End of Support Win 7

TomFace

With the end of support for Windows 7 coming in January 2020 (see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information?icid=CXSMC_win7upgrade )

I'm not sure what I will do. Maybe buy a Mac, change my OS (Linux?:unsure:) or something else.

From what I've been seeing about Win X, I don't think I want to go there.  So I am asking you Win 7 users what are your plans.   

Your input and opinions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

The scare stories about windows 10 are exaggerated. It's a far more secure version of the o/s than previous versions. Like every release of windows, the driver support was poor at the start but its been out so long now that these issues are all overcome.

The installer in the new builds now gives you the option to disable all the things that people complained about on it's release (telemetry) :).

It's been a great o/s from my point of view and never had any issues whatsoever :)

I have to agree - Win 10 is much more a secure OS; especially with newer PC hardware.

There are a number of third party software that can "harness" Win 10 telemetry. I use O&O ShutUp10 for example.

Macs or Linux OS are being attacked as much as Windows OSes currently. So the perception they are more secure is pretty much a myth.

Perhaps you can find a Win 8.1 license, but that too will end in the near future.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

Windows 10 isn't bad actually , it's good and also I find it stable , but when I don't need things that force me to use Windows

I do stick to Linux , I find Linux more comfortable to use and has more tools over here and there for all things that I need.

Updates are far more easier to get and faster to install , especially when you go with the LTS version you don't have to worry to keep upgrading every few months and things start to break like what happens with Windows most of the times,  I don't know that's my opinion.

Edited by Rami

• Most Valued Members

Like many have said Windows 10 isn't as bad as a lot of people think. I feel like it takes the best of 7 and 8 and combines them. Also MS is making it easier to pause updates in the May update I believe which has been one of peoples main criticisms.

A lot of people aren't keen on the amount of updates but I'm actually a fan. I always found in the past MS was playing catch up often spending ages on the next OS that by the time it was released it was behind so I like that it is constantly adding stuff although some stuff should maybe be optional.