CPU Usage ekrn.exe spikes and stays there

sabreene

Wolfwalker, yes, disabling "Web protection" in Malwarebytes solves the problem.  The other solution, which I consider not to be a solution since it leaves your computer vulnerable, is to disable ESET's Protocol Filtering which again, is not a good idea.

Ugtopian, yes, Malwarebytes and ESET worked in harmony for years so again, what changed??

2 hours ago, mippster said:

Wolfwalker, yes, disabling "Web protection" in Malwarebytes solves the problem.  The other solution, which I consider not to be a solution since it leaves your computer vulnerable, is to disable ESET's Protocol Filtering which again, is not a good idea.

Ugtopian, yes, Malwarebytes and ESET worked in harmony for years so again, what changed??

My best guess is Eset has "beefed up" its JavaScript scanner and MBAM's like protection is conflicting with it.

As a test, try disabling Eset's advanced browser script protection and see it that resolves the CPU usage issue. Or alternatively, disable like protection in MBAM, if possible, while keeping Eset's like protection enabled and see if it resolves the CPU usage issue. Personally, I would disable MBAM's script protection since I feel Eset's is superior to it.

Another possible point of conflict is MBAM's anti-exploit protection which is now included in the product. In the past, it was a stand-alone feature. Add Win 10's Windows Defender Exploit Guard that is constantly running and you have three anti-exploit products running at the same time …………..

Edited by itman

I used ESET with MBAM V3 Premium for the long time

I think it's happen after update ESET in 2018 december , When i play game blade and soul in full screen mode and press alt+tab to switch to some program For example Garena and now ekrn.exe suddenly high cpu usage 25% . If i close my game and do the same as i tell you now cpu usage is 50% (25% per cycle) . My friends has the same problem but they play stream game so if i want to fix this problem i have to restart my computer every time that high cpu usage and i found that if i disabled internet protection in setup and protocal filtering the problem is resolved

Product name: ESET Internet Security
Product version: 12.0.31.0
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate(64-bit)
Machine: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

• Administrators

With v12.0 installed, please enable operating system advanced logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics. Reproduce the issue, then disable advanced logging, gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated archive.

23 hours ago, Rami said:

Okay , report back if it helps or not , I think it goes fine until the next day , that means you do reboot the PC or turn it on again? , maybe the drivers load again and the CPU spikes again

I was out of the office yesterday.  But yes I shut my laptop down when I take it to  and from work.

22 hours ago, Rami said:

It's not both developers responsibility to make the program with the other program unless they are cooperating with eachother

Clearly, it is not.  But, if there are multiple reports of issues that coincide with a recent update, even if it's not related, it's worth mentioning that there was a recent update.

Any time you're troubleshooting a computer issue, you ask yourself what have I added or changed recently, and work from there.  

I'm fine with disabling the feature, in MWB3 (which has been around since at least 2016).  I wanted to share what I had found, in an attempt to save others from having the issue (if it wasn't something unique to me).  But, if Eset is able to determine the cause, and avoid the conflict, it may help retain sales.  Or, if it is not something that can be done without adversely affecting the effectiveness of the software, a warning about the conflict would do nicely to save some head banging.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

With v12.0 installed, please enable operating system advanced logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics. Reproduce the issue, then disable advanced logging, gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated archive.

i send my eset log collector file to you . Please check your pm inbox 

• Administrators

@Pugar, is Garena a gaming platform which generates network traffic while playing games? Do you observe high cpu usage when it's not running? According to comments above, disabling MBAM's web protection resolves the issue, correct?

Please configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per https://support.eset.com/kb380 and manually trigger a crash when you observe high cpu usage. After a reboot, compress the generated memory dump, upload it to a safe location and drop me a message with a download link.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

@Pugar, is Garena a gaming platform which generates network traffic while playing games? Do you observe high cpu usage when it's not running? According to comments above, disabling MBAM's web protection resolves the issue, correct?

Please configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per https://support.eset.com/kb380 and manually trigger a crash when you observe high cpu usage. After a reboot, compress the generated memory dump, upload it to a safe location and drop me a message with a download link.

no it doesn't generates network traffic while playing games

it use to login id and password and server give you random GarenaToken for play game  (you can't see GarenaToken)

when you are in game you can close that program

i have to observe again and i will tell you later