And so it begins....

TheSkymanDC

The question is does ESET still run in full functionality just without the new functions before a restart? It looks like the new version will automatically install when the computer is powered on.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ScottBarker said:

So if I understand the official post for 9.0.2032.6/7 , I don't actually have to push this to my users, it should just upgrade with a reboot? This is very odd....

Program updates (also referred to as uPCU) are installed after a reboot which prevents another reboot to be required after upgrade.

• ESET Insiders

But if a user is logged an, and receives the upgrade while logged in, a reboot is required correct?  At least that is what I am seeing at my company.  All computers have been required to have a reboot.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Trooper said:

But if a user is logged an, and receives the upgrade while logged in, a reboot is required correct?  At least that is what I am seeing at my company.  All computers have been required to have a reboot.

In this case it is an important security update which is installed and therefore the protection status changes to red and tells to reboot the machine. After the reboot, the product will be upgraded to the latest v9 version and no further restart will be needed. In the future when there's a standard program update available, the protection status won't turn red and users will not be distracted by a change of the protection status. Upgrade will be performed silently the next time the OS is (re)started.

• ESET Insiders
2 hours ago, Marcos said:

In this case it is an important security update which is installed and therefore the protection status changes to red and tells to reboot the machine. After the reboot, the product will be upgraded to the latest v9 version and no further restart will be needed. In the future when there's a standard program update available, the protection status won't turn red and users will not be distracted by a change of the protection status. Upgrade will be performed silently the next time the OS is (re)started.

Thanks Marcos this is good info to be aware of.  I am upgrading all endpoints as I type this.  Is there a changelog for this?  I only noticed a hotfix mentioned earlier.  Thanks!

i found that when user see the notification to upgrade to 9.0.2032.6, he shutdown computer and turn on . The program cannot upgrade to 9.0.2032.6. It will upgrade to 9.0.2032.6 until user "click restart" to restart computer.

We must click "restart computer" when see the upgrade notification?

Thanks.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, mikechan said:

i found that when user see the notification to upgrade to 9.0.2032.6, he shutdown computer and turn on . The program cannot upgrade to 9.0.2032.6. It will upgrade to 9.0.2032.6 until user "click restart" to restart computer.

We must click "restart computer" when see the upgrade notification?

This is because shutdown doesn't perform a true shutdown with Fast startup enabled on Windows 10+. Therefore we recommend restarting the machine instead of shutting it down. It's also possible to turn off Fast startup but it would cause Windows to start longer after turning on the machine.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Trooper said:

Thanks Marcos this is good info to be aware of.  I am upgrading all endpoints as I type this.  Is there a changelog for this?  I only noticed a hotfix mentioned earlier.  Thanks!

The changelog is available within the announcement on this forum for instance. In case of the latest version v9.2032.6 (some language versions have 9.2032.7), the only change was an important security fix.

i don't think user will "restart" their computer in office hour. They shutdown computer when they get off work. Then, they turn on computer next working day.

So, how to upgrade the version of the ESET software if user don't want to "restart" computer?

Thanks.

• Administrators

You can disable Fast startup so that shutting down the machine will perform a true shutdown. You can also send a message to users with older version to save their work and reboot their machines remotely at some time.

• ESET Insiders
6 hours ago, Marcos said:

The changelog is available within the announcement on this forum for instance. In case of the latest version v9.2032.6 (some language versions have 9.2032.7), the only change was an important security fix.

I saw that, but was looking for more specifics.  Anything to do with the log4j2 issue?

Wouldn't it be nice if in Windows 10 ESET Endpoint Security, before upgrading to a new version via the PCU, monitored that the user chooses to shutdown rather than restart, and at the same time turn off "Fast startup" until the next startup.

Edited by labynko

• Administrators
1 hour ago, labynko said:

Wouldn't it be nice if in Windows 10 ESET Endpoint Security, before upgrading to a new version via the PCU, monitored that the user chooses to shutdown rather than restart, and at the same time turn off "Fast startup" until the next startup.

Not sure if it would be possible without any adverse effect on performance. At any rate, we cannot change unrelated system settings. If administrators prefer not to use Fast startup, they must disable it themselves in Windows.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, TheSkymanDC said:

Security and stability update to newer version is prepared. Restart your computer for all changes to take effect.

I'm counting on this going well.

@Marcos Will there be a way to suppress these notifications on the endpoint via policy? I am fine with them reporting the status to the console, but I also don't need 5k people opening support tickets asking why their system tray is red.  

• Administrators
6 hours ago, kingoftheworld said:

@Marcos Will there be a way to suppress these notifications on the endpoint via policy? I am fine with them reporting the status to the console, but I also don't need 5k people opening support tickets asking why their system tray is red.  

I don't think this could be suppressed but you can try disabling the "Device restart required" protection status:

image.png

Anyways, think of stability and security update notifications as a home alarm warning you that you that the door is not locked when leaving the home. Security and stability updates are released occasionally (once a year is too much I'd say) and it's important to install them asap in order to keep the system secure.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

I don't think this could be suppressed but you can try disabling the "Device restart required" protection status:

image.png

Anyways, think of stability and security update notifications as a home alarm warning you that you that the door is not locked when leaving the home. Security and stability updates are released occasionally (once a year is too much I'd say) and it's important to install them asap in order to keep the system secure.

Thank you for the response and I will test that.  I understand the importance of updates, but without the option to disable these notifications will likely be a deal breaker for my organization.  We manage device restarts no less than once per week.  The red system tray icon will only result in my users calling in a support ticket.  If what you suggested doesn't disable these, please add this feature in ASAP.