WMI provider crash

Hi, I'm also seeing WMI related crash whenever a WMI scan is done. The first one was during the initial scan and the next two are from custom scan. This is a freshly installed version of ESET 14. No other AV was installed before this except Windows Defender of course.

z.thumb.PNG.5e7b189a2e7b1d00a51ff55932d80c2a.PNG

Just ran an on-demand scan of WMI only with Eset IS 14.0.21 on Win 10 2004. Scan completed successfully w/o any like Reliability Monitor errors. 

What I do see in your Reliability Monitor screen shot is a definition update for Windows Defender. Unless you have manually enabled WD periodic scanning option, this definition update would be indicative of Windows Security Center not being properly initialized; i.e. both WD and Eset firewall plus real-time protection are running concurrently.

Edited by itman

8 minutes ago, itman said:

Just ran an on-demand scan of WMI only with Eset IS 14.0.21 on Win 10 2004. Scan completed successfully w/o any like Reliability Monitor errors. 

What I do see in your Reliability Monitor screen shot is a definition update for Windows Defender. Unless you have manually enabled WD periodic scanning option, this definition update would be indicative of Windows Security Center not being properly initialized; i.e. both WD and Eset firewall plus real-time protection are running concurrently.

No that one was before ESET was active as an AV. As you can see, the timestamp of ESET installation and that definition update is the same. WD probably automatically updated itself when ESET was installed. After installing it took ESET more than 5 minutes to download the required modules and then to be activated. Before that WD remains active as the main AV. After that WD has been disabled automatically by ESET. Security center integration is fine and periodic scan is disabled.  

6 minutes ago, itman said:

Did you reboot the device after Eset was installed? Did the WMI errors persist after the reboot?

I just did and then scanned WMI only after you asked and again there's an error in reliability history.

Now I'm having random CPU usage issue with WMI Provider Host. Sorry, can't provide anymore feedback on this. I just uninstalled ESET and this problem is gone immediately. 

z.PNG.0e0d8af63e81720c1beafe79c7c83853.PNG

I just remembered that I have always had WMI errors showing in the Win associated event log.

So I checked that and sure enough I have the same error/s showing per the below screen shot. However, none of these show in the Reliability Monitor. Also these anti-virus log entries have always existed since I have been running Win 10 as best as I can recollect.

Eset_WMI.thumb.png.c6d5dc58568cb2278767e317a2d4769b.png

3 minutes ago, itman said:

I just remembered that I have always had WMI errors showing in the Win associated event log.

So I checked that and sure enough I have the same error/s showing per the below screen shot. However, none of these show in the Reliability Monitor. Also these anti-virus log entries have always existed since I have been running Win 10 as best as I can recollect.

Eset_WMI.thumb.png.c6d5dc58568cb2278767e317a2d4769b.png

I also have this now but all are associated with todays date. So, maybe it means it only started after ESET was installed.

23 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

Now I'm having random CPU usage issue with WMI Provider Host. Sorry, can't provide anymore feedback on this. I just uninstalled ESET and this problem is gone immediately. 

z.PNG.0e0d8af63e81720c1beafe79c7c83853.PNG

Not on my device:

WMI_Power.thumb.png.6346451e974e082883d9f98fc204c0fb.png

Open Win 10 System Information -> Window Error Reporting. This will show all crashes since the last Feature Upgrade was installed.

I have zip wmiprvse.exe crashes. But a slew of dllhost.exe crashes. These have stopped for about a month now. Believe this was because I did the the following:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /scannow

I will say this. It appears something is borked with WMI at boot time on my Win 10 2004 build. I have pages of WMI errors at boot time and those were not there previously. After boot time, there are just a few errors here and there which is normal.

-EDIT- Found the reason for all the WMI errors in the event log. It was not related to system boot activities. These errors all occurred when I ran a on-demand WMI scan! Eset definitely has to shutdown this scan option!

Edited by itman

9 hours ago, itman said:

I will say this. It appears something is borked with WMI at boot time on my Win 10 2004 build. I have pages of WMI errors at boot time and those were not there previously. After boot time, there are just a few errors here and there which is normal.

-EDIT- Found the reason for all the WMI errors in the event log. It was not related to system boot activities. These errors all occurred when I ran a on-demand WMI scan! Eset definitely has to shutdown this scan option!

Good to see you found a logical explanation. Now ESET needs to react and fix it soon. It's been almost 5 months now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

yes the development team analyzed the issue and it seems that the issue seems to be caused by lazy garbage collection. The handles remain open until there is a serious shortage of them and as WMI scanning opens new handles continuously garbage collection seems to release them not fast enough...

Peter

Tracking note for us: P_ESSW-10901

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

yes the development team analyzed the issue and it seems that the issue seems to be caused by lazy garbage collection. The handles remain open until there is a serious shortage of them and as WMI scanning opens new handles continuously garbage collection seems to release them not fast enough...

Peter

so this means it's something that will be fixed in a future product update or it's a OS bug?

On 11/6/2020 at 4:21 AM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

Peter

Not convinced with this explanation. I see WMI errors resulting from Eset system startup WMI scanning of a few select areas. Appears even a single access causes an error.