Chrome Warning to remove Eset Endpoint Antivirus

zhopkins

Has anyone else seen this warning message from Google Chrome?  The message could be closed by typing in a different web address or re-launching the browser.

Chrome-Eset.png.2a647574c981be199ea145aa111c75e5.png

The machine in question is running Windows 10 Education (1703), Eset Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.2072.4, and Chrome 67.0.3396.87.  We're still testing Windows 10 build 1803, which won't go out for another month or so.  We're also testing Eset 6.6.2078.5, which should be pushed out within 2 weeks, but I'd like to make sure that we're not about to get bombarded with a headache.

Thanks!

• Administrators
21 hours ago, itman said:

Might be related to the fact that Chrome now includes a version of Eset itself: https://www.eset.com/us/google-chrome/ .

Perhaps the Eset use within Chrome has be manually disabled when a full product version is installed on a device?

I'm unable to reproduce it with Chrome v"67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)" and ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.2078.5. If anybody knows how, please let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps, but I'm seeing the same issue today on Chrome 67.0.3396.99  (64-bit) and NOD32 Antivirus 11.1.54.0. Windows 10 build 1803.

I also have this issue

Chrome version Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Eset Internet Security Version 11.1.54.0

Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) V 10.0.17134

I, too, am having this issue.

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Buuld 17134.137)
Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit) 
ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.2068.0

SSL/TLS filtering is not enabled. 
Otherwise seems to be using default settings.

I am not inclined to remove ESET, no matter what Chrome says. I will live with the warning as long as I can; if it becomes more obtrusive, bye-bye Chrome. 

• Administrators

You don't need to remove ESET. The fact that ESET is reported as incompatible are changes in Chrome 66 with more restrictions to follow in upcoming versions as per https://blog.chromium.org/2017/11/reducing-chrome-crashes-caused-by-third.html. Simply said, if Chrome crashes, it reports any non-Google and non-Microsoft dll injected in Chrome even if the crash was not caused by it. ESET injects a dll into browsers which enables it to scan scripts before they are executed, to perform redirection of bank sites to a secure browser and to harden the secure browser.

• 1 month later...

Just had Chrome unable to install or operate despite several uninstalls and reinstalls, an ESET version update marker ringed in red had appeared, (my machine is on endpoint Security, 7+ user business version and never could run Chrome from a clean reset several months ago). After obediently installing the ESET update hoping that Chrome would operate and give me alternatives to I.E. and Edge, no browsers would work at all, I.E and Edge too. Our computer consultants remote-accessed by me starting in Safe Mode, when I.E would work to enable them to log onto the P.C. In Safe Mode; everything would work fine, but could only get the Browsers to go in W10 normal mode by doing a complete ESET uninstall. This has also surfaced on other Antivirus makes as well according to searches.

ESET tech help followed same routine but after several clean-ups of your software, by using the removal tool in both Normal and Safe Mode, Bournemouth site managed to reinstall Endpoint Security and only Chrome fails to run and browse now

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Factory-Fit said:

Just had Chrome unable to install or operate despite several uninstalls and reinstalls, an ESET version update marker ringed in red had appeared, (my machine is on endpoint Security, 7+ user business version and never could run Chrome from a clean reset several months ago). After obediently installing the ESET update hoping that Chrome would operate and give me alternatives to I.E. and Edge, no browsers would work at all, I.E and Edge too. Our computer consultants remote-accessed by me starting in Safe Mode, when I.E would work to enable them to log onto the P.C. In Safe Mode; everything would work fine, but could only get the Browsers to go in W10 normal mode by doing a complete ESET uninstall. This has also surfaced on other Antivirus makes as well according to searches.

ESET tech help followed same routine but after several clean-ups of your software, by using the removal tool in both Normal and Safe Mode, Bournemouth site managed to reinstall Endpoint Security and only Chrome fails to run and browse now

I'd like to check ELC logs from this machine as well as a Procmon log from the time of launching Chrome but that should be discussed further in a new topic.

I just started getting this today myself. Never saw it before. I just have fairly vanilla Chrome and Eset Nod32 installations on a gaming machine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, MatG-DK said:

I have this problem too.. plz fix this.

This is not ESET's problem. It is Google that has changed the policy regarding injection into Chrome. Please read https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-chrome-showing-alerts-about-incompatible-applications/.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

This is not ESET's problem. It is Google that has changed the policy regarding injection into Chrome. Please read https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-chrome-showing-alerts-about-incompatible-applications/.

If Google Chrome tell me i should remove ESET Smart Security, it would think it's a problem for ESET? We are your customers, right? 

You have to clear it out with Google, if you ask me ?

Agreed - you should either update to remove the Chrome extension with a warning, or option to keep it at our own risk, or you should sort it out with Google.

Chrome is my main browser. Your product as-is causes Chrome to say there's a problem with it. If it isn't going to work anymore, remove it and notify us of the increased risk of having it removed. Blame google for it there. As long as your product causes Chrome to give an error message though, your product needs to be updated, as I can find other antivirus that does not cause Chrome to trigger this message. It may be less secure in Chrome, but it doesn't have Chrome telling me that it is an issue when I load.

2 minutes ago, MatG-DK said:

If Google Chrome tell me i should remove ESET Smart Security, it would think it's a problem for ESET? We are your customers, right? 

