Automatic deletion of cookies in Edge by ESET add-on

Interesting insight about the incomplete automatic deletion of cookies in Microsoft Edge: https://malwaretips.com/threads/microsoft-edge-stable-chromium-now-available-for-download.95808/page-118#post-1084663
Since ESET's "Browser Privacy" add-on uses Edge's internal processes for deletion, even when the add-on is set to "Delete All", components remain undeleted for this reason. 🤔
Is there a plan to address this situation? 

It's a general question.

In Microsoft Edge, there is an option to set "Clear all cookies" when you close the browser. Essentially the same can be set in the "ESET Browser Privacy and Security" add-on.

The problem is that there is probably a bug in Edge that causes all cookies, objects, to not always be deleted. Complete deletion can be achieved by manually starting the deletion process.

The question is therefore whether ESET is aware of this and whether a remedy is planned. Of course meant to correct the functioning of the add-on not the functioning of Edge.

Posted (edited)

No, in standard mode. 
In some cases, despite the "Clear All" setting in the "Browser Privacy" add-on, cookies/objects will remain after restarting the browser. 
If you feel like testing, try the website: https://osel.cz (popular science). For me, 100% of visits will leave an undeleted artefact.

Edited by czesetfan

On 4/26/2024 at 2:54 PM, czesetfan said:

The problem is that there is probably a bug in Edge that causes all cookies, objects, to not always be deleted. Complete deletion can be achieved by manually starting the deletion process.

My suspicion is Eset' Secure Browser cookie deletion processing is just using the same like processing available for the given supported browser.

• Marcos changed the title to Automatic deletion of cookies in Edge by ESET add-on
  • ESET Staff
17 hours ago, czesetfan said:

No, in standard mode. 
In some cases, despite the "Clear All" setting in the "Browser Privacy" add-on, cookies/objects will remain after restarting the browser. 
If you feel like testing, try the website: https://osel.cz (popular science). For me, 100% of visits will leave an undeleted artefact.

I did a quick test on mentioned website on MS Edge and it works as expected, it removed website cookies and localstorage unless I enabled exclusion for open tabs. Do you have enabled Advanced cookie settings?

image.png

btw Browser Privacy & Security uses API provided by browser to cleanup cookies

That's interesting. 🤔
I'm experimenting with enabling/disabling Advanced cookie settings. So far the remains remain in both cases. I'll keep trying.

I would appreciate if more users would do this test and share their results. 🙂

2 hours ago, czesetfan said:

I'm experimenting with enabling/disabling Advanced cookie settings. So far the remains remain in both cases. I'll keep trying.

Perhaps you missed this statement;

10 hours ago, constexpr said:

btw Browser Privacy & Security uses API provided by browser to cleanup cookies

You previously posted;

On 4/29/2024 at 1:36 PM, czesetfan said:

Therefore, your problem is with Edge.

Yes, I already know that the ESET add-on works with the browser API. 👍

That's why my original question was whether ESET developers know about the problem with unreliable deletion, or if a solution is in the works.

It's just that, it looks like I can't yet demonstrate whether this bug is global. 😒

• ESET Staff
On 5/1/2024 at 9:00 AM, czesetfan said:

That's why my original question was whether ESET developers know about the problem with unreliable deletion, or if a solution is in the works.

Now they know about it ;)

If you find out more details, please feel free to share them with us