Your Security Setup with Eset.

Janus

Hello

Do you have a moment, ...thanks. I ask because my purpose with this post is to see, just out of curiosity, what other security software you have as a companion to your Eset product, if any. If you will post back? Then please hold this thread in a good tone, and give a constructive feedback. And if you see/read that a user use something that you think is, let say, of lesser quality, then please don't be harsh. You may write about:

1. What browser do you use, and do you use script blocking?
  2. Do you have any other antivirus solution running beside Eset, real time or only on demand?
  3. Do you have an image backup solution, like Paragon backup and Recovery - Acronis-O&O Diskimage etc. If you use no backup solution, is it then because you have not thought about it?

Regards Janus :-))

Okay I will start first. I use Eset Smart Security as "first line of defense" .....My browser is IE 11 with Activex filtering enabled, and with enhanced protected mode, and have Enable 64-bit Processes for the Enhanced Protected Mode ......As a on demand scanner I use Hitman pro. .....My backup solution is Paragon Backup and Recovery software. I have a backup capsula on hard disk, and have stored a driveimage of my harddisk in town, so I can recreate my system anytime... This is my primary setup, what is yours?

1. Eset Nod32 v7.0.302.0
  2. What browser do you use, and do you use script blocking? Waterfox - do not use script block
  3. Do you have any other antivirus solution running beside Eset, real time or only on demand? I use Malwarebytes,SuperASW, and Hitman Pro for On-demand
  4. Do you have an image backup solution, like Paragon backup and Recovery - Acronis-O&O Diskimage etc. If you use no backup solution, is it then because you have not thought about it? I have a raid 1 on my data drive, my second data drive is hot swappable, and the company i work for gives me a few free gigs of online/offsite backup , that i keep the windows back up image on.

Thanks Janus for sharing.

Edited by Arakasi

Real-time      : ESS, Zemana AntiLogger.

On-demand      : MBAM, HMP.

Browser        : FF24 + ABP, WOT, QuickJS.

Virtualization : Sandboxie, ShadowDefender, VMWare.

Encryption     : TrueCrypt.

Backup         : Macrium Reflect.

Rescue CD      : ESET SysRescue, Kaspersky Rescue Disk, Avira Rescue System.

Boot CD        : Hiren's BootCD, Microsoft DaRT.

Secure DNS     : Comodo.

Other          : EMET, GMER, Panada USB Vaccine, AppLocker, Process Hacker, HMP.Alert.

Notes: All programs are up-to-date and heavily optimized to ensure high security while maintaining usability and flexibility. There is also a long list of other programs and services I use occasionally as needed.

Hey...

Arakasi, Waterfox 64 bit is a good browser. Have used it in a project, and were very pleased about  its performance . But somewhere along the way, I forgot about Waterfox. Will install it again, because I need a "good" second browser option. "Thanks you for reminding me"

Hey TGW, really nice and strong setup. But It is definitely not for the average user to manages. I have used Shadow Defender before, but It is a couple a years ago. (now I use vmware if needed). Have tested Shadow Defender and it is a very solid light and flexible tool, with a extremely low system footprint. Another tool in your arsenal that I really like is Hiren's Bootcd. It is the most complex Boot cd I have ever used. It has never failed me, when I have to rescue some of my Gamer friends systems. It takes some time, to learn to control the many features, but it is time well spent, I think. Another nifty and more user friendly, but at the same time strong tool, is "Hitman pro "Kickstart usb tool". It is easier (and equally as strong) and a lot more user frindly than Eset rescue cd's.That is of course my subjective opinion.

Thanks Arakasi and TGW for sharing. (Oh oh, have to run now, have a nice day.)

Regards, Janus

Edited by Janus

Thanks Janus for your feedback.

I encourage more members to post if they dont mind.

I agree hirens is a nice utility tool, especially for passwords.

My second favorite utility tool is Trinity Rescue Kit. Check it out Janus.

Another one thats good is MRI. Despite who uses it or where its from, the developer was good.

Ciao for now :)

AntiVirus: NOD32 (Web prot modules disabled), Outpost Security Suite (formerly VirusBuster)
On Demand Only: Malwarebytes, SuperAnti-Spyware
FireWall & HIPs: Outpost Security Suite
Browser: IceDragon w NoScript
Virtualization: VMWare
Backup: Acronis True Image
Other: Zemana Antilogger PRO (System Defense module disabled), DNSCrypt (OpenDNS), occasionally use Malwarebytes anti-exploit beta

Edited by btm

Hello btm and wellcome

It is so nice to see someone having thought about backup software, because it can really save your ... ,  you know, a certain body part many times? So thumbs up for that. It is a thought out setup. But I have to ask you, hope you don't mind, but did you had many problems setting up nod32 and Outpost ? I ask because I have seen many incompatibility issues with the combination nod32 + Outpost. Thank you, for you sharing your setup with us,and once again welcome :-))

Regards, Janus

Nothing I couldn't handle. As I stated in the post I disabled the web protections in NOD. I just posted elsewhere about this actually, lol. I remember having issues with certain things on an older NOD version and fixed it that way. So I did it with 7 as well by reflex. I love the AntiVirus, but I just like the other protections (alerts, rule setup,  etc) of Outpost more so I rely on that one for most everything else. I do have them both running real-time but OSS is set to scan on execution only.