You have to clear it out with Google, if you ask me ?

Yes, despite having used Eset for years - if it comes to a toss up between abandoning Chrome or Eset afraid it is Eset which will go. Definitely Eset's problem - even if the solution is out of their hands!

Just now, itman said:

I have never used Chrome and never will. I have made it a point to purposely avoid any software associated with Google.

Then your not helping in any way on this matter..... 

• Administrators

Google will ultimately block injection for 3rd party software (including antivirus programs, no matter whether it's ESET or another one). You should also understand that the fact that ESET or another application is reported as incompatible doesn't mean that it is actually incompatible according to a developer of Chrome quoted in the above mentioned article:

Since it is effectively impossible for Chrome to automatically determine whether any particular piece of software is innocently injecting or purposefully injecting and interfering with Chrome code. To keep things simple we warn about all injected software, without making value judgments. Note that soon we will actually start blocking software from injecting, at which point this warning will cease to show.

Vendors are gradually removing or limiting support for Chrome due to the restrictions as per https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/bitdefender-disables-anti-exploit-monitoring-in-chrome-after-google-policy-change/.

Yeah sounds like ESET should be sending PSAs about this, and remove the problem code since it won't work at all soon in either case. Right now if chrome says something is bad I'm likely to uninstall it. I'm required to use chrome for work and products that require chrome extensions.

Even if it means an unavoidable downgrade in what your software can do, get rid of the part that causes this warning and worries customers, especially since it won't work at all soon.

Just letting us encounter this with no warning didn't seem very proactive in ESET's side when we use your product to ensure our security and get weird warnings. Even if you didn't see it coming, I should have gotten an email about it by now. Apologies if I somehow missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect solution: use Firefox.

Seriously: Google is asking you to remove your AV and you're gonna do it?

And then you're gonna blame ESET?

Please read Marcos's posts and especially the links. It's. Not. ESET's. Fault.

Still blaming ESET? You didn't read it or you didn't understand it.

Edited by RvW

14 minutes ago, RvW said:

Seriously: Google is asking you to remove your AV and you're gonna do it? LMAO

And then your gonna blame ESET? ROFLMAO

If i was ESET i would be concerned about Google Chrome suggest my customers to remove the product that pays my bills.. 

Still don't understand? Use Firefox and ? 

Edited by MatG-DK

2 minutes ago, RvW said:

Seriously: Google is asking you to remove your AV and you're gonna do it? LMAO

And then your gonna blame ESET? ROFLMAO

Not blaming ESET  - but it is a problem for ESET caused by Google (surprise surprise) - it is also a problem for Google, and for us - the end users!

Your concept of switching browsers is great for those who can fulfill their role just using one browser but if clients use multiple browsers (and they always will) it is necessary to also use the same browsers to check how they are seeing / using things. So, saying switch to Firefox simply doesn't work - we already use Firefox (and Chrome, and Edge and Opera and so on).

As for removing the AV - no it can't happen. And, in time, if Google persist in their approach Chrome will hopefully die a death but until it drops considerably in market share we will have to find a way around the problem and part of that solution will hopefully come from the innovative guys at ESET who have proved to be pretty good so far! I hope that they get their act together before the other AV suppliers as I would like to stick with ESET. But if someone else comes up with a workable solution I will jump from ESET to them - hence it becomes a problem for ESET if lots of people do that.

Blame doesn't help anyone - needs some creative genius and/or some collaboration between Google and ESET (&/or the AV suppliers) to address this issue.

• Most Valued Members

Why you all are making a big deal of this message when you already know the cause of it and source of it

It will be patched somehow someday and it won't appear , or someone will make a workaround for it or just switch browsers for god's sake, or remove ESET (If you want to let Google to tell you what to do with your AV)

Atleast for Windows you can't leave it without Anti-Virus , but whatever if I turn on the Windows Defender instead of ESET will it keep telling me the same thing so what I should do also disable the Windows Defender to make Google Chrome happy? , no I prefer to switch to another browser that won't make remove my AV just for it to be happy.

It makes no sense to remove an Anti-Virus because it does some injection or some kind of scanning into the browser , well that's what AV is built for.

Maybe I've got a different issue to everyone else? Run two identical Dell Precision desktops and one Dell laptop, office one had problems after 1803 W10 update and in the end, has to have format and new clean OS installed. That PC can install Chrome bit will only run it if ESET uninstalled. Both our consultants and ESET Tech support are stumped, both having remotely run through various fixes, including complete removal of ESET via their own tool. I've taken off any apps and programs not needed. So existing PCs can carry on with both installed but once one is reset it appears to risk this issue?

Hi,

There's definitely something I don't understand in this discussion. I'm using Eset NOD32, latest version. When I opened the Chrome settings a few minutes ago and activated the Cleanup Computer option, Chrome told me that I should remove Eset Endpoint because it's a harmful software. However, this Chrome module is obviously the result of a collaboration between Eset and Google. This inconsistency has certainly been observed during the development phase. It's almost the same as an Eset scan reporting Eset as a virus. So it shouldn't be a big issue to exclude Eset products from the list of "harmful software" that Chrome is possibly reporting.

Now another inconsistency... The first time I ran the Cleanup Computer feature of Chrome, I had this odd message. The second time, after re-launching Chrome ( Version 69.0.3497.100 ), it told me "No harmful software found".