PROTECT Service crashes after few seconds

Go to solution Solved by tomasS,

Hi, I face issue with PROTECT Server 9.0.1144.0 in combination with MS SQL Express 2019 under Windows Server 2019 (build 1809).

Webconsole throws error Login failed: Connection has failed with state "Not connected".

Found out that ESET PROTECT Server service keeps crashing after few seconds.

Tried everything what Google proposed, but without success.

Symptoms are identical as described in these threads (attached patch no longer downloadable):

Where can I privately send C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Logs\trace.log and latest C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Dumps\Local\*.dmp files, please?

Edited by Ondrej

• ESET Staff

Hi,

This error usually is show while the services are still starting up (Virtual Appliance), but I guess you are on the installed version.

Please confirm if you try KB7800...

https://support.eset.com/en/kb7800-error-login-failed-connection-has-failed-with-state-not-connected-in-eset-protect-web-console

• ESET Staff
11 hours ago, Ondrej said:

Where can I privately send C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Logs\trace.log and latest C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Dumps\Local\*.dmp files, please?

Feel free to send me those via private message. I would also recommend to open support ticket in the meantime, in case it will require more details to be provided. 

Hi Gonzalo, thanks for your tip, I followed KB7800 yesterday, but without success. It covers connection between DB and PROTECT and functionality of Tomcat webserver. I face issue with PROCECT service itself.

Hi Martin, unfortunately I am receiving error message "MartinK cannot receive messages." - can you please advice different method? 

One more update: I just check another or our customers and I can see same issue is also there.

Environment: Windows Server 2016 (build 1607) + MS SQL 2014 + PROTECT 8.1.1223.0

Both customers are isolated and all components are on different versions - Windows Update might be the clue?

Edited by Ondrej

• ESET Support
  • Solution

Dear Ondrej,

you are most probably affected by the issue related to the "Translator" module. The solution might be repair of the PROTECT server.

you can fix it by reverting to the previous build of the Translator module - this can be done by stopping the PROTECT/ESMC Server(I believe this is already done), create a backup of the following files/folder:

Windows:

C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Modules\em017_64\

Remove all folders/files which are in the following path(in case of Windows):

"C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Modules\em017_64\"

Execute the repair of the PROTECT server - it should re-create the "Translator" module file from the installation archive(it will be an older version of the Translator module which comes with the installers/is built in the installer)

For MS Windows just execute the MSI installer which can be found at "C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\SetupData\Installer" and pick repair installation(you will be asked for DB credentials...) but please do not generate a new certificate, let them use the old ones(keep currently used certificates)

image.png.0f5f35ba57240b969d3c28277003016d.png

When the installation will be done, the server should be able again to start...