YEARS Of Eset Internet Security, will I have to move on? HELP APPRECIATED!

Go to solution Solved by peteyt,

From what I gathered this new spyware update (windows 10 20h2 or whatever) will cause eset problems requiring you to do things which of course can always cause issues but prayerfully not.. Also my main hatred of this is I have to set my Windows 10 to update immediately! Their updates are already filled with bugs and the official release is a beta. Its why I and MANY MANY others, like to delay the update as long as possible, to give it more time for the updates bugs to be fixed somewhat if at all. I forget how long did it take them to fix the windows search bar around a year? I was able to hold off updating until they patched it sadly. Anyway about a year. Also who knows what other bloatware, spyware and settings you will have to go back and change IF YOU EVEN CAN ANYMORE. Also I hear this is just one of a string of updates and more fun to come 2021.. What do you all think having to update instantly and is it just the main update or ALL OF THEM? And who knows if an update will cause serious issues to eset. Which another fun thing having to do all those things to Uninstaller before updating among other things. Im on the latest 14 but haven't update to spyware 20h2 yet... My second thought is Kaspesky  which I hear great things. Any opinions on it Norton? I know asking on a eset forum lol.... Norton 360 is a HUGE NO, as it has great advertisement but its trash. Or Webroot Secure Anywhere whatever best version is and Malwarebytes (maybe premium or just keep free). Very last option is Bitdefender but i just list it cause.. there is no way... Also aren't some features not working with EIS OR EPS or both?

Thank you for reading. Please help.

I have Eset on recurring btw on * doesnt matter. But I have NO IDEA how to log onto forum which I think I already created one.

I really want to stay, so your loyal customer,

Thanks

• Administrators

Since this is an official ESET forum, A vs B topics are not permitted. If you have a question regarding ESET products, feel free to ask.

• Most Valued Members

I also don't understand your question. If your issue is with windows changing your AV will not change anything. What issue do you have with eset?

17 hours ago, peteyt said:

I also don't understand your question. If your issue is with windows changing your AV will not change anything. What issue do you have with eset?

Oh sorry Marcos my bad won't happen again.. Can you help? Also please don't delete my post and please help @peteyt Im asking will I have to update instantly each time an update rolls out? Like you know how you can delay windows 10 updates for a while an let the bugs gets sorted? Will I still be able to do that? Or will I have to go to settings and put everything or main updates to update early?

Edited by Prayer1

There is no direct correlation between Eset and Windows Updates. An exception would be for Win 7 where specific updates must be installed since Microsoft no longer supports SHA1.

This is not to say that some Win Update could bork Eset but the likelihood is extremely remote based on past history.

Most of the Eset new release issues arise due to some Win configuration on select devices. These are usually the result of either intended or non-intended user OS or app setting changes from default values.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Prayer1 said:

Oh sorry Marcos my bad won't happen again.. Can you help? Also please don't delete my post and please help @peteyt Im asking will I have to update instantly each time an update rolls out? Like you know how you can delay windows 10 updates for a while an let the bugs gets sorted? Will I still be able to do that? Or will I have to go to settings and put everything or main updates to update early?

As mentioned the question doesn't make sense in relation to windows 10. Some updates on Windows 10 you can postpone but moving to a different AV will not change it.

The only issue might be occasionally eset has to update stuff when a new Windows 10 version comes out e.g. to fix any compatibility issues but would persume if there are big changes to Windows with the update each AV will be in the same boat 

40 minutes ago, peteyt said:

As mentioned the question doesn't make sense in relation to windows 10. Some updates on Windows 10 you can postpone but moving to a different AV will not change it.

The only issue might be occasionally eset has to update stuff when a new Windows 10 version comes out e.g. to fix any compatibility issues but would persume if there are big changes to Windows with the update each AV will be in the same boat 

Thanks for your time and help. The question does make sense but I'm probably not wording it right to you english speakers. Will it be the same as before basically? Just few changes. I have MS 10 Home. Installed on 12/1/2020, 19041.685 OS BUILD. Its a laptop spectra touch screen and it sucks so far. 476GB with 64.5GB USED already when all I've done is instal firefox. 16GB RAM, Its a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15 T I core i7. And ya obviously changing av isn't going to change MS 10's forcing you to update athest at some point. I was pretty sure saw that we would ALWAYS NEED TO update the second its available. Like, change your update settings to update whenever and automatically when new updates arrive.

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, Prayer1 said:

Thanks for your time and help. The question does make sense but I'm probably not wording it right to you english speakers. Will it be the same as before basically? Just few changes. I have MS 10 Home. Installed on 12/1/2020, 19041.685 OS BUILD. Its a laptop spectra touch screen and it sucks so far. 476GB with 64.5GB USED already when all I've done is instal firefox. 16GB RAM, Its a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15 T I core i7. And ya obviously changing av isn't going to change MS 10's forcing you to update athest at some point. I was pretty sure saw that we would ALWAYS NEED TO update the second its available. Like, change your update settings to update whenever and automatically when new updates arrive.

Your question would probably be best asked on the MS forums as this is a Microsoft question and not eset

Already been there done that. Basically said to ask you. Hmm oh well. No help at all.

Thanks for your time. I guess I'll look else where.

Have a good day :)

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Prayer1 said:

Already been there done that. Basically said to ask you. Hmm oh well. No help at all.

Thanks for your time. I guess I'll look else where.

Have a good day :)

I think something has got lost in translation. Why would Microsoft say to ask eset about Windows 10 updates. Have the updates effected eset or something as I'm struggling to see the relation sorry

• ESET Insiders

Are you talking about ESET informing you about missing OS updates? IF so - ESET will only inform you about them and won't install them on it's own.

