Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The startup scan normally takes just a few minutes to run and it vital to protecting your computer from advanced threats. If it is taking hours to run on your computer, I would suggest opening a ticket with technical support to investigate this behavior.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Description:  To not have ESET perform an entire scan of one's computer at each startup set as a default action.

Detail:  I personally don't want that, it really bogs things down, and on one system the scan takes about 1 1/2 hours.  It wasn't easy on my Windows 7 system to stop the scan either.  It took several times of clicking the 'x' to make the scan stop.  I had to consult the help section to find the settings to disable this feature.  Scheduling a full scan according to one's choice would be fine.   :)  Or maybe a 'quick scan' of the most common problem areas, like Microsoft Security Essentials does?  If a startup scan must be done at all, that is...

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The HIPS module is frequently-updated to handle new threats, fix bugs and so forth.

What specific changes would you like to see in the user interface (feel free to create a mock-up screenshot if that would be easier for you to work with).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Description:  Enhance HIPS or Behavior Blocker

Detail:  ESET's ThreatSense technology is really good but I think some components that can detect malicious behavior would be even better.Currently the HIPS of ESET is not that easy to use.  :)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The requests for sandboxing technology will be forwarded to product development.

ESET's researchers constantly make improvements to the antivirus, cloud, firewall and HIPS modules.  If you have specific enhancements you would like to see to them, please let us know.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Description: Online Banking Protection
Detail: Use sandbox technology to protect browser from malware inject, etc and prevent keyboard logger.

Description: Enhance Firewall 

Detail: Enhance firewall features and enhanced the protection under automatic mode. It is stronger than Windows Firewall but still can improve more!

Description: Enhance HIPS

Detail: Enhance HIPS features and enhanced the protection under automatic mode. I saw the bad result in Matousec Proactive Security Challenge 64.

Description: Enhance AntiVirus

Detail:Especially can repair the infected files and higher detection rate without enable advanced heuristic 

Description: Enhance Cloud usage

Detail make the effect can stronger , as example panda cloud,

• Administrators

Is ESET doing a full scan on startup, or a quick scan?  The first scan ESET ran on my Windows 7 laptop, which ESET started without my input after I initially installed it, did take 1 1/2 hours.  When I restarted, the scan started up and I didn't let it complete.  I'll try re-enabling the startup scan and I'll see how long it does take.  I don't recall ever having had security software that does a scan on startup before this.  

Discussion on this topic was moved here.

Hello, I have downloaded and installed the beta version of ESET seventh generation of beta some comments and suggestions.

First of all, I think the new version of ESET tray icon looks good, to look good than 5.6.

Why is the interface with the sixth edition of the same?

I want to increase the HIPS command-line detection, improved cloud reputation, increase sandbox

The interface needs rationalising.

It is not always the case that all the options for a given feature are in the same place. IIRC, configuring the Idle scan needs two separate locations.

When I was previously with ESET, I was concerned that thye main program was rarely updated.

To me, as a customer, 'no change' means nothing good. No software is perfect as is not interface.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Description:  TXT log files
Detail:  Creating text log file (csv, xml, ...) as in business products would be great help to support guys.

• ESET Moderators

Hello PodrskaNORT,

actually it is already implemented in Endpoint v.5

Advanced settings -> Tools -> Log files -> Text protocol -> Enable text protocol.

You can choose from plain text, CSV or even event log.

Regards,

Hello, everyone :-))

Description: Enhanced online security is the headline ,but what I actually mean is, an anti keylogger function which will scramble keystrokes.

How it could be incorporated in the product :

The idea is basically, that every time that a user use the net to an online purchase, (using secure connections like Https), or  doing online banking, then will Eset smart security or nod32 detect, that a secure connection are in use / established, and will automatically scramble the user's keystrokes. A function that will benefit all, and will not only benefit advanced users. This anti keylogger function, would also be really nice to see in "Eset Mobile security".

Regards, Janus

I'd like to see in future versions of Eset Smart Security a Sandbox.

Many security software companies on the market already offer this resource on their products.

I consider a Sandbox one of the best ways to deal with zero day threats.

I think all the Eset users would appreciate to count with a Eset`s sandbox.

Thanks for the opportunity to express my opinion.

Hello Eset.

Description : Sandbox  (I know that this feature is requested earlier, so this is only meant as a supplement to a already existing wish)

Detail/why...: Hey Eset, create your own Sandbox, as a standalone tool, not as a integrated solution to Eset, but a separate solution, that you can download as a paying customer, only. It can e.g. be created so it will only work in combination with a eset product. Like many others I miss a sandbox solution. I know it is not the the solution of everything, regarding malware which have not yet been identified, but in my perspective, it is a much more friendlier solution, than the H.I.P.S function. Which are a much more advanced and harder tool to fully master than a Sandbox.

Regards, Janus

These are good ideas. They get my vote. B)

Sincerely,

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The default behavior of the software is to check for updates every 60 minutes.  ESET releases an update every seven hours or so (rough estimate on my part).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Add "Update Now" or "Check for Updates" at tray menu icon.(right click)

One feature I would really like to see is a scan when the screensaver is activated. My previous internet security program had that feature and I really liked it.

