Description: Gamer Mode in "Quick links" (tray menu)
Detail: Well, I would really like to see the Gamer Mode in the quick links to be able to quickly switch it on and off and not having to click for open Eset, click on "Setup", click on "Computer Protection" and click on "Gamer Mode".

(I opened a post before not realizing that here is a "feature request etc." collection. Sorry for that.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I am saddened that ESET smart security requires the installation of a root certification so that it can basically MiTM all SSL TLS connections.

hxxp://security.stackexchange.com/questions/137419/eset-smart-security-root-certificate-injection

I assume that most AVs do that, especially if they don't have browser and email client plug-ins.

As far as scanning of encrypted browser communication goes, it is one of those "you're damned either way" situations. There have been well documented issues with security vendors methods of scanning SSL traffic. On the other hand with the recent introduction of concerns offering free root certificates with minimal security background checks on the requestor, the risk of web site malware has grown exponentially.

So it is up to the end user to decide which is the greater risk and act appropriately.

If your concerned about Eset's SSL scanning integrity, you can test it using the QUALS Client SSL test here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html . Note: first do this test with Eset SSL protocol scanning disabled and use the results as the browser baseline SSL capability. Then activate Eset's SSL protocol scanning, repeat the test, and compare the two results. Using IE11, I saw no differences with Eset's SSL protocol scanning enabled.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a request regarding Eset Smart Security 10 and Microsoft's AMSI. Is it possible to add options such as "block all in-memory Powershell scripts" or "ask before running any Java scripts"?

Many of us never or only rarely and deliberately use Powershell scripts, Java scripts, etc. For those of us in that situation, it would be nice to block things by default, to catch zero-day stuff. Is this possible?

Edited by JWilliams

@JWilliams you have to remove Powershell & Active Script from Windows 10 no other way around it.

While Powershell 2.0 compatibility can be removed via add/remove Windows components, Powershell 5.0 is integral to Windows 10. I've searched for solutions, and it doesn't seem that it can be removed.

@JWilliams you have to remove Powershell & Active Script from Windows 10 no other way around it.

While Powershell 2.0 compatibility can be removed via add/remove Windows components, Powershell 5.0 is integral to Windows 10. I've searched for solutions, and it doesn't seem that it can be removed.

Uh yes it can be, use NTLite. It can remove more than just Powershell... hxxp://www.ntlite.com

Powershell 5.0 is integral to Windows 10. I've searched for solutions, and it doesn't seem that it can be removed.

Probably by commenting out this reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\3

I wouldn't recommended It.

Edited by itman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

Description: Ability to enlarge windows especially for scan results

Detail:  After a scan is finished and the results are shown, asking users what actions to take, the window is very small and cannot be enlarged. If you have long file paths you have to drag the sliders around to see what actual file has been marked as infected. As the layout isn't saved each time you do a scan this has to be done.

To make things easier, Eset should allow the window to be enlarged. By doing this, the window will be much larger and users should be able to read the information without having to change the sizes around. It should also have the ability to remember sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

Description:  A few suggestions to make the Firewall rules list more user-friendly, again. 

Detail:  Up until (and including) version 8 the rules list had the following useful features which are now missing in v.9:

- "Detailed view" was available where the list could be sorted by various categories, most importantly by name and date modified.  Detailed view is gone in v.9 for not apparent reason, and so the list cannot be sorted anymore.  Please either bring back Detailed view with sorting, OR enable sorting in the main rules list.

- Program icons were shown next to each application name.  The icons made the list very easy to browse and made all safe applications easy to identify.  Icons have been removed in v.9.  Please bring back program icons in the list.

-  The application column in v.9 shows the full directory path, and the app name at the very end of it.  This makes the rules list even more difficult to read.  The whole thing is just a big blob of text, very tedious to go through.  I have to extend the app name column, scroll to the end of the line and find the actual app name at the end of the path.  In version 8 only the app name was shown, and the full path was displayed as a tooltip when scrolling over the app name.  That was much more user-friendly.  Please either use a tooltip for the path, or create a separate column for the path

- The column width is reset every time I enter the rules list.  I have to extend the application name column every time in order to read the name.  This is especially hard with the long path name shown in that column.  Up until v.8 ESET remembered the column widths and it did not reset them every time the list was opened.  Please let ESET save the column width settings.

The list in version 8 worked well and it didn't need 'fixing' since it wasn't broken.  I understand the need to modernize the GUI once in a while, but that really doesn't mean just gutting a bunch of useful features and replacing them with a 'search' button (the magnifier glass icon in the top right corner), which is not a replacement for all the things I mentioned above.  The search is useful, but most of the time I do not need to search for a specific application.  Instead, I regularly go through the entire list to remove any outdated entries and look for anything that may seem suspicious, or revise the list for whatever reason.  That's very difficult to do in version 9. 

