xp end of support

Go to solution Solved by SweX,

Sorry if this has been asked countless times already, but search didn't locate any answers.

Simple question: does ESET Smart Security protection make it reasonably safe to continue using XP? I would like to avoid migrating to Windows 7, and I won't migrate to Windows 8 under any circumstances.

Edited by Goldenyears

Hello Goldenyears,

Yes ESET software NOD32/ESS will continue to work under XP as they do today last I heard.

Though, if your computer can run Win7 then I would really consider to upgrade. 

In my case it's not worth it at all so I will buy a new computer instead of upgrading the OS. But it won't run Win8/8.1 I can promise you that.  ;)

I believe there are softwares out there an XP user can run to try to stop an attack, Google around and you shall find some answers. But a permanent OS fix by MS is still much better and safer.

If ESET alone will be enough without the OS patches after April 8. IMO the answer is No.

I think you know the golden rules

Keep your OS up to date.

Keep your software, browsers, etc etc up to date....  

But following the rule "keep the OS "up to date" after April 8 is more of an mission impossible.

I wonder how many XP users that would show up on an official XP funeral if MS would have one.  -_-

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

Hi

I think there is, as always, a lot of "IF...THEN" situations and a number of compromises.

You can jump to Linux ;-) In these circumstances - your XP is left without security fixes (as SweX stated - it's essential security measure) + you are hesitating to migrate to Win7 / Win81 - could be the perfect time for switch? Ubuntu is now polished.. if new GUI is too hardware intensive - you can select Lubuntu.

Unless you have some superimportant unique custom-made hardware / software.. in which case you shouldn't connect to the Net with this machine in first place - thus, patches are not important at all (as they can smash OS, too).

ESET will do its best in a nonpatched environment for years... you can install some ESET's programs even on Windows 2000, cca four years after its EoS!

<OFFTOPIC>
Can you guys please elaborate why not switch to 8.1? :-)
I was a bit of "hesitating Win8 type", too, but now that I installed 8.1 on two computers - I love it! And one of them is not-at-all-new laptop with rather small and slow disk. Of course, it takes some time to adjust to changes. I *do* miss classic Start button and I try to hit it about 500 times a day :-) But I still don't want to tweak Win8 to enable it - I just want to train myself into "new interface"!

</OFFTOPIC>

Tomo

Hello Pod,

You can proceed to www.ninite.com and select Classic start to have your start menu re-integrated in to windows 8 or 8.1

No more clicking and receiving unexpected results.

I hated windows 8, but then i bought a touchscreen laptop and am using it now. I absolutely love it as well.

Still will not use it in a desktop environment though.

Hello Goldenyears,

Yes ESET software NOD32/ESS will continue to work under XP as they do today last I heard.

In my case it's not worth it at all so I will buy a new computer instead of upgrading the OS. But it won't run Win8/8.1 I can promise you that.  ;)

I believe there are softwares out there an XP user can run to try to stop an attack, Google around and you shall find some answers. But a permanent OS fix by MS is still much better and safer.

If ESET alone will be enough without the OS patches after April 8. IMO the answer is No.

Keep your OS up to date.

But following the rule "keep the OS "up to date" after April 8 is more of an mission impossible.

I wonder how many XP users that would show up on an official XP funeral if MS would have one.  -_-

I'd be there! I loved my XP machine, but it died :(. 7 is OK (I have adapted), but I have heard too many 8 horror stories :unsure:.

So Swex-what will you choose? Inquiring minds want to know :P!

Edited by TomFace

Swex is debating OSX lol :blink:

/run /hide

What do you mean lol ^_^  You should be happy that i'm not debating Win 8.1 and consider that an "upgrade" option as I will use the OS in a desktop environment just like you.  :lol:

/come back /be happy 

I hated windows 8

That's understandable. I still do. :P

but then i bought a touchscreen laptop and am using it now. I absolutely love it as well.

That's understandable, as that is what it was designed for.  :D

Still will not use it in a desktop environment though. 

That's understandable. Same here!   ;)

Edited by SweX

Hello Goldenyears,

Keep your OS up to date.

I'd be there! I loved my XP machine, but it died :(. 7 is OK (I have adapted), but I have heard too many 8 horror stories :unsure:.

So Swex-what will you choose? Inquiring minds want to know :P!

Alright, OSX is an OS I like so that's decided, but i've yet to decide exactly when, and wich Mac model to buy, but we'll see over the coming months. It all kind of depends on Apple too.  :)

Yes if MS would just have continued with the Sec Patches, I wouldn't have any problem staying with XP for a while longer.  ^_^

Edited by SweX

Thanks for the discussion.

I have a proposed solution to enable me to continue using Win XP desktop and be protected (I think). It's simple... stop using my Win XP machine for internet access. Upgrade my laptop to Win 7 or Win 8 for internet access. Continue running ESET Smart Security on both machines. But I wonder if it will also be necessary to take the Win XP machine off my wireless home network in order to be protected against security threats from the internet. I'd still like to be able to share peripherals and move files between the desktop and the laptop. Surely there must be some setting that isolates the Win XP machine from internet access through the laptop and the wireless network.