12 hours ago, JozefG said:

@Prayer1 Which version of ESET product do you have installed?

Are you asking about postponing ESET updates to newest product version?

No, postponing MS 10 updates. Im on the newest update for EIS. I just don't want to have to update instantly when a MS 10 update rolls out. Like right now I have 20h2 delayed till the 23rd.

7 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Are you talking about ESET informing you about missing OS updates? IF so - ESET will only inform you about them and won't install them on it's own.

No I'm talking MS 10. I like to wait as long as possible before updating as to give more time for the bugs to be fixed etc. Like I delayed it to January 23 2021.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Prayer1 said:

No I'm talking MS 10. I like to wait as long as possible before updating as to give more time for the bugs to be fixed etc. Like I delayed it to January 23 2021.

Again then this is an MD thing. Do you have the post you made on Microsoft as they shouldn't be sending you here as eset has nothing to do with it.

I think I did say previously eset will often release updates if there are any compatibility issues but these updates will work with older versions of Windows 10

So exactly what is the problem?

As @peteytposted, Eset is compatible with all supported Win 10 versions. As such, you can delay Win 10 updates as long as you wish.

Eset gets its Win 10 update status information from the Microsoft web site catalog. If Eset's notification that Win 10 updates are available is the issue, you can disable that notification in Eset GUI User Notifications section.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, peteyt said:

I think something has got lost in translation. Why would Microsoft say to ask eset about Windows 10 updates. Have the updates effected eset or something as I'm struggling to see the relation sorry

Maybe but ya good luck finding a support number with a human or even robotic help. The forum admins and moderators are horrible. So basically it was a not our problem gist and just pointing the finger.

17 hours ago, itman said:

So exactly what is the problem?

As @peteytposted, Eset is compatible with all supported Win 10 versions. As such, you can delay Win 10 updates as long as you wish.

Eset gets its Win 10 update status information from the Microsoft web site catalog. If Eset's notification that Win 10 updates are available is the issue, you can disable that notification in Eset GUI User Notifications section.

Ugh you should learn Russian. Its a smooth language an no crazy rules like other languages like English. Also for example how it sounds is how IT IS SPELLED and how it is spelled is how IT IS PRONOUNCED. Anyway must be language barrier because this confused me and gave me impression I have to be up to date on the dot for MS10 an change the settings for updates to be automatic and as soon as released..I can't remember exactly where I saw it but its in this area. https://support-eol.eset.com/en/

Also if this is a misunderstanding is there anyway I can add number of devices without re buying the entire thing? Also instead of renewing which I hope it hasn't yet, is it better to cancel then do the deal their offering this time of year. Also is that password and image encryption worth it?

5 hours ago, Prayer1 said:

gave me impression I have to be up to date on the dot for MS10 an change the settings for updates to be automatic and as soon as released..I can't remember exactly where I saw it but its in this area. https://support-eol.eset.com/en/

I believe you are referring to what is stated here: https://support-eol.eset.com/en/trending_win_10.html .

Simply put, it states that older versions of Eset might not be compatible with Win 10 starting in the first half of 2021 due to changes Microsoft is making to Win Update processing. As far as existing Eset home products goes, this applies to any Eset versions older that 13.2. Also if you are currently running an Eset version this applies to, you should already be receiving Eset alerts to upgrade your existing Eset version.

I also suspect that these Microsoft Win Update changes will be applicable to any Win 10 version that is currently supported.

is there anyway I can add number of devices without re buying the entire thing?

Contact Eset North America: https://www.eset.com/us/about/contact/ about adding new seats to your existing license.

Also is that password and image encryption worth it?

That is only offered in Smart Security version. It's up to you to decide if they are of value to you.

17 hours ago, itman said:

Contact Eset North America: https://www.eset.com/us/about/contact/ about adding new seats to your existing license.

That is only offered in Smart Security version. It's up to you to decide if they are of value to you.

Thanks for you for your help. Just an interpretation it seems..?

On 12/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, itman said:

What about doing the ESET INTERNET SECURITY DEAL AND ADDING SEAT WILL I BE CHARGED DOUBLE. I mean obviously I'm already charged for June's of last year but will it charge me again if I do eset deal? Eh instead of saving 10$ id be paying more and causing more of a headache so I guess just add seats which will it be 10$ per set still? Also I thout premium allowed your to encrypt folders or pass lock? Not just this encrypt an image which I can do with pgp.....

10 minutes ago, Prayer1 said:

Also I thout premium allowed your to encrypt folders or pass lock?

Yes. You can create encrypted folders on an USB drive. Locally, you can create an encrypted virtual drive.

Ref.: https://help.eset.com/essp/14/en-US/idh_page_utilities.html?enc_getting_started.html

Edited by itman

22 minutes ago, itman said:

Yes. You can create encrypted folders on an USB drive. Locally, you can create an encrypted virtual drive.

Ref.: https://help.eset.com/essp/14/en-US/idh_page_utilities.html?enc_getting_started.html

This is what im talking about.. Having windows automatically get updates. I get for this one you need to update your eset and Windows to 20h2. By what date do you need to do this because my eset is fully up to date but would like to wait as long as possible to update to 20h2. The deadline spring 2021 which is March 20th. Will this be like this every update? I know its impossible to tell but you know like a big deal...?

20201228_180711.jpg

20201228_180929.jpg

Obviously don't mind at all updating my eset but my windows 10 I have a problem with. But I have till late February to update my windows to 20h2. And yes my eset is always up to date.