I'm not asking for any new features, all I'm asking is bring back the user-friendly list style from previous versions, or give us an alternative, instead of just gutting the user-friendly sortable list. 

Thank you for your consideration.

EDIT:

- Another feature that's been removed, that was present in the Detailed View in v.8, was the green / red arrow-icon identifier for 'allowed' and 'denied' inbound or outbound traffic.  This allowed me to very easily identify all blocked and non-blocked programs in the list.  All this color-coding was very convenient.  I don't understand why it has been removed. 

For comparison:

v.8  hxxp://s5.postimg.org/akn0j22yf/ESET_rules_list_v8.png

v.9  hxxp://s5.postimg.org/45nzmdw8n/ESET_rules_list_v9.png

Well, it turns out the v10 firewall rules list looks just as bleak and difficult to navigate as v9, and it's hard on the eyes, so I am re-posting my suggestion for a user-friendly list that was present in v8 and earlier.

• Administrators

New setting for firewall

Smart mode: Allows all connections from processes that LiveGrid determines as safe or fine. And prompts for those that LiveGrid considers unknown 

Malware would easily avoid this by injecting into legitimate processes, such as svchost.exe.

New setting for firewall

Smart mode: Allows all connections from processes that LiveGrid determines as safe or fine. And prompts for those that LiveGrid considers unknown 

Malware would easily avoid this by injecting into legitimate processes, such as svchost.exe.

But isn't automatic mode(default) also vulnerable to that?

• Most Valued Members

Description:  A few suggestions to make the Firewall rules list more user-friendly, again. 

Detail:  Up until (and including) version 8 the rules list had the following useful features which are now missing in v.9:

- "Detailed view" was available where the list could be sorted by various categories, most importantly by name and date modified.  Detailed view is gone in v.9 for not apparent reason, and so the list cannot be sorted anymore.  Please either bring back Detailed view with sorting, OR enable sorting in the main rules list.

- Program icons were shown next to each application name.  The icons made the list very easy to browse and made all safe applications easy to identify.  Icons have been removed in v.9.  Please bring back program icons in the list.

-  The application column in v.9 shows the full directory path, and the app name at the very end of it.  This makes the rules list even more difficult to read.  The whole thing is just a big blob of text, very tedious to go through.  I have to extend the app name column, scroll to the end of the line and find the actual app name at the end of the path.  In version 8 only the app name was shown, and the full path was displayed as a tooltip when scrolling over the app name.  That was much more user-friendly.  Please either use a tooltip for the path, or create a separate column for the path

- The column width is reset every time I enter the rules list.  I have to extend the application name column every time in order to read the name.  This is especially hard with the long path name shown in that column.  Up until v.8 ESET remembered the column widths and it did not reset them every time the list was opened.  Please let ESET save the column width settings.

The list in version 8 worked well and it didn't need 'fixing' since it wasn't broken.  I understand the need to modernize the GUI once in a while, but that really doesn't mean just gutting a bunch of useful features and replacing them with a 'search' button (the magnifier glass icon in the top right corner), which is not a replacement for all the things I mentioned above.  The search is useful, but most of the time I do not need to search for a specific application.  Instead, I regularly go through the entire list to remove any outdated entries and look for anything that may seem suspicious, or revise the list for whatever reason.  That's very difficult to do in version 9. 

I'm not asking for any new features, all I'm asking is bring back the user-friendly list style from previous versions, or give us an alternative, instead of just gutting the user-friendly sortable list. 

Thank you for your consideration.

EDIT:

- Another feature that's been removed, that was present in the Detailed View in v.8, was the green / red arrow-icon identifier for 'allowed' and 'denied' inbound or outbound traffic.  This allowed me to very easily identify all blocked and non-blocked programs in the list.  All this color-coding was very convenient.  I don't understand why it has been removed. 

For comparison:

v.8  hxxp://s5.postimg.org/akn0j22yf/ESET_rules_list_v8.png

v.9  hxxp://s5.postimg.org/45nzmdw8n/ESET_rules_list_v9.png

Well, it turns out the v10 firewall rules list looks just as bleak and difficult to navigate as v9, and it's hard on the eyes, so I am re-posting my suggestion for a user-friendly list that was present in v8 and earlier.

