Description: A few suggestions to make the Firewall rules list more user-friendly, again.
Detail: Up until (and including) version 8 the rules list had the following useful features which are now missing in v.9:
- "Detailed view" was available where the list could be sorted by various categories, most importantly by name and date modified. Detailed view is gone in v.9 for not apparent reason, and so the list cannot be sorted anymore. Please either bring back Detailed view with sorting, OR enable sorting in the main rules list.
- Program icons were shown next to each application name. The icons made the list very easy to browse and made all safe applications easy to identify. Icons have been removed in v.9. Please bring back program icons in the list.
- The application column in v.9 shows the full directory path, and the app name at the very end of it. This makes the rules list even more difficult to read. The whole thing is just a big blob of text, very tedious to go through. I have to extend the app name column, scroll to the end of the line and find the actual app name at the end of the path. In version 8 only the app name was shown, and the full path was displayed as a tooltip when scrolling over the app name. That was much more user-friendly. Please either use a tooltip for the path, or create a separate column for the path.
- The column width is reset every time I enter the rules list. I have to extend the application name column every time in order to read the name. This is especially hard with the long path name shown in that column. Up until v.8 ESET remembered the column widths and it did not reset them every time the list was opened. Please let ESET save the column width settings.
The list in version 8 worked well and it didn't need 'fixing' since it wasn't broken. I understand the need to modernize the GUI once in a while, but that really doesn't mean just gutting a bunch of useful features and replacing them with a 'search' button (the magnifier glass icon in the top right corner), which is not a replacement for all the things I mentioned above. The search is useful, but most of the time I do not need to search for a specific application. Instead, I regularly go through the entire list to remove any outdated entries and look for anything that may seem suspicious, or revise the list for whatever reason. That's very difficult to do in version 9.
I'm not asking for any new features, all I'm asking is bring back the user-friendly list style from previous versions, or give us an alternative, instead of just gutting the user-friendly sortable list.
Thank you for your consideration.
- Another feature that's been removed, that was present in the Detailed View in v.8, was the green / red arrow-icon identifier for 'allowed' and 'denied' inbound or outbound traffic. This allowed me to very easily identify all blocked and non-blocked programs in the list. All this color-coding was very convenient. I don't understand why it has been removed.