Chrome Warning to remove Eset Endpoint Antivirus

zhopkins

2 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

Now another inconsistency... The first time I ran the Cleanup Computer feature of Chrome, I had this odd message. The second time, after re-launching Chrome ( Version 69.0.3497.100 ), it told me "No harmful software found".

Or maybe it's because the problem had already been reported once to Google ?

• Most Valued Members
21 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

Hi,

There's definitely something I don't understand in this discussion. I'm using Eset NOD32, latest version. When I opened the Chrome settings a few minutes ago and activated the Cleanup Computer option, Chrome told me that I should remove Eset Endpoint because it's a harmful software. However, this Chrome module is obviously the result of a collaboration between Eset and Google. This inconsistency has certainly been observed during the development phase. It's almost the same as an Eset scan reporting Eset as a virus. So it shouldn't be a big issue to exclude Eset products from the list of "harmful software" that Chrome is possibly reporting.

Now another inconsistency... The first time I ran the Cleanup Computer feature of Chrome, I had this odd message. The second time, after re-launching Chrome ( Version 69.0.3497.100 ), it told me "No harmful software found".

You will keep getting this message till Google/ESET releases a patch for it , but it's Google's problem more than it's ESET's , switch to Firefox for now and relief yourself from that trouble till they fix it.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

When I opened the Chrome settings a few minutes ago and activated the Cleanup Computer option, Chrome told me that I should remove Eset Endpoint because it's a harmful software. However, this Chrome module is obviously the result of a collaboration between Eset and Google.

The Cleanup computer option and reporting of incompatible programs are independent things. As a Google's developer already stated, they do not check what software has caused Chrome to crash. They use a list of software that injects into Chrome and may report even an innocent application as incompatible:

Since it is effectively impossible for Chrome to automatically determine whether any particular piece of software is innocently injecting or purposefully injecting and interfering with Chrome code. To keep things simple we warn about all injected software, without making value judgments. Note that soon we will actually start blocking software from injecting, at which point this warning will cease to show.

54 minutes ago, Marcos said:

To keep things simple we warn about all injected software, without making value judgments

And when the warning points to an Eset product, there's no way to decide that this warning is irrelevant ? I must admit that I have difficulties to understand this. Granted, this is apparently Google code only but you said "we warn". If Eset was involved in this code, disabling irrelevant warnings should have been easy. I'm confused...

OK, not a big deal as far as security is not compromised.

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

And when the warning points to an Eset product, there's no way to decide that this warning is irrelevant ? I must admit that I have difficulties to understand this. Granted, this is apparently Google code only but you said "we warn". If Eset was involved in this code, disabling irrelevant warnings should have been easy. I'm confused...

OK, not a big deal as far as security is not compromised.

It's the Chrome's code which points at ESET as incompatible because they have isolated the browser from being scanned/injected in order to prevent malware/viruses from infecting Chrome.

Use Firefox in the meantime if Chrome is causing you troubles.

Tired of seeing BSOD on my computer. Installed firefox and would be happy if someone could give some heads up when chrome is updated and not causing problems anymore.. thx in advance.

Unfortunately as a developer that needs to test things in Chrome primarily as well as use other extensions related to the software I'm working on, I'm stuck with Chrome and warnings.

• Most Valued Members
15 hours ago, Hastor said:

Unfortunately as a developer that needs to test things in Chrome primarily as well as use other extensions related to the software I'm working on, I'm stuck with Chrome and warnings.

16 hours ago, MatG-DK said:

Tired of seeing BSOD on my computer. Installed firefox and would be happy if someone could give some heads up when chrome is updated and not causing problems anymore.. thx in advance.

Just use Firefox/PaleMoon in the meantime till Chrome fixes that problem because you will keep experiencing problems because ESET AV won't stop trying to scan the browser because it has been designed to do so , and Firefox should be lighter on RAM usage that's for the positive thing.

Having no problems using Firefox over here and sometimes I do use Palemoon also.

Report back if you get any problems

I don't understand? 

I am using ESET Antivirus v7, Chrome has never once told me to remove ESET as it could be harmful software.

I have also just run a Clean Up Computer option for Google Chrome and it says "No Harmful Software Found".

As for the "Incompatible Applications" - Yes, ESET shows up but it says "Could prevent Chrome from working properly", it doesn't say that it 100% will. Also, this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of this issue and I've been using Chrome and ESET daily.

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, Kieran Barry said:

I don't understand? 

I am using ESET Antivirus v7, Chrome has never once told me to remove ESET as it could be harmful software.

