ESET v9 was short lived; now v10.What was wrong with v8?

I have several used and unused 1year licenses for ESET 1 year. Presently using v8.304.

It seems like the "new' version is somehow pushed down our throats, even though there is high resistance from a broad spectrum of users.

Why change something only for the sake of changing??? There is absolutely no performance improvement in v9/10 versus v8.

Version 9post-13851-0-69480800-1476821766_thumb.jpg

Version 8post-13851-0-74268600-1476821779_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Alex

Bear in mind that you don't have to install Version 10 when it becomes available.

If you like your version- you can keep your version. sound familiar?

• Administrators

V10 brings new features, such as ransomware protection, webcam protection and home network protection. Premium version also brings Password manager as disk encryption to protect data. Also each new version is likely to contain fixes for issues that were reported with older versions.

Regarding performance, each testing organization performs different tests and not all reflect real-time use (e.g. standard users install concrete software once and not repeatedly so any small difference in install time is irrelevant). I recall tests performed by a prestigious organization where performance differences between v8 and v9 were clearly visible. So instead of just looking at some numbers not measured on your pc, try installing v9 or v10 and use it for some time.

• Most Valued Members

V10 is not being "pushed down your throat". Like any software there is always new features added into it to make it more desirable (otherwise there would be no point in upgrading). Likewise the code itself has been cleaned up and polished.

I have been running v10 for a long time now and the difference between it and v9 makes it worth the change alone. Memory usage has fallen massively, and problems with poor web browser performance has been addressed.

You always get a free 30 day trial with any version anyway, so why not install it (on release) and see for yourself. If you don't like it then you are always free to uninstall it and go back to the previous version you were using that you were happy with.

We don't do gambling on here, but my money would say that you would install v10 and never return to the older versions :) 

• ESET Insiders

The most beautiful thing in ESET licensing is that, that when you buy even ESET Smart Security v3, you still have got possibility to install ESS v10, as the key is the same for all versions and subscriptions is for virus definitions and license for using any version of that product, so if you prefer v5, v7 or v9 interface, you could stick with it, but remember that with that versions you won't get new features, only new virus definition files. If anything will be broken in v10, you always could get back to v9, v8 or earlier. Nobody will push you to use latest version - this only ups to you what you choose, but I choose to use v10 after long time spent in betatests, this update is worth of your attention.

• Administrators

The most beautiful thing in ESET licensing is that, that when you buy even ESET Smart Security v3, you still have got possibility to install ESS v10, as the key is the same for all versions and subscriptions is for virus definitions and license for using any version of that product, so if you prefer v5, v7 or v9 interface, you could stick with it, but remember that with that versions you won't get new features, only new virus definition files.

That's not actually 100% correct. Each version has its lifetime which you can see at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678/ with information what kind of support is provided for particular versions.

• ESET Insiders

The most beautiful thing in ESET licensing is that, that when you buy even ESET Smart Security v3, you still have got possibility to install ESS v10, as the key is the same for all versions and subscriptions is for virus definitions and license for using any version of that product, so if you prefer v5, v7 or v9 interface, you could stick with it, but remember that with that versions you won't get new features, only new virus definition files.

That's not actually 100% correct. Each version has its lifetime which you can see at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678/ with information what kind of support is provided for particular versions.

Yup, now it's a little bit restricted, but stil users now could get back to v6 and still get definitions update, when 10 will shows up, lowest supported version will be v7. But when I bought my first license for ESET to my home usage it was v3, and nobody forced me to upgrade to v4 and so on, I decided to do it, as new versions gives more security and flexibility, and all of that was without any additional costs. Right now continuing support for all of that versions probably won't be possible due to too big changes in threats itslef and in general in internal works of ESET products.

Hello Martin,

thank you for your interest in the new version.

The date is secret so far, but should be less than a week from now ;-)

Regards, P.R.

Thanks you Peter.

Hello Martin,

thank you for your interest in the new version.

The date is secret so far, but should be less than a week from now ;-)

Regards, P.R.

LOL! I see :) 

Thank you for the info Peter.

• Most Valued Members

I'd like to also add each new version has a few new features. 8 for example added botnet protection, memory protection and others, 9 banking protection, firewall troubleshoot wizard etc.

