Latest update causes eset_proxy to flip out

Pythic

On 1/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, theali3n said:

I tried with and without it. Please note I have run the EXACT same config for over 5 years...so it's not like I changed anything that hadn't been there before. 

I have distilled it down to: When "Enable HTTP protocol Checking" is enabled the issue exists at random. When this option is DISABLE the issue no longer happens. Since this IS the option causing the issue I have left "Enable web access Antivirus and antispyware protection" ENABLED and the system runs perfectly.

Thanks this fixed my problem

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, theali3n said:

Still happening to me. Any update from the tickets that have been opened @Marcos ?

What is your ticket ID so that I can check the status of your ticket?

I have some information. I contacted Eseta premium support. After many e-mails and trying to find out what causes these problems, they have provided me with the latest beta for ESET Endpoint Antyvirus which will soon appear in public. At the moment, I can say that for each person whose problem occurred in the new version did not happen even once. It seems that at the time when Apple announced that Catalina will not work with 32-bit programs they hastily prepared "any" version to work with it and finally the version that will appear is improved and well prepared. Also works much more efficiently (smoother?) than the current one.

Cheers. Hope that new version of home edition also will be free of that problem :)

27 minutes ago, qu4q said:

I have some information. I contacted Eseta premium support. After many e-mails and trying to find out what causes these problems, they have provided me with the latest beta for ESET Endpoint Antyvirus which will soon appear in public. At the moment, I can say that for each person whose problem occurred in the new version did not happen even once. It seems that at the time when Apple announced that Catalina will not work with 32-bit programs they hastily prepared "any" version to work with it and finally the version that will appear is improved and well prepared. Also works much more efficiently (smoother?) than the current one.

Cheers. Hope that new version of home edition also will be free of that problem :)

qu4q,

Can you let us know what your version number is ? 

I have 6.8.300.0 which should be latest public.

The lastest public is: 6.8.400.0
Version that I had the opportunity to test: 6.8.633.0

Edited by qu4q

Perhaps because we have a different product ? I have the "Eset Cyber Security" all is set to auto and I have 6.8.300.0.

Did Eset manually give you access to that 6.8.633.0 build ? 

As I mentioned earlier, my statement was about "Eset Endpoint Antyvirus" because the problem has affected me in this version. It is "parallel" to Eset Cyber Security, but for business solutions, so I deduced that since it looks like the business version problem disappeared in beta, which should be available to everyone soon, the same will be with version for home users. That's why I wrote this comment.

And of course, version numbers for home and business products can be different but it's still worth waiting for the update release and check if the problem disappeared.

Edited by qu4q

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, Marcos said:

From the menu choose Sample process and Save as.

Hi, @Marcos. There is also something like Spindump. Would it be more effective to make this one?

This evening I also found esets_proxy hanging on with 200% CPU usage.

Usually this MacBook goes crazy if this happens so I could take a closer look at it if this would happen again.

Thank you.

• Administrators

If v6.8.455 downloadable from https://forum.eset.com/files/file/23-eset_cybersecurity_en_10dmg/ doesn't make any difference, please raise a support ticket with your local ESET distributor. It is essential to provide logs collected as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404-use-eset-logcollector-on-macos-and-send-the-logs-to-eset-technical-support.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), processor 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, macOS 10.15.4 (19E287), ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Issue made working with laptop impossible even unable to upload any data, beta v6.8.455 crashed on me two times. Uninstalled ESET NOD32 Antivirus. Installed alternative, see if issue gets solved within the free trial period of the other product 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I have observed this issue frequently and began to notice that it coincides with large downloads. Within web access protection, I changed the maximum size and scan time limits for the threatsense engine so that would not scan large objects. I randomly chose 50MB and 120 seconds for object scan limits and 10 levels and 50MB for archive scan limits, both of which seemed reasonable.

Thus far I haven't seen the problem return.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am (was) running Cyber Security Pro 6.8.300 on El Capitan 10.11.6 (by choice), and looks like I'm kind of stuck with it since 6.9.x no longer supports El Capitan.

