Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

1 hour ago, yeoldfart said:

Hello

Still my old suggestion that Eset supplies a VPN companion to ESS.... I'd like not to have to buy and use a 3rd party VPN

Agreed, that would be a good move. 👍

11 hours ago, yeoldfart said:

Hello

Still my old suggestion that Eset supplies a VPN companion to ESS.... I'd like not to have to buy and use a 3rd party VPN

Exactly, I think the same thing, it's horrible to use third-party vpn. 

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Exactly, I think the same thing, it's horrible to use third-party vpn. 

I'm split. I wouldn't mind if Eset introduced it but there's the debate if AVs should basically focus on being AVs and leave the other stuff to other users.

• ESET Insiders

I technically can't see any difficulty to develop or (why not) buy and make thrive such a product: the market is there, Eset have the techs it needs and strong customers asset... so why not ? I tried Proton, now using Express VPN.

Edited by yeoldfart
typo

• Most Valued Members
47 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

Description: MyEset with more tools.
Detail: You could do as KASPERSKY does in her product, put more options for the user, giving the option of Scanning and other settings remotely. 

Yes I like this idea. 

The biggest thing however. Myeset needs which is apparently planned, is 2FA. The more tools available the more important to protect users 

57 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Yes I like this idea. 

The biggest thing however. Myeset needs which is apparently planned, is 2FA. The more tools available the more important to protect users 

What is 2FA? 

31 minutes ago, NewbyUser said:

I ended up doing some research on the subject below this link.
https://pplware.sapo.pt/tutorials/eset-secure-authentication-em-teste-2fa-em-any-empresa/
I checked on the website that eset has been working on the subject for a while. more for the matter it's been a while and so far nothing to implement. will it go out to home users?
I found that KASPERSKY's product has a lot of tools in its products, I really wanted ESET to also have products like the competitor, with this Kaspersky every day is gaining more market because of the varied security products, it would be time for eset to open their eyes so they don't get left behind on their products? 

2 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Description: MyEset with more tools.
Detail: You could do as KASPERSKY does in her product, put more options for the user, giving the option of Scanning and other settings remotely. 

I case anyone is wondering what is referred to here, this is the Kaspersky article on the subject: https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/start/13879#block4 .

First note that Kaspersky's protection configuration can be modified remotely. Given the hacking incidents of myeset accounts of late, I for one think the feature is ill advised.

22 minutes ago, itman said:

Now if you want to add a Kaspersky feature to Eset, top on my list is System Watcher that can rollback malware system modifications including ransomware changes.

What is missing from ESET to put System Watcher to improve its product? 

26 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

What is missing from ESET to put System Watcher to improve its product? 

FYI: https://media.kaspersky.com/pdf/Kaspersky_Lab_Whitepaper_System_Watcher_ENG.pdf . One of the many things it does is protect your MBR which Eset does not. Yeah great, Eset might be able to detect the MBR malware after the fact, but it can't remove it. Ditto for malware that modifies for example, an autorun location to start itself at boot time. Eset again might detect the process startup but removing the autorun entry needs to be done manually.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
5 minutes ago, itman said:

FYI: https://media.kaspersky.com/pdf/Kaspersky_Lab_Whitepaper_System_Watcher_ENG.pdf . One of the many things it does is protect your MBR which Eset does not. Yeah great, Eset might be able to detect the MBR malware after the fact, but it can't remove it.

Most products also have trouble with MBR malware. The safest option is reformatting the drive anyway and restoring from a known good backup.

35 minutes ago, itman said:

FYI: https://media.kaspersky.com/pdf/Kaspersky_Lab_Whitepaper_System_Watcher_ENG.pdf . One of the many things it does is protect your MBR which Eset does not. Yeah great, Eset might be able to detect the MBR malware after the fact, but it can't remove it. Ditto for malware that modifies for example, an autorun location to start itself at boot time. Eset again might detect the process startup but removing the autorun entry needs to be done manually.

Am I understanding that KASPERSKY is a better product than ESET?
From what I'm seeing there's more security. 

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

It has different features. When it comes to AVs it depends on a number of factors e.g. test results, false positive etc. Kaspersky is avoided by some also due to the US allegations of the Russian government having a hand in it

13 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

I'll answer this question as follows. If Kaspersky was not a Russian based AV solution, I would be using it instead of Eset. Note that Kaspersky has moved its corporate headquarters to Switzerland. However, its developers are still based in Russia.

• ESET Insiders
On 8/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, yeoldfart said:

Hallo

Immer noch mein alter Vorschlag, dass Eset einen VPN-Begleiter für ESSliefert .... Ich möchte kein 3rd-Party-VPN kaufen und verwenden müssen

Rather from a third party provider, they are usually better.

I wonder if ESET staff are reading and taking our opinions into account?
Was taking a look and previous comments, there are several opinions about ideas suggested by customers, but so far none of them have been placed in the ESET product. so it generated this doubt that they are looking at our comments. 

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

I wonder if ESET staff are reading and taking our opinions into account?

Yes, this forum is read by product managers when considering changes and new features in our products. Moreover, in case of business products we travel across the world, meet with our business customers in person to talk and listen to them in order to tailor our products to their needs.

20 hours ago, NewbyUser said:

Most products also have trouble with MBR malware. The safest option is reformatting the drive anyway and restoring from a known good backup.

Cisco back in 2016 developed a Windows driver back in 2016 to prevent MBR write access: https://talosintelligence.com/mbrfilter . They promptly made the code open source and it can also be downloaded from Github here: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/MBRFilter .

I brought this up in the forum shortly thereafter as to inclusion into Eset. It's now 2021 and still no MBR modification protection from Eset.

Edited by itman

3 minutes ago, yeoldfart said:

Does proper TPM activation solve this ? not to mention UEFI secure boot.

N/A on my old PC hardware that has neither.

10 minutes ago, itman said:

Cisco back in 2016 developed a Windows driver back in 2016 to prevent MBR write access: https://talosintelligence.com/mbrfilter . They promptly made the code open source and it can also be downloaded from Github here: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/MBRFilter .

I brought this up in the forum shortly thereafter as to inclusion into Eset. It's now 2021 and still no MBR modification protection from Eset.

I'm very concerned about that you said this in 2016 and to date it has not been included in the ESET product for consumers.