I have also just run a Clean Up Computer option for Google Chrome and it says "No Harmful Software Found".

As for the "Incompatible Applications" - Yes, ESET shows up but it says "Could prevent Chrome from working properly", it doesn't say that it 100% will. Also, this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of this issue and I've been using Chrome and ESET daily.

Chrome has updated their browser and you could say that they have isolated their browser mostly like a sandbox so AVs cannot scan the browser now , so that's why you are getting incompatibility issue.

Try to switch to Firefox for now till Google fixes that problem , because as far as I think it should happen with every AV you can use from Windows Defender on to every other AV.

27 minutes ago, Rami said:

Chrome has updated their browser and you could say that they have isolated their browser mostly like a sandbox so AVs cannot scan the browser now , so that's why you are getting incompatibility issue.

Try to switch to Firefox for now till Google fixes that problem , because as far as I think it should happen with every AV you can use from Windows Defender on to every other AV.

Yes but what I am saying is that it is still working.

It's only coming up saying that it "Could prevent Chrome from working properly". If Chrome thought that it was 100% incompatible it wouldn't allow you to run it at the same time in the first place meaning that the option to remove it wouldn't even be there.

The option that allows you to remove it as an application obviously means that it is still running something but telling you that it could be incompatible and to remove it in-case it doesn't work properly.

Regards,

Kieran Barry

P.S Or maybe I just have no idea what is going on?

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, Kieran Barry said:

Yes but what I am saying is that it is still working.

It's only coming up saying that it "Could prevent Chrome from working properly". If Chrome thought that it was 100% incompatible it wouldn't allow you to run it at the same time in the first place meaning that the option to remove it wouldn't even be there.

The option that allows you to remove it as an application obviously means that it is still running something but telling you that it could be incompatible and to remove it in-case it doesn't work properly.

Regards,

Kieran Barry

P.S Or maybe I just have no idea what is going on?

It can be , some users are experiencing crashes due to this update and some like you aren't experiencing any troubles but the message from Google Chrome about the incompatibility and asking you to remove your incompatible apps

But I prefer to switch browser more than to be without an Anti-Virus while using Windows especially, I don't trust Microsoft to be without anti-virus even though Windows Defender can run in background but I rely more on ESET.

Just now, Rami said:

It can be , some users are experiencing crashes due to this update and some like you aren't experiencing any troubles but the message from Google Chrome about the incompatibility and asking you to remove your incompatible apps

But I prefer to switch browser more than to be without an Anti-Virus while using Windows especially, I don't trust Microsoft to be without anti-virus even though Windows Defender can run in background but I rely more on ESET.

Oh right I see okay,

Sorry I hadn't realised that people were getting BSOD because of this. Shows that you should read the whole topic before commenting!

Maybe there is a certain setting that the ones who are experiencing crashes have selected that now does not work properly, the ones like me who aren't experiencing crashes have not selected.

Regards,

Kieran Barry

• Most Valued Members
Just now, Kieran Barry said:

Oh right I see okay,

Sorry I hadn't realised that people were getting BSOD because of this. Shows that you should read the whole topic before commenting!

Maybe there is a certain setting that the ones who are experiencing crashes have selected that now does not work properly, the ones like me who aren't experiencing crashes have not selected.

Regards,

Kieran Barry

I also wonder why a Browser isolating itself from any scan/injection could lead to a BSOD , but I never experienced any of this because I don't use Chrome at all.

It might be because of ESET is trying to get access to the browser while the browser has isolated itself and is running in mostly a sandbox , but will that cause a BSOD? , I don't know it might be,

Just switch to Firefox or any other browser(depending on your preference) till they fix that issue to be in the safe side without errors and BSODs

59 minutes ago, Rami said:

I also wonder why a Browser isolating itself from any scan/injection could lead to a BSOD , but I never experienced any of this because I don't use Chrome at all.

It might be because of ESET is trying to get access to the browser while the browser has isolated itself and is running in mostly a sandbox , but will that cause a BSOD? , I don't know it might be,

Just switch to Firefox or any other browser(depending on your preference) till they fix that issue to be in the safe side without errors and BSODs

Yes it doesn't make sense as to why it would BSOD. 

Maybe try doing an sfc scannow?

Re-installing Chrome may help.

Adding Google Chrome to the excluded applications for scanning?

Regards,

Kieran Barry

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, Kieran Barry said:

Yes it doesn't make sense as to why it would BSOD. 

Maybe try doing an sfc scannow?

Re-installing Chrome may help.

