Eset and Task manager conflict or bug?

• Administrators

I, for one, am not aware of removing any of your posts. I've gone through the log and all your posts and screenshots are in this topic intact.

The issue is being investigated. Since we are unable to reproduce it, we can't confirm yet that it's 100% caused by ESET. For sure just installing ESET is not enough for the issue to manifest.

Hi,

Just to add to this. I have 3 machines, EIS installed on 2 (both relatively clean Windows 10 installs), the other machine is just MS Defender.
This issue is definitely recent. The last couple of days I've been thinking there is problem on the 2 machines, feels like there is no hardware acceleration when dragging Windows around the desktop (though gaming performance is fine). Similar to not actually having the GPU drivers installed (I even checked all was good in device manager).

I read this post at lunchtime at work, just got back in and checked Task Manager on all machines. The 2 units with EIS not showing GPU as others have said. I've run the commands on both, GPU is now back on both machines, I've rebooted and no longer have sluggish performance when dragging Windows.
The 3rd machine is MS Defender had not stopped showing GPU in Task Manager.

@Marcos Are you trying to open a problem in a virtual machine? For me, it is impossible to reproduce this problem on a virtual machine, because Windows only sees the virtual graphics card and does not show its use. The problem only occurs on a "normal" computer. I suggest you check it on a regular computer with GPU, e.g. Nvidia. NO virtual machine

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Tp6ojNfYgWweHa said:

@Marcos Are you trying to open a problem in a virtual machine? For me, it is impossible to reproduce this problem on a virtual machine, because Windows only sees the virtual graphics card and does not show its use. The problem only occurs on a "normal" computer. I suggest you check it on a regular computer with GPU, e.g. Nvidia. NO virtual machine

We've been trying to reproduce it on physical machines and notebooks. If GPU was shown in the Task manager and we installed ESET, it did not disappear. Also we tried detecting eicar so that cleaning is triggered but still no joy; the GUI counter remained in the Task manager.

There's video showing and prints informing you that you're having this problem after updating.
It's not possible that more than 10 people on this forum are wrong, that's because my clients that I nominate make use of eset already talking about the GPU.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We've been trying to reproduce it on physical machines and notebooks. If GPU was shown in the Task manager and we installed ESET, it did not disappear. Also we tried detecting eicar so that cleaning is triggered but still no joy; the GUI counter remained in the Task manager.

Have you checked Performance Monitor? The issue is related, as the GPU reading in Task Manager captures the data the same way Performance Monitor does, and it also shows other issues besides the GPU reading. Simply opening Performance Monitor after a clean install of ESET followed by it fully updating triggered the issue more than once on my end.

The lodctr command works because it restores the Performance Monitor counters.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, cofer123 said:

The lodctr command works because it restores the Performance Monitor counters.

Are you able to reproduce the issue after running the lodctr command and uninstalling and installing ESET ?

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Are you able to reproduce the issue after running the lodctr command and uninstalling and installing ESET ?

Yes, I have tested it on two different computers performing the same steps:

• Already compromised system;
  • Task Manager missing GPU monitoring, and Performance Monitor missing several counters:

https://content.invisioncic.com/Meset/monthly_2022_05/image.png.8166e2cbe42fe2eaf587e4f03fe1f539.png

• Use lodctr command to restore performance counters
  • Task Manager and Performance Monitor start working again without any issues;
  • Uninstall EIS;
  • Reboot;
  • Install EIS (updates not yet installed);
  • Task Manager and Performance Monitor continue to work;
  • Wait for EIS to fully update;
  • The same errors in Task Manager and Performance Monitor manifest again, until I issue the lodctr command once more;

4 minutes ago, cofer123 said:

• Task Manager missing GPU monitoring, and Performance Monitor missing several counters:

https://content.invisioncic.com/Meset/monthly_2022_05/image.png.8166e2cbe42fe2eaf587e4f03fe1f539.png

• Uninstall EIS;
  • Reboot;
  • The same errors in Task Manager and Performance Monitor manifest again, until I issue the lodctr command once more;

Great test, proves that the problem is happening

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, cofer123 said:

• Uninstall EIS;
  • Reboot;

Thank you for this, it helped a lot that the issue could be reproduced after fixing the issue using the lodctr command. I was able to narrow it down to the Internet protection module. It doesn't make sense but my tests confirmed it. Tomorrow we should have more information and updates on this from developers.

Thank you for co-operation and patience while troubleshooting the issue.

I just made an account to report that i have the same issue.

Did the command prompt suggested above. However at each reboot, you have to do it again because it dissapears again.

There is another thread telling the same issues in Tom Hardware. All of them had ESET as Antivirus.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-not-appearing-in-the-performance-task-in-task-manager.3761203/

Capture4.PNG

I got internet protection module 1440.1 with todays date. :)

Hibred shutdown doesn't recreate the problem here, GPU continues to show after 1 rebuild a few days back.

2 hours ago, Wrogg said:

Hibred shutdown doesn't recreate the problem here, GPU continues to show after 1 rebuild a few days back.

I also received module update and did a full system restart.

Same result. Looks like the problem has been resolved. But, I believe continue monitoring will be required for a while to make sure Eset doesn't bork it again.

2 hours ago, Wrogg said:

I can confirm. The issue seems fixed.

I have performed the step I mentioned earlier and performed a clean install of EIS, waited for the module updates to finish, and the Performance Monitor counters are still working properly.

1 hour ago, czesetfan said:

Even after updating the module to 1440.1 and restarting the PC, the GPU monitor is not visible. 😕

Refer to this: https://forum.eset.com/topic/32254-eset-and-task-manager-conflict-or-bug/?do=findComment&comment=150378

I believe the Eset Internet Protection module update only prevents Eset from corrupting GPU performance counters in the future. The update will not fix existing corrupted GPU performance counters.

1 hour ago, czesetfan said:

Even after updating the module to 1440.1 and restarting the PC, the GPU monitor is not visible. e reiniciar o PC, o monitor da GPU não está visível. 😕

The Eset team is solving the problem as reported by @Marcos
Here on mine even updated to 1440.1 it still has problems.

9 minutes ago, itman said:

Refer to this: https://forum.eset.com/topic/32254-eset-and-task-manager-conflict-or-bug/?do=findComment&comment=150378

I believe the Eset Internet Protection module update only prevents Eset from corrupting GPU performance counters in the future. The update will not fix existing corrupted GPU performance counters.

@Marcos informed that he will restore the counter settings automatically.

23 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

The Eset team is solving the problem as reported by @Marcos
Here on mine even updated to 1440.1 it still has problems.

Appears rebuilding the counters only works in some cases. You might have to do everything referenced here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/32254-eset-and-task-manager-conflict-or-bug/?do=findComment&comment=150358

Edited by itman

20 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears rebuilding the counters only works in some cases. You might have to do everything referenced here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/32254-eset-and-task-manager-conflict-or-bug/?do=findComment&comment=150358

This is horrible news, because I have several clients that I indicate the use of ESET, will I have to do this correction manually for everyone?
And for those who have companies will have to go to each computer and do it manually?
If what you said comes true it will be terrible. I don't want to imagine the problem this will cause me I speak for everyone who makes use of the ESET tool.
Still have hope that @Marcos can give news about this automatic correction as he said above

I hope 1440.1 was not the final solution. Just a quick rollback of the changes for those who haven't managed to update to the problematic module version yet. The promised fix (including the return of counter functionality) will hopefully be out today. We have no comment from Marcos yet on the current status of the workaround.