AIO Package Installer is failing on 6.5 - v7 upgrade

Hi,

I've got one Windows Server 2012r2 that is failing in its upgrade from v6.5 to v.7.x. The problem seems to happen during the Management Agent portion of the install, and fails every time with the Error Code: MSI.8257588. The specialized cleaner doesn't work.

image.png.e1f1162f55eb5bc3012ede1bda116b28.png 

I've uninstalled everything, rebooted, and it still fails.

I've then removed all trace of the software using the ESET Safe Mode Uninstaller Tool, but still nothing. 

Has anyone else had this situation? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hi @johnnybon,

I've always found that when my deployment fails it is always a good first step to check the machine's event viewer logs.

They can sometimes give a good representation of what error has occurred and that can help in troubleshooting.

Regards,

Kieran

• Administrators

I would run the msi installer manually with the "/lvx* install.log" parameter while capturing operations with Process Monitor. If installation fails,  please provide:

1, Compressed Procmon log.
2, Install.log.
3, Logs gathered by ESET Log Collector.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

same error today on customer side, after a little research I found the solution!

The installed ESET AV product blocked the agent!
https://help.eset.com/era_install/65/en-US/component_installation_agent_windows_uninstall.html
"If there is an ESET endpoint product on the same machine, it will not be possible because of an enabled Self-Defense."

My solution
1. Uninstall the AV with appwiz.cpl
2. Uninstall the Agent with appwiz.cpl
3. Install the new Agent and AV

Best regards

Michael

17 hours ago, Michael_Loemm said:

Hi,

same error today on customer side, after a little research I found the solution!

The installed ESET AV product blocked the agent!
https://help.eset.com/era_install/65/en-US/component_installation_agent_windows_uninstall.html
"If there is an ESET endpoint product on the same machine, it will not be possible because of an enabled Self-Defense."

My solution
1. Uninstall the AV with appwiz.cpl
2. Uninstall the Agent with appwiz.cpl
3. Install the new Agent and AV

Best regards

Michael

I thought it'd be something like that, as if it's done through the console (ie agent upgrade followed by rollout from the repo) it works fine. Thanks for the investigation though

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
39 minutes ago, Delerium said:

its very unpleasant situation, i have to update 500+ servers, and on each of them i should to delete agent before upgrade?

What ESET product / version do you have currently installed on the servers?

Agent 6.5.522

ESET File security 6.4.12004.0

i removed the password from Agent policy, because  I thought it interferes to upgrade, but it did not help.

this problem exists when manually updating EES from 6.5 to 7, but if i use install task from ESMC, then there is no problem...

on servers i can't use tasks, only manual )

• ESET Staff

@Delerium Why you can´t use tasks for the upgrade of the Server product? Also, what happens when you not execute the AIO, but just the standalone MSI installation of the server product? What error it gives you? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

In case this issue persists, please try to re-download AIO installer, as we have targeted multiple upgrade issues in recent release. After re-download of AIO, new AGENT installer should be embedded into installer.

There should be no need to uninstall either AGENT or security product just to perform upgrade. Also there should be no need to disable password protection or self-defense mechanisms -> in case any of those resolves your issue, there is definitelly something not working properly and we would appreciate logs from previously failed attempts.

In case upgrade is not successful, I would recommend to collect or check logs in %temp%\eset\ directory on client machine. It will contain full verbosity installation logs of all components installed by AIO.