Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

• 2 weeks later...

Description: Missing device crypting 

Hi i want to suggest you to add a option in your smart security system to be able in case which your laptop is stolen to be able to crypt(with a private key) all the sensitive info or even the erase them ex. crypt(document folder, pictures, desktop folders) or to let us to choose(when installing or later) which files we want to be crypted and all of that to be accesible via the my.eset.com as we already have the option in case of our device is missing to lock all the users accounts but this is not enought protection...thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Thank you for ESET smart security 8

Please add a sandbox to ESET smart security

Best regards

While agree with sandbox, i think the protection from ESET is stronge enough to not require it.

The primary customer base however, does not want ESET to switch to the bulky app embedded software protection like most, and i would stress the importance of that in relation to sandbox. I would ask for a web browser sandbox only.

I think a sandbox as a stand-alone utility or something similar wouldn't be a bad idea.

Including the sandbox in ESS I think would require a large (internal) discussion before.

Please add a sandbox to ESET smart security

I wouldn't like to see sandbox added to ESS. The product would become too bloated. Some applications (Chrome...) already have their own sandbox so another sandbox from Av would be unnecessary. 

Edited by hqsec

Please include smart mode in firewall filtering mode which reduce pop-ups, example there is no need to ask user whether to block Windows own process eg. dashost, svghost......ect trying to connect to Akamai or Microsoft, or any other whitelisted apps from live grid, Norton has intelligent firewall. 

U can see PCMAG review about this too hxxp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2469995%2c00.asp

Please include smart mode in firewall filtering mode which reduce pop-ups, example there is no need to ask user whether to block Windows own process eg. dashost, svghost......ect trying to connect to Akamai or Microsoft, or any other whitelisted apps from live grid, Norton has intelligent firewall.

You already opend a topic about this, so I think it's good to link it here: Suggest to include firewall smart mode

I'd like to link to two other suggestion I gave in different posts:

Description: Increase the power of the protocol filtering by giving the possibility to block SSL v3 - and with that the so called Poodle Attack.

Detail: Recently there was found a new attack against the SSL (used for HTTPS e.g.) connection. This is the Poodle Attack.

It would be nice if ESET gives the possibility to block this attack with blocking SSL v3 communication. More information in this topic

Description: Add the possibility for two product upgrade channels so you can get a new version directly after it was released.

Detail: I understand the reasons why you don't release product upgrades via the built-in "updater" instantly, but there should be a optional setting where you can change this (similar to the pre-release-updates of the VSD). More information in this topic

"Add the possibility for two product upgrade channels so you can get a new version directly after it was released."

But anyone that wants new releases ASAP can already get them if they want, by just visiting the website.

Having a second update channel for those that are, well, let's call them lazy, and don't have time navigating to the website....hmmm sounds like unnecessary work for ESET to me. I mean ESET shouldn't need to serve new versions on a silver plate like that, my answer is  -> "if you want it NOW then come and get it!"

IMO, users that want to get their hands on a new version ASAP (before a PCU release) they already know where to find it.

And the users that choose to wait, I don't think they are interested in using a PR update channel for new versions even if it existed.

One reason why new versions is released as PCUs a bit later is because they go through some serious internal testing before they are pushed out to every customer. Because once they are pushed out to the customers there is no simple way of going back.

@hqsec

Good idea.

@SweX

Good arguments. However it would have been more useful if you would had posted this in the separate topic.

But I think the option is quite hidden, so already only the users who want get it ASAP find this option.

But it should be quite simple to implement and yes - maybe it's for the "lazy ones"... :D

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Please provide option for location of temp folder other than C:\Windows\Temp.  NOD32 writes a lot of temp files during full scan and it is bad for SSD.

There are tons of applications besides the operating system itself which write into that folder. You can redirect the system temporary folder by adjusting the system temp / tmp variables. As for user temporary folders, you'd need to redirect user profiles folder.

Personally I don't know anybody with SSD drives who would do that just to minimize writing to a SSD drive. I too use SSD in a notebook and 2 computers with default temp folder settings.

Please provide option for location of temp folder other than C:\Windows\Temp.  NOD32 writes a lot of temp files during full scan and it is bad for SSD.

There are tons of applications besides the operating system itself which write into that folder. You can redirect the system temporary folder by adjusting the system temp / tmp variables. As for user temporary folders, you'd need to redirect user profiles folder.

Personally I don't know anybody with SSD drives who would do that just to minimize writing to a SSD drive. I too use SSD in a notebook and 2 computers with default temp folder settings.

Although many applications write to the temp folders but I didn't find any of them (at least in my PC) writing big files.  I'm not sure if I got the correct figure (I got it from Task Manager), NOD32 writes tens of GB of temp files during my weekly full scan and that's quite significant.

I've already moved my temp folder to another drive but I just think it would be nice if NOD32 provides an option so that other applications will not be affected.

I haven't seen that ESET writes huge files in the temp folder (I haven't looked at that too). However you can change the variables or redirect the folder (if you're using Windows Vista or higher) with a cmd command:

mklink

(You have to run it as an administrator)

E.g.:

mklink /d C:\Windows\Temp D:\Windows\Temp 

More information: NTFS symbolic link

Edited by rugk

Hello,

Need some elaboration on this statement:

I've already moved my temp folder to another drive but I just think it would be nice if NOD32 provides an option so that other applications will not be affected.

I haven't seen that ESET writes huge files in the temp folder (I haven't looked at that too). However you can change the variables or redirect the folder (if you're using Windows Vista or higher) with a cmd command:

mklink

(You have to run it as an administrator)

E.g.:

mklink /d C:\Windows\Temp D:\Windows\Temp 

More information: NTFS symbolic link

NOD32 writes a lot of temp files named NODxxxx.tmp during full scan (not sure if it's about scanning archives).  You may view the activities using Resouce Monitor by checking "Write (B/sec)" under Disk Activity.

I've already redirected the temp folder to another drive.  However I modified the TEMP and TMP system environment variables instead.

Hello,

Need some elaboration on this statement:

I mean I've already redirected my temp folder to a non-SSD drive by modifying the system environment variables.  However, I think it would be nice if NOD32 provides an option for location of its own temp folder so that the system temp folder can stay in the SSD.

This is not essential as there is a workaround but it is a nice-to-have feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Description: Live Grid execution blocker unless file is known safe.

It is quite rare that I of all people post feature requests or in this case request added functionality to a feature we already have.

But it's something I have thought about before, several times actually, that I believe could be useful for basically all above average users, and users that know how to respond to a prompt once in a while, would be a function that is found in some other products and that works with file info from the cloud in this case Live Grid. I guess you could say it works like a cloud based whitelist.

In ESET that could be a function like, unless the file we execute is "green/known safe" in Live Grid we would be prompted with a "allow, block, quarantine" popup notification.   

That means nothing that is not known safe "green tagged" in Live Grid will not be allowed to execute without that we allow it first.

Of course this should be a function having a checkbox like everything else that users can enable and disable. And it should not be enabled by default for obvious reasons. 

P.S 

Not to mix this up with file reputation / how many users have this file similar to -> "only 5 users have this file are you sure you want to allow the file to execute?" 

That is NOT my idea, so even if only 1 user have this file and it is "green tagged" known safe in Live Grid it will be allowed to execute just fine.

Thank You.

This !