If you discontinue use of your browser, email, and usb storage devices on your XP machine, you most likely won't have anything to worry about as far as malware and exploits.

You can still share files back and forth on your XP machine and windows 7 machine, but any trojans or exploits that target network shares or similar will still be able to jump to your XP machine, however having ESET installed on both should provide that added protection required to continue with your idea. :)

but any trojans or exploits that target network shares or similar will still be able to jump to your XP machine, however having ESET installed on both should provide that added protection required to continue with your idea. :)

Yep I think so too.  :)

Today I updated XP via WU, it finished a bit faster than usual as their was no .NET updates this time. Compared to last month when there was (3) .NET updates it was terribly slow.  <_< And soon it's all over  :o

Edited by SweX

Thanks for the replies.

Arakasi, please elaborate on the following remark: "If you discontinue use of your browser, email, and usb storage devices on your XP machine..."

All my data is on USB hard disks. I have two... one for primary data and the other is a backup copy which I make frequently, When I travel with my laptop I take the backup copy and if I make changes or additions to it, those I put on a USB flash drive for carefully writing back to the primary data drive. In other words, under my plan for going off the internet with my XP machine, the primary USB data drive would be isolated. So what about posting back to it any changes I may have made to the backup drive while connected to the laptop and the internet? Can you elaborate on the risks of contamination of the Win XP machine through use of USB storage disks as I have described?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in no hurry to  switch to win7, as someone who plays online games , most of which as DX9 games BTW,  but the main problem for me is that micro cr*p in it's infinite wisdom decided to omit hardware sound acceleration from win7

Some onboard sound card  vendors have  produced software that is supposed to mimics this,  but realtek's solution doesn't work very well, game sounds are not restored ,

The best solution would be to buy a PCI sound card that has it's own cpu  so does it's own hardware acceleration for game sounds ect , But  my CPU  is just under the min requirements for the  sound card i looked at ,  yes i could buy a faster cpu,  but why should i spend money on what is a 7 yr old PC

Just so i can run windows 7 and hear all the in game sounds properly ? screw microsoft  on this one , i'm sticking with xp  for now, as for it suddenly becoming more vulnerable, i find that hard to believe, that is the microsoft  corporate brainwashing , as long as  you have a decent security suite  installed  and 3rd party browsers like firefox and opera  continue to support win xp  and  you use those instead of IE  then  where's this extra  where all doomed security risk?

Edited by tommy456

Hi SweX and all of ESET Forum..  

My desktop is XP  I will have to soon retire this senior computer of 13 years, and to comment on Windows8.1.  I got a ASUS laptop as a gift and it has 8.1 and I like the computer, but I am not happy with 8.1,  but it must have some redeeming qualities.  (looking for those qualities)

If I get another laptop, It will be getting Windows 7.   Just wanted to put my 2 cents into the conversation.  KOR-

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered my new Win 8.1 laptop for connecting to the outside world while doing my "work" on my isolated Win XP desktop. I'll let you know how it works out.

• Solution

BY ARYEH GORETSKY 

Time to Move On From Windows XP

The world today is a much different place than it was in 2001 when Microsoft released Windows XP. With Windows XP Microsoft combined features to handle games and multimedia for consumers, and to provide stability and reliability for businesses. This strategy made for a wildly popular operating system. Now, thirteen years later, Windows XP comes to an end of sorts on April 8, 2014. After this, Microsoft will cease providing security updates or support for this venerable operating system.

hxxp://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/03/25/time-to-move-on-from-windows-xp/

Great post AG  :)

Hello,

Thank you. There's a lot more coming, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Awesome, very much look forwarded to reading.

Thank you for your work and willing to share your knowledge to everyone.

Edited by Arakasi

Hello,

Thank you. There's a lot more coming, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You are very welcome Aryeh.

Sounds great, looking forward to it!

Thanks for the replies.

Arakasi, please elaborate on the following remark: "If you discontinue use of your browser, email, and usb storage devices on your XP machine..."

All my data is on USB hard disks. I have two... one for primary data and the other is a backup copy which I make frequently, When I travel with my laptop I take the backup copy and if I make changes or additions to it, those I put on a USB flash drive for carefully writing back to the primary data drive. In other words, under my plan for going off the internet with my XP machine, the primary USB data drive would be isolated. So what about posting back to it any changes I may have made to the backup drive while connected to the laptop and the internet? Can you elaborate on the risks of contamination of the Win XP machine through use of USB storage disks as I have described?

I did not notice this question until now.

My apologies Goldenyears.

The statement i made about usb storage devices, is simply because you can carry threats to and from on usb media.

Having a good security product that scans USB media can help you with still accessing your data.

I recommend having ESET installed to scan your usb media, however in the off chance, you do not have ESET, or you do not have the budget to purchase software, then i recommend MCshield for USB.

It is completely free, and would be a secondary choice to ESET for usb media. MCShield

Thanks, I do have a multiple licenses for ESET and will continue to use it on my computers. Compared to the competing products I've tried in the past (guess which ones), ESET is the best.