Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

• Administrators

I would like to see a function added to the "Advanced Options" Explorer right-click context menu to add a file to the exclusions list. It used to be when a threat was detected we were given check-box options which included adding an exclusion but that seems to be gone in version 7. Context menu exclude would be far more convenient than digging through the directory structure a second time from the NOD32 advanced setup menu.

It's still there. If a potentially unsafe or unwanted application is detected, you just unfold the advanced options and check the "Exclude from detection" box.

• Administrators

I'm curious, will the HIPS be any different in the next version?

V8 beta already has a Smart mode which will be a sort of interactive mode with prompt windows reduced to the bare minimum once finished as it's still being worked on.

Hello,

False alarms on a web site are a big deal. They affect:

• Whomever owns the web site.
  • Whomever visits the web site.
  • The credibility of the company which generated the the false positive alarm to begin with.
It has been my experience that people who visit web sites do not always know when a report of a problem is a false alarm or not. They might assume it is, and it turns out to be a legitimate report and they get infected. Or, they may contact the site operator or their anti-malware solutions provider, creating a support burden.

Just because eight, eighty or eight hundred anti-malware companies do something does not mean that ESET should follow them down the "me, too" path. ESET chooses to implement technologies when they provide a tangible benefit to the computing public.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

False alarms on web sites are no big deal. If you know the site is safe you can just click the continue button. Not the end of the world. Again if 8 antivirus companies that I listed then Eset can also do it. It is a simple browser add on you guys can make available in the Chrome App store. IT IS NOT DIRECTLY part of Eset. Gezzz. I give up.

False Positive are very important to be low. Eset work smart and almost has no false positive. Congratulations! Good Work!

What a discussion about an single idea of a browser add-on. But now it seems that this discussion is finished. But here is a tip how to check and improve your idea or suggestions.

If you suggest a new idea you should check your idea before. And for this you should e.g. ask yourself this questions:

1. How is it actually?
    Is it already implemented in some way? Would something be redundant?
  2. If already existing: What are the (dis)advantages of my idea?
    What's the difference of the actual state compared to the state in my idea? Are there also disadvantages? If so: Are the advantages "more" or "higher" than the disadvantages?
  3. How easy or difficult would it be to implement this idea? Is it really worth to do it?
    Would additional staff be required? Does implementing this idea this idea pays off? How easy is the maintenance of the idea? (one time implemented - finished?) How "much" is it concerned to antivirus/security?

I think this are three basically questions you should ask yourself before suggest an idea. If you go trough all with no problem then it's ok.

If you have problems then it don't automatically means that your idea is bad. Rethink your idea. Maybe it just needs some "improvements" or you should post your idea with a "..., but" to set limits to your idea. (e.g. "only if many users would like it", "only as a standalone program", "deactivated by default", ...)

I hope this is useful. And if you have some other ideas (e.g. for more questions) feel free to post it.

Edited by rugk

I love that everyone thinks that adding in a simple browser feature is rocket science. EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE. Obviously it's not that complicated. This has nothing to do with adding bloat to either one of Eset's products. It is a simple browser add on. Avast has been using it for years. Norton also. As I have previously said before any of you reply I suggest you try out these other products. I have. I actually have installed and ran just about