Did I install version 12 the correct way ?

Before the announcement, I checked 'update' and version 12 was offered as a product or program update.

I did not see the the elaborate https://support.eset.com/kb2476/

message mentioning an end-user license agreement. For as far as I know.

12.0.27.0 I probably should be fine ?

oh well ... I did not uninstall the old product and reinstall the new one. Should I ? The KB article suggests I should

Edited by esset

Honestly, I think it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. In the past I have done a "clean install". This time I chose to do an overlay (and my OCD is OK with that:P). If an overlay is not an acceptable method, why would ESET offer it through the update screen in the GUI? 

Maybe a Moderator could interject some reasoning to do it one way or the other. I also know I can always start over if things are "not right" (and it won't be the end of the world:D).

I may die due to several things, but "analysis paralysis" will not be one of them;).

Regards,

Tom 

Edited by TomFace

@Marcos or anyone else in a position of authority,

Is a full uninstall and clean reinstall recommended ? I'm able to 'go back in time' and restore an old image.

• Administrators

Upgrade over an older version is fully supported and works so feel free use it. It's a more convenient way than install from scratch which would also reset the scan cache.

1 hour ago, esset said:

It appears to me that this KB article was written to instruct users how to perform a manual product upgrade versus using the upgrade processing built into Eset. In my opinion, the article should have explicitly stated this.

One reason why a manual upgrade would be advisable is if the Eset version currently installed is an older version. For example, version 10 is currently installed. And in reality all that is taking place is an uninstall of the existing Eset version and a new install of the last version. In other words, no "upgrade" per se is occurring. 

• ESET Moderators
1 hour ago, esset said:

Before the announcement, I checked 'update' and version 12 was offered as a product or program update.

message mentioning an end-user license agreement. For as far as I know.

12.0.27.0 I probably should be fine ?

oh well ... I did not uninstall the old product and reinstall the new one. Should I ? The KB article suggests I should

Clean install isn't necessarily recommended.

The Knowledgebase article is written for the 80/20 users that either find the KB because they are having a problem or that tech support directs users to -- performing the in-product upgrade is perfectly fine and works all the time. If you were to have a tech support agent do it for you and you didn't have any saved configs or anything, as Tom said, it's 6-half-dozen and doing it either way is acceptable. 

You can use the method described here to update/upgrade to latest version: https://support.eset.com/kb758/#version

I got the update to version 12.0.27.0 through overlay update module, so far working well, and think with this way you don't need to re-setup the program as well as no need to recognized/rename again the devices in your home network.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, HANDJOJO said:

I got the update to version 12.0.27.0 through overlay update module, so far working well, and think with this way you don't need to re-setup the program as well as no need to recognized/rename again the devices in your home network.

Indeed you receive the update through the update channel in ESET , your settings will migrate from 11 to 12.