As for the backup,  I usually end up using that quite often, I have an image of a 'clean' install with just the essentials installed and revert back to it every few months. I download and test alot of software from cnet and tipradar. I do use VM's but sometimes I'm just lazy or its an intensive program so I do end up with some junk over time. Nothing like that new computer feeling! =)

I forgot to say that another reason I like NOD is the quick response time I've gotten after submitting files for inspection. (All have been false positives so far /knock on wood)

Edited by btm

Btm , thanks for your post and setup explanation.

Its nice to know that the outpost firewall and nod32 is not a major compatibility issue, but a common locked file issue due to scanning of real time protection from both programs.

I know a few people that could take some lessons from you on how to utilize security software simultaneously.

Your image of a clean install is definitely a very nice fallback plan, and i am sure i would use it regularly too if i did not have so many games and such installed with configurations and ini files that change daily.

Thanks again

@btm

Welcome to the forums. :)

You mention that you have disabled the Web protection module in NOD32, wich is the first and one of, if not the most effective layer in the product. As ESET is very very good at detecting and blocking threats/malware at the source itself. So with that layer disabled you have decreased the protection and detection capability in the product significantly. 

I just wanted to mention that so you are aware. 

Good morning Janus,

I am happy to reply.

1. Mostly I use the Firefox browser v24.0 for general browsing. Yes I do use a script blocker, NoScript, currently v2.6.8.4. I also use the IE8.0 browser to do banking duties; just becaue FF24 still does not work, and, I gave up trying to nudge it to work! No harm, no foul.

2. No, I run ESET Endpoint AV v5.0.2144.4 on 2 clients, v6.0.316.on my 'TEST' client, and ESWS v4.5.12011.0 on my server. These choices run real-time 24/7. On 2 clients I use Malware Bytes v1.75.0.1300 as an on-demand scanner. I would add that since starting ESET AV in 2006 (v2.0BE), I have lived virus free. Excellent service. I also live and die with the MVPS Hosts File.

2a. I still use Windows XPpro. I will commense an upgrade cycle to Win7pro by years end. My AV/Secutity choices will remain as shared here.

3. Not technically an image backup solution, but I do use the MS Backup tool to backup my clients and server (everything!) to my Netgear ReadyNAS each month, post WinUpdate patches and cleaning via CCleaner (Piriform LTD).

I do so hope this helps anyone.

Thank you for your interest.

/Duncan

Edited by cosmo32

Hello Cosmo 32

Thank you for sharing your setup. Much appreciated. I hope that this thread can lead to some inspiration for those who might not be so knowledgeable, yet. I mean, if just one reader get a "eureka" moment, like... oh yes, of course backup is essential layer to security, for my family pictures e.t.c. then it would be perfect. We all come here on this forum, with very different levels of knowhow. And maybe can some of  these small posts, lead to some constructive second thoughts or questions for some. (oh bye the way Cosmo 32 I really like your Avatar, it remind me of myself monday morning....)

Hi

Sandboxie - Firefox -No script.
On demand - Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro
Nod32 v7 , no backup software yet but thinking about O&O diskImage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hirens's

Real-time      : ESS, Zemana AntiLogger.

On-demand      : MBAM, HMP.

Browser        : FF24 + ABP, WOT, QuickJS.

Virtualization : Sandboxie, ShadowDefender, VMWare.

Encryption     : TrueCrypt.

Backup         : Macrium Reflect.

Rescue CD      : ESET SysRescue, Kaspersky Rescue Disk, Avira Rescue System.

Boot CD        : Hiren's BootCD, Microsoft DaRT.

Secure DNS     : Comodo.

Other          : EMET, GMER, Panada USB Vaccine, AppLocker, Process Hacker, HMP.Alert.

Notes: All programs are up-to-date and heavily optimized to ensure high security while maintaining usability and flexibility. There is also a long list of other programs and services I use occasionally as needed.

Hi TGW,

I saw a Youtube video in which they show how to remove an MBR infection and used Kaspersky TDSS Killer detect to the MBR virus and the Hirens's Boot CD to remove it. It looked to me that Hirens's only repaired the MBR though. I have Partition Commander from Avanquest and it will repair the MBR. Where did you download it? I went to the Hirens's Boot CD web site and tried, but they want you to download a download manager and Eset Smart Security Ver. 7 didn't like that and wanted me to disconnect, so I didn't download it. I don't like download managers.

Thanks,

Jes

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Do you have a moment, ...thanks. I ask because my purpose with this post is to see, just out of curiosity, what other security software you have as a companion to your Eset product, if any. If you will post back? Then please hold this thread in a good tone, and give a constructive feedback. And if you see/read that a user use something that you think is, let say, of lesser quality, then please don't be harsh. You may write about:

1. What browser do you use, and do you use script blocking?
  2. Do you have any other antivirus solution running beside Eset, real time or only on demand?
  3. Do you have an image backup solution, like Paragon backup and Recovery - Acronis-O&O Diskimage etc. If you use no backup solution, is it then because you have not thought about it?

Chromium 64 + ScriptSafe

ESET Smart Security

No imaging, I like managing backups and restoring manually.

Lastpass+VPN (PIA)+OpenDNS+DNSCrypt

I used to go all out, but I realized if I was going to "go all out" doing it under windows was hilarious at best, and I have far too many games on Steam to fool with *Nix video card driver shenanigans anymore. I don't mind nuking everything and starting over from a bare drive, I like reinstalling anyway. Though I've not had anything in several years, the last was a keylogger from some gaming related site for WoW. (Which, I've found, blocking connections to ad networks, all third party scripts and using Lastpass so I don't even type passwords, let alone am I anywhere near capable of remembering them, stops.)

Edited by Nizrax000