Latest update causes eset_proxy to flip out

Pythic

I'm running 6.8.1.0 on MacOS 10.14.6 and once in a while I notice that the eset_proxy is using 100% cpu. All the internet (browser) is blocked then. The only way to get it going again is to force quit the eset_proxy process. I never had any issues, but since last update this occurs. Please advice, is this a known issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue since about 2 weeks. I have transferted my account from Sierra MacBook Pro to new TouchBar MacBook Pro with Mojave. eset_proxy is using 100% CPU and no browser or mail software works. Try to uninstall / install ESET Cyber Security, seems work during several days and issue again. Killing eset_process is working during couple of minutes and need to kill it again regulary.  

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- make sure that you have the latest version of ESET CyberSecurity installed
- use ESET Log Collector as per https://support.eset.com/kb3404/ to gather logs while reproducing the issue
- raise a support ticket with your local customer care and provide them with the archive generated by the log collector tool.

I have the same problem. Eset tells me that I am supposed to have some webservice software running (which I am not aware of), but they couldn't find the exact title of the software, so I am back to square one. This does render eset security useless to me as I cannot work with my mac any longer. macos 10.14.6 it happened two weeks ago when the new eset update was installed. It might also have something to do with the new safari update that was pushed shortly after that. All the other software has remained the same since then.

• Administrators

When esets_proxy is heavily utilizing the CPU, select esets_proxy on the CPU tab in Activity Monitor. From the menu choose Sample process and Save as. Please provide the file along with ESET Log Collector logs to customer care. You can also upload the files here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
44 minutes ago, qu4q said:

Same problem at Eset Endpoint Antyvirus (6.8.2) Any solution? 

Please carry on as follows:
- use ESET Log Collector as per https://support.eset.com/kb3404/ to gather logs while reproducing the issue
- raise a support ticket with your local customer care and provide them with the archive generated by the log collector tool.

I have opened a case with our local customer care and provided the requested logs, but they didn't find the root cause of the problem. I was provided with the beta version 6.8.400.0 and issue still occurred there.

Edit: Provided logs

esets_proxy log level has been set to verbosity level = 8

Sample of esets_proxy.txt customer_info.zip

Edited by Camilo Diaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have also this issue, running MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 beta and Eset 6.8.300, and I'm quite sure it was present in 6.8.1.0 as well - but worse in 6.8.300.

I kind of suspect that this causes Finder beachballing and beeing sluggish as well, anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Best Regards

Tommy V

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

I opened a ticket with the dev team to check the logs provided by @Camilo Diaz

In case you have the logs (as described by Marcos), or are willing to record them feel free to provide me with them so I can have them checked...

Regards, Peter

I also have this issue. My Mac uses OS 10.14.6 and ESET Cyber Security version 6.8.300. If I look at my activity log I see that under the CPU column Esets_Proxy is using > 195% of the CPU. The next file in the list uses approx 8%....I was wondering why my MAC seems to have slowed down recently and have issues with opening/closing Office app's, browsing , etc. Is there a fix for this issue please ?

Kind regards

Edited by Terence

After raising the email on this topic I uninstalled the AV app, downloaded the 6.8.300 file again from the ESET website and installed it again. Result.... ESET_proxy was now using between 0.1 and 0.4% of the CPU %. This has remained the same until today when I carried out a customer scan using the app's preset values...result ESET_proxy now back to using 197.1% of CPU and continues to be so even though I have stopped the scan. So...repeated the uninstall/install of the AV app as above, result...Eset_proxy now back to 0.1 and 0.4%. Does this shed any light on the source of the problem ?

I haven't taken much notice of eset_proxy process, but after the last update ( currently running Version: 6.8.300.0 ) My web browsers will randomly stop working. They "hang" on "establishing secure connection". I have 443 added to the port list, but I've tried with and without it. 

When I DISABLE "Web access protection" everything comes back to life.

When the issue occurs it blocks Safari, Chrome and Opera all are the latest versions. This started happening with Mojave, and I thought it could have been that so I updated to Catalina and the issue persists.

I have no way of knowing what "Web Access Protection" is doing or "why" it's blocking as there is no realtime view or feedback into this module/option, but when it's disabled all works, and when 443 is not included in the list secure sites work. 

This has been working flawlessly since 2015 and I've been using ESET way longer than that. 1st time I've ever had an issue. I thought it was an OSX issue so have been bashing my head trying to research that angle, but I can say the issue only happens when "Web Access Protection" is turned on, and "something" happens and it starts to block. 

I'm going to re-install eset, I've turned logging on, I'm also going to try and disable "Enable HTTP protocol checking" until I have some feedback from ESET as it's impacting productivity.

I've attached 2 files where I see some errors which don't look right.

events.png

eventlog.txt.png

I tried with and without it. Please note I have run the EXACT same config for over 5 years...so it's not like I changed anything that hadn't been there before. 

I have distilled it down to: When "Enable HTTP protocol Checking" is enabled the issue exists at random. When this option is DISABLE the issue no longer happens. Since this IS the option causing the issue I have left "Enable web access Antivirus and antispyware protection" ENABLED and the system runs perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I have been using ESET since I can't remember and it is the first time that I am having any trouble. Same problem as theali3n. It seems that the Web Access Protection function is somehow blocking the access to the Internet. As soon as I disable it, everything is back to normal. I am attaching a sample from the Activity Monitor. Please help. Thank you.

Sample of esets_proxy.txt

• Administrators
1 hour ago, canaima said:

I have been using ESET since I can't remember and it is the first time that I am having any trouble. Same problem as theali3n. It seems that the Web Access Protection function is somehow blocking the access to the Internet. As soon as I disable it, everything is back to normal. I am attaching a sample from the Activity Monitor. Please help. Thank you.

Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor and provide logs collected as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404-use-eset-logcollector-on-macos-and-send-the-logs-to-eset-technical-support

Any resolution?

Same issue here - esets_proxy  process is constantly saturating 2 CPU cores, no 443 port in list of HTTP port.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, chipiik said:

Same issue here - esets_proxy  process is constantly saturating 2 CPU cores, no 443 port in list of HTTP port.

Please refer to my post above and raise a support ticket with your local customer care since the root cause in your case could be different than in the case of some other users.