Adding Google Chrome to the excluded applications for scanning?

Regards,

Kieran Barry

Excluding it from scanning should help as then ESET will stop trying to scan Chrome

I am not experiencing any problems as I don't use Chrome.

• Administrators

BSOD cannot be caused by ESET since scanning is performed in user mode. If you can generate a complete memory dump, you can provide it to us to determine the root cause.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:33 PM, MatG-DK said:

If i was ESET i would be concerned about Google Chrome suggest my customers to remove the product that pays my bills.. 

Still don't understand? Use Firefox and ? 

You clearly didn't read the links. Do you at least agree with me on that?

2 hours ago, RvW said:

You clearly didn't read the links. Do you at least agree with me on that?

I think we can all agree with that.

Google added Antivirus features to Chrome back in 2017 and ever since then it has been an issue for other AV companies as Google for some reason or another doesn't want to share the responsibility of keeping people safe by browsing the web. 

I think the best option would be to disable Google Chrome in the excluded applications list, so that it doesn't try to scan, therefore making Google Chrome have a little tantrum.

If not, then remove Google Chrome in the first place seeing as it takes up about a billion GB of Memory (yes it's an exaggeration)

Regards,

Kieran Barry

Well i changed my mind.. 

I can't live without Google Chrome and will rely on Windows Defender, so sadly ESET Smart Security must go.. 

So long.. It has been 11 great years with ESET but you left me and other users behind.. 

My license runs out in a month and i wont renew it this time. 

You had the chance to sort things out with Google but instead you just blame Google and that leaves me frustrated. I trusted you to make me feel safe in every way... 

I know Google is the one i should blame, but they have the upper right-hand now, so please understand my choise. 

Bye 

• ESET Moderators

Hello @MatG-DK,

you do not need to remove the ESET product at all.

We are working on a solution to ensure Banking and payment protection for Google Chrome in a different and supported way and Chrome itself will block other parties to inject code to Chrome so you can you Chrome alongside ESET currently and you will be able to use them in the future as well,...

Regards, P.R.

13 hours ago, MatG-DK said:

Well i changed my mind.. 

I can't live without Google Chrome and will rely on Windows Defender, so sadly ESET Smart Security must go.. 

So long.. It has been 11 great years with ESET but you left me and other users behind.. 

If you feel like you can survive with just having Windows Defender then good luck, but I still don't think you need to remove it when ESET have said that they are working on it. After being with ESET for "11 great years" you're just going to drop them because this issue may take a little longer to fix then most?

You had the chance to sort things out with Google but instead you just blame Google and that leaves me frustrated. I trusted you to make me feel safe in every way... 

They, along with quite a few other large companies are blaming Google as it is their fault. They're not doing it just to have a go at Google, it is genuinely Google's fault and ESET have said that they are looking for a way to fix this. 

I know Google is the one i should blame, but they have the upper right-hand now, so please understand my choise.  

Google are worth roughly $110.8bn, and their parent company is valued at around $851.2bn, of course they have the upper hand.

Regards,

Kieran Barry

• 1 month later...

I started having this problem about 3 months ago.   Chrome freezes and gives the message "searching for Google".   I've logged in and out a few times, and Google tells me I need to delete ESET Nod32     Not doing it.   In fact, after much effort, ESET finally got in touch with me, told me to remove ESET for 10 minutes, then reload it.  Well, I waited 20 minutes, then reloaded.   It worked fine for about 10 days, with an occasional freeze by Chrome.   Now it's back to where it was.   I'm not removing ESET as they've been very customer oriented as opposed to the Google people.   I'm checking to see which search engine is the best for compatibility with ESET.   I saw FireFox listed above, so will add that to my list.  I also heard Bing was pretty decent and so is DuckDuckGo.    In any case, I will no longer use Google as my default, and go with another search engine, and will only log on to Gmail when I need to, otherwise Google is out of the picture.   Google has been "upgrading" quite often over the past few years, and each time, they force you to go to their new format, which I don't want to, and they have become even more intrusive into where I browse.   I'm not going to "bad" places, but I don't like having Google looking over my shoulder constantly.   They claim it's to provide better service, and I say BS on that.   It's like Big Brother and I'm ready to move away from Chrome and Google overall....  if I find a mail service that is decent, I'll give up gmail as well and I've been on gmail for 25 years.    Just now sure at this time which search engine is the most compatible with ESET

• Administrators

ESET works alright even with Chrome v70. If you can reproduce the issue, you could try temporarily disabling advanced scanning of browser scripts and see if it makes a difference.