I would love this to. Being able to organise by name would make perfect sense and I don't really know why you can't do this anymore. It doesn't help having this added to the start of each application "Allow communication for ..."   e.g. "Allow communication for Chrome" and so on. Most firewalls simply have the application name. Adding this text just makes it much harder to look at.

The firewall rules and the fact some windows cannot be resized - especially annoying in the antivirus result window, are two things I really find backwards for what otherwise is an amazing security program

• 2 weeks later...

Uh yes it can be, use NTLite. It can remove more than just Powershell... hxxp://www.ntlite.com

Having done some looking into NTLite, it does seem to be able to remove Powershell functionality (no idea whether a system is stable this way, as it's generally described as a core element of the operating system these days).

​However, with Microsoft replacing the command prompt with Powershell (hxxp://www.networkworld.com/article/3143196/windows/microsoft-is-replacing-the-cmd-prompt-with-powershell.html), it would be more helpful to not have to reinstall the function when it is needed. Greater control through AMSI, it seems to me, would allow users to easily or selectively disable all Powershell execution, but quickly re-enable it when needed.

​Since ESET SS is hooked into AMSI anyway and can thus make "go/no-go decisions" for script execution, it's a feature I'd like to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Description: File shredder.

Detail: Not sure if it has been said before but a file shredder would not be hard to add. Just a small thing so certain files you don't want are erased for real and not left in the hard disk occupying spaces. First thing that comes to my mind. To clarify better, file shredder= program that overwrites selected files using a specified data sanitation method, ensuring that it can never be recovered with a file recovery program.

• 3 weeks later...

I have ESS 9 and have just realized that windows positions are not saved. This is extremely annoying. I am currently configuring firewall in interactive mode, and every single time I reopen the rules window it's shrunk to the default size, no matter how I previously resize it. This seems to apply to all resizeable windows of the program.

Please fix this.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Octopuss said:

I have ESS 9 and have just realized that windows positions are not saved. This is extremely annoying. I am currently configuring firewall in interactive mode, and every single time I reopen the rules window it's shrunk to the default size, no matter how I previously resize it. This seems to apply to all resizeable windows of the program.

Please fix this.

Does the problem persist with the latest v10?

I don't know, I use version 9 - which is visually raped enough, coming from v8. 10 looks even more flat and even more horrible, and I have zero intentions to install that.

On that note, I really don't understand what are you guys thinking when designing the interface. Everyone is crazy about Windows 10. Allright, but why does everyone have to produce ugly looking programs because of that?

One more thing: inability to sort rules in firewall configuration. I wanted to test the learning mode, and quickly realized it was impossible to sort the rules for example by name. Result: useless, because everything is in one giant pile. With few pages worth of generated rules it's virtually impossible not to get lost.

P.S. I assume this and my previous complaint is one of the core things that are likely unchanged across different versions of the program.

Edited by Octopuss

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Octopuss said:

One more thing: inability to sort rules in firewall configuration. I wanted to test the learning mode, and quickly realized it was impossible to sort the rules for example by name.

Rule order determines the order in which rules are evaluated. Sorting them by name would mess up the order of evaluation. Both v9 and v10 have a full-text filter where you can enter the name of a desired application to filter related rules for instance. The rule editor is subject to further improvements. We listen to our users' feedback so you or somebody else could create a new topic with suggestions how to make it work best. However, take into account that rule order determines how the firewall will work.

I decided to enable firewall logging, and the program is now bugging me about it every few seconds. Again, extremely annoying. I want to keep the desktop notifications though in case a virus is detected or something. I don't want to be reminded to turn logging off. I mean what the hell? I enabled it for a reason.

I'm starting to get unpleasant feeling about ESS knowing better than me what I want. That is unacceptable.

Why can't you give users freedom to configure product they paid for the way they want? This goes for other notifications a well btw. I disabled anti-phishing protection and can't get rid of the alert. I did that intentionally!

Edited by Octopuss

21 hours ago, Marcos said:

Does the problem persist with the latest v10?

Yes. Windows dimensions are not saved in v10 either.

Also, a nitpick: when I resize a column, it would be nice (and I belive it's kind of a standard now) to show the text while I'm dragging the mouse around.

Edited by Octopuss

• 3 weeks later...

Please post a "sticky" in this forum and the NOD32 one that Eset's SSL Protocol scanning feature is not compatible with any other security software that does the same and list examples of such software e.g.

Ad-Aware Web Filtering

Adguard install version

NetNanny

etc..

The wording should state that either the software must be uninstalled or the HTTPS scanning option in the software disabled.

Also add such verbage to Eset's help documentation.

This will help in resolved issues with SSL protocol scanning in the Forums.

Edited by itman