I was having the same issues with esets_proxy, sometimes spiking to above 100%, sometimes 200%, even 300%. The fan kept blowing. At first I thought it was my own fault because I use Chrome with way too many tabs, but that's how it is. But when i'd kill Chrome and any other open app, the fan would quiet down... but esets_proxy would remain fixed at a high number.

The impression it gave me was that there was something wrong with the high CPU utilization %. I don't believe the high spikes, I think there is something wrong with these figures, as if they would just accumulate on and on. The only way to get it back to normal was to kill esets_proxy.

I have now installed version 6.8.455 mentioned by Marcos higher up. Looking forward to see if the situation improves. Been a day now, and all is still running fine.

We have experienced the same issue again, eset_proxy process consuming 100% CPU and blocking somehow the network on the affected devices. Running Eset Endpoint Security 6.90.0. All affected devices are running macOS 10.14 (Mojave). Have reported it to ESET so hopefully we'll get an answer soon. Thinking to upgrade to 6.90.3 but not sure if it will make any difference at this stage.

I met on the internet that someone entered "443" port here which is dedicated for HTTPS connections and on MacOS this filter as the name suggests only filters HTTP so this also caused problems with eset_proxy (blocking/overloading).

Przechwytywanie.JPG

• ESET Moderators
12 hours ago, Camilo Diaz said:

We have experienced the same issue again, eset_proxy process consuming 100% CPU and blocking somehow the network on the affected devices. Running Eset Endpoint Security 6.90.0. All affected devices are running macOS 10.14 (Mojave). Have reported it to ESET so hopefully we'll get an answer soon. Thinking to upgrade to 6.90.3 but not sure if it will make any difference at this stage.

@Camilo Diaz

Sad to hear that, hopefully we will be able to resolve it with you.

Thank you for the provided log files.

From it it seems that the logs were collected, when the issue was not happening.

In case you encounter the issue again please:

1. collect the logs when the issue occurs 

2. record Sample of the esets_proxy during the load 

3. Provide us with info, when the issue happens, if you are able to say that 

4. How often do you face the issue 

Send me the logs / responses via the private message and I will open a ticket with our dev team to have it checked.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having the same issue with Eset Cyber Security 6.8.300.0 caused by the esets_proxy process hanging / using 190-300% CPU and causing most applications like Excel, Word, 1Password and so on to launch in 60+ seconds!

This week my Windows 10 VM running under VMware Fusion 11.5.5 hanged twice completely along with the entire MacBook Pro system, if can believe this! Running Catalina 10.15.6 here on a MacBook Pro 2018. 

I tried to open a support ticket, but I did not receive any e-mail confirmation after sending the info.

I have attached here the info collected with the Log Collector and also the esets_proxy proces sample file.

customer_info.zip Sample of esets_proxy.txt

Edited by Mihnea
Added eset version

52 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Just in case, did you check the spam folder in case the confirmation email was incorrectly evaluated as spam?

Sure I did, thanks anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 8:38 PM, erratic said:

Hello,

I am (was) running Cyber Security Pro 6.8.300 on El Capitan 10.11.6 (by choice), and looks like I'm kind of stuck with it since 6.9.x no longer supports El Capitan.

I was having the same issues with esets_proxy, sometimes spiking to above 100%, sometimes 200%, even 300%. The fan kept blowing. At first I thought it was my own fault because I use Chrome with way too many tabs, but that's how it is. But when i'd kill Chrome and any other open app, the fan would quiet down... but esets_proxy would remain fixed at a high number.

The impression it gave me was that there was something wrong with the high CPU utilization %. I don't believe the high spikes, I think there is something wrong with these figures, as if they would just accumulate on and on. The only way to get it back to normal was to kill esets_proxy.

I have now installed version 6.8.455 mentioned by Marcos higher up. Looking forward to see if the situation improves. Been a day now, and all is still running fine.

A month after installing 6.8.455, and the issue mentioned above still has not manifest itself.
Seems to have solved the problem for me.

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Also regularly have the same problem with MACOS 10.14.6 and ESET Cyber security 6.8.300. I have noticed that this happened after the MAC has been suspended several times . I didn't try disabling web access protection but when this is happening (randomly) the only way to stop ESET using all CPU is to reboot. Then it works fine again , until next time.

I will then try to save the log and process activity next time it happens