From personal experience, more malware was found during screensaver scan than any other method.

Hello,

The default behavior of the software is to check for updates every 60 minutes.  ESET releases an update every seven hours or so (rough estimate on my part).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Some people may think that releasing an VSD update every 7'th hour (or so) is not a good approach, as some vendors release one every hour, while ESET releases an VSD "as needed" wich I am perfectly fine with. But VSD updates is not the only updates that we get!

So I want to add a quote by Marcos from the old forum at Wilders, and this IMO should be displayed as a feature       (or at least mention it in the product description) on the product/s page on Eset.com as it is quite interesting fact to know about the product. Without giving away any critical details of course as Marcos says below...

The "Blocked object" detections come from suspicious websites. V6 updates the list of such websites every few minutes via cloud while older versions update it with every attempt to update, ie. every hour by default.

I don't want to go into details as this forum may also be read by bad guys, you know.

P.S I hope it's OK to share this here, I figure if it weren't OK to talk about it then Marcos wouldn't have told us about this feature in the first place   :)

Edited by SweX

Hi,

first congrats to your great support given all along in your 'old' forum site. I'm sure it will be the same in this new one.

I'm very satisfied with ESET v.6 : great performance and excellent detection rate. Also the Interactive Mode fits best for advanced users.

Suggestion:
What I would most like in ESET is the capability of sorting the entries in the HIPS Management (Hips > Rule editor > configure rules), especially sorting by Source Applications or by Rules (exe name). This makes it easier to find rules to edit or delete.
Or: make the last rule created to appear in latest position down in the list.

The same would be nice for the Firewall rules.

Cheers,
XenonS

• Administrators

Suggestion:

What I would most like in ESET is the capability of sorting the entries in the HIPS Management (Hips > Rule editor > configure rules), especially sorting by Source Applications or by Rules (exe name). This makes it easier to find rules to edit or delete.

Or: make the last rule created to appear in latest position down in the list.

The rules are sorted by action (Allow / Deny / Ask) and then alphabetically by the source application. I think this ordering makes it easier to look up a desired rule rather than if rules were sorted just by the time of creation.

No, that's not the case (yet ?). In v. 6, I have all rules allowed on the left and then it's a mix of Allowed / Files/ Application or Allowed / - / Applications or Allowed / - / - 

All these don't appear in 1 group.

Also you don't remember this sequence long time after. It would me much easier to click on "Source applications" and then all would be sorted. I took some 5-10 minutes to search the crowed window for an app to remove.

XenonS

Edited by XenonS

Aryeh, i would really like the option of right click check for updates from systray icon also. Despite the check on login, and every 60min that it does.

It may be redundant, but it is on par with other software and its becoming a update software etiquette type user action.

I perform it on 4 other software, then if i want to double check on eset i have to load entire gui.

From a programming perspective this is a very easy addition.

Pleeeaaaseee ask dev team.

Thx :)

lol

Guest anony mouse

Decription: Auto alert on new version

Detail: Have an automatic pop up like when your licence expires stating that a new version is available with a link to install, or have an auto update button to automatically update the version of software

Guest Andrew Jones

I was asked to publish these requests here.

1. If viewing personal firewall logs and a lot of data is being generated, it constantly jumps to the newest entry. Effectively censoring any entries that are off screen. 

2. I couldn't find a way to filter 'out' entries in the log with a rule, only filter 'in'. Filter-in is only useful if you know what your looking for. I have a tendency to filter out(ignore) all the irrelevant log entries and examine the important ones. Perhaps a regular expression type filter system would be good.

Andy Jones

Long time Eset Subscriber.

• Administrators

1. If viewing personal firewall logs and a lot of data is being generated, it constantly jumps to the newest entry. Effectively censoring any entries that are off screen. 

This shouldn't normally happen. Make sure you don't have logging of all blocked communications enabled which should only be used with care when troubleshooting connectivity issues.

2. I couldn't find a way to filter 'out' entries in the log with a rule, only filter 'in'. Filter-in is only useful if you know what your looking for. I have a tendency to filter out(ignore) all the irrelevant log entries and examine the important ones. Perhaps a regular expression type filter system would be good.

The filter enables you to filter records according to certain text they contain in specified columns plus you can specify the severity of the records to filter as well as the time period. If you need more advanced filtering, you can export the log to a text file and use other tools to filter the desired records.

Guest Eset 7 beta trial

sorry OOT.
In ESS 7 beta, how can I set HIPS to only block files on root drive for being deleted (but the child folders are permitted) ?
should I set the HIPS rules like this: block D:\*\*.*

• Administrators

sorry OOT.

In ESS 7 beta, how can I set HIPS to only block files on root drive for being deleted (but the child folders are permitted) ?

should I set the HIPS rules like this: block D:\*\*.*

This is probably not possible, wildcards in this form are not supported. I was unable to accomplish it either.

FYI:

encrypted SSL on https://forum.eset.com is being untrusted by ESS 7.0.104 beta :huh: , is that normal condition, guys?

It works fine for me. Please post the warning you're getting and let us know what browser and its version you use. Try the following:

- with web browsers and email clients closed, disable SSL scanning

- enable SSL scanning

- launch the browser