It's not like they are just doing what some do and change the design making it look different to disguise the fact nothing has changed. Eset seems to bring new features, improved techniques and bug fixes with each neweek version

I'd like to also add each new version has a few new features. 8 for example added botnet protection, memory protection and others, 9 banking protection, firewall troubleshoot wizard etc.

It's not like they are just doing what some do and change the design making it look different to disguise the fact nothing has changed. Eset seems to bring new features, improved techniques and bug fixes with each neweek version

May be true , but each  new version , while has some old bugs fixed will create new bugs which will be fixed  in the next version, and so on.

Antivirus protection is still based on signatures (I would say 99%). All other fancy things (added botnet protection, memory protection and others, banking protection, firewall troubleshoot wizard) are more fancy than useful... a normal user would never touch them and again a normal user most likely will never get an alarm other than signature related detection

• Administrators

Antivirus protection is still based on signatures (I would say 99%). All other fancy things (added botnet protection, memory protection and others, banking protection, firewall troubleshoot wizard) are more fancy than useful... a normal user would never touch them and again a normal user most likely will never get an alarm other than signature related detection

That's not true. Features like AMS, Exploit blocker and Botnet protection have often prevented file encryption without having a signature detection for the Filecoder.

That's not true. Features like AMS, Exploit blocker and Botnet protection have often prevented file encryption without having a signature detection for the Filecoder.
Well, John Alex is partially right, I mean, Eset is a king of signature and additionally few HIPS and firewall modules work pretty good. But programs like Bitdefender (Active Threat Control), Kaspersky (System Watcher) and Emsisoft (Behavior Blocker) perform way better. To be clear, I don't promote these AVs, I just give an example of programs with the best behavior blockers.

The truth is that HIPS on default settings (automatic mode) isn't as effective as these modules mentioned above.

Of course, to be fair, v10 is a good upgrade because Anti-Ransomware protection works quite nicely (not perfectly). Overall, it would be great if ESET would focus on proactive protection improvements. I believe HIPS should be more sensitive. In fact, it would be great if it would be more behavior blocker rather than HIPS.

Edited by adnage19

• Administrators

Well, John Alex is partially right, I mean, Eset is a king of signature and additionally few HIPS and firewall modules work pretty good. But programs like Bitdefender (Active Threat Control), Kaspersky (System Watcher) and Emsisoft (Behavior Blocker) perform way better. To be clear, I don't promote these AVs, I just give an example of programs with the best behavior blockers.

The truth is that HIPS on default settings (automatic mode) isn't as effective as these modules mentioned above.

Of course, to be fair, v10 is a good upgrade because Anti-Ransomware protection works quite nicely (not perfectly). Overall, it would be great if ESET would focus on proactive protection improvements. I believe HIPS should be more sensitive. In fact, it would be great if it would be more behavior blocker rather than HIPS.

You've mentioned Anti-ransomware protection but this is a part of HIPS like AMS and Exploit Blocker. Especially AMS is capable of detecting and terminating unknown malware upon execution as the last layer of defense. And believe me, it's highly effective as I see when testing new malware variants. The fact that the user does not see any default rules or a feature called behavior blocker does not mean it's not there.

If you come across malware that was able to infect a computer with the most current version of ESET installed and all features (incl. LiveGrid) enabled, let me know so that I can look into it. However, I believe it will be extremely difficult to find one.

Of course, to be fair, v10 is a good upgrade because Anti-Ransomware protection works quite nicely (not perfectly).

How do you know that "Anti-Ransomware protection works quite nicely (not perfectly)." V 10 has been released a few days ago, I doubt that you already encountered a ransomware ...

If you have some other info about it , screenshot , I would be curios to see how Anti-Ransomware protection works in real life situation, not only in theory

Edited by John Alex

• Most Valued Members

May be true , but each new version , while has some old bugs fixed will create new bugs which will be fixed in the next version, and so on.

While signatures are important other technologies are needed these days to protect users from zero day vulnerabilities. A lot of eset features are not seen by the average users but work behind the scenes to protect users.

Also while some features might not be used by the average users, eset needs to cater for both average and more advanced users

Of course, to be fair, v10 is a good upgrade because Anti-Ransomware protection works quite nicely (not perfectly).
How do you know that "Anti-Ransomware protection works quite nicely (not perfectly)." V 10 has been released a few days ago, I doubt that you already encountered a ransomware ...

If you have some other info about it , screenshot , I would be curios to see how Anti-Ransomware protection works in real life situation, not only in theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VVYu1f4e8