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks!

Yes, I can confirm this behavior on at least macOS Big Sur devices. I opened a ticket with support and was essentially told that ESET support for Big Sur is not fully available even though their public facing support page says it is fully supported minus the firewall and device control.  I was told full support is coming in March with a new version that I hope fixes this.  It is rather annoying to have to uninstall ESET to install critical OS patches. 

Same issue here. But that safe mode boot is also a cure for MDM update bug from 11.1.

https://micromdm.io/blog/big-sur-softwareupdate/

So I don't know if it is entirely esets fault or both. Also some users are reporting poor network experience when the eset proxy is active.

12 hours ago, kingoftheworld said:

Yes, I can confirm this behavior on at least macOS Big Sur devices. I opened a ticket with support and was essentially told that ESET support for Big Sur is not fully available even though their public facing support page says it is fully supported minus the firewall and device control.  I was told full support is coming in March with a new version that I hope fixes this.  It is rather annoying to have to uninstall ESET to install critical OS patches. 

Thanks for the information!  We kept trying different combinations until we finally realized it was ESET.  I find it odd that ESET hasn't published this as a known issue.

Now to figure out what to have our end users do for the few machines that are deployed with Big Sur (luckily, there's only about 5 of those right now... and we have an MDM block prohibiting updating to Big Sur for the Catalina machines).

We are experiencing the same issue, update to 11.2.1 can't install when ESET is present. 

Is there any official statement from ESET about this?

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

thank you for your reports, I checked it with the QA and Dev, they are aware of this issue.

Once the upgrade fails, can you please collect the logs as described at https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404-use-eset-logcollector-on-macos-and-send-the-logs-to-eset-technical-support?ref=esf 

upload them to a safe location and send me a private message with the download details and reference to this forum topic? 

Once you do, the work-around is to disable the Web access protection to apply the upgrade.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused,

Peter

10 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

thank you for your reports, I checked it with the QA and Dev, they are aware of this issue.

Once the upgrade fails, can you please collect the logs as described at https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404-use-eset-logcollector-on-macos-and-send-the-logs-to-eset-technical-support?ref=esf 

upload them to a safe location and send me a private message with the download details and reference to this forum topic? 

Once you do, the work-around is to disable the Web access protection to apply the upgrade.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just sent you an email.

Do you happen to know if there's any type of Script I can push out from our MDM to disabled Web Access Protection for the time being?  Our users generally do not have administrative rights, so the workaround of disabling Web access protection is a bit cumbersome.

Thanks!
~Allen

• ESET Moderators
On 2/12/2021 at 11:13 PM, Allen Howard - CMU said:

Do you happen to know if there's any type of Script I can push out from our MDM to disabled Web Access Protection for the time being?  Our users generally do not have administrative rights, so the workaround of disabling Web access protection is a bit cumbersome.

Hello Allen,

you can apply a policy via ESET PROTECT / ESET Security Management Center / ESET Remote Administrator to disable the Web access protection.

I would probably create a Dynamic group to enable it again for systems, which were already successfully upgraded.

Regards, Peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you have any update on this?  I'm just curious when a fix might be expected?

The way the systems are here, it is difficult for us to manage as our users are not administrators, and we do not have direct control of their machines in the ESET Management Center (that's controlled by another department), so it's becoming a bit of a workflow nightmare.

Thanks,
~Allen

Hi it looks like  I am impacted by this. I closed ESET and "killed" any associated processed and it  updated with no problems.

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

We are in the process of finalizing a new version of Endpoint with all system extensions compatible with Big Sur 11.2. It should be released towards the end of March.

Thanks, Marcos.  It'll be nice to have these issues fixed for our users and techs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 4:40 AM, Marcos said:

We are in the process of finalizing a new version of Endpoint with all system extensions compatible with Big Sur 11.2. It should be released towards the end of March.

Hi Marcos,

Do we have any insight when this will be released?

Thanks!
~Allen

• ESET Moderators
13 hours ago, Allen Howard - CMU said:

Do we have any insight when this will be released?

We hope soon as the release is quite expected, but as far as I know the exact date has not been set yet.

Peter

• Administrators

We are in the process of QA testing and fixing bugs that were found. We expect the new version to be released soon (towards the end of March or by the beginning of April).

On 3/24/2021 at 3:30 AM, Marcos said:

We are in the process of QA testing and fixing bugs that were found. We expect the new version to be released soon (towards the end of March or by the beginning of April).

Hi Marcos,

I see that version 6.10.900.0 has been released, although the release notes make no mention of fixing this bug.

Do you know if this bug has been corrected in version 6.10.900.0?

Thanks!
~Allen

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Allen Howard - CMU,

16 hours ago, Allen Howard - CMU said:

I see that version 6.10.900.0 has been released, although the release notes make no mention of fixing this bug.

Do you know if this bug has been corrected in version 6.10.900.0?

Yes the issue is resolved in the released version (P_EES6M-6319), actually it has been fixed during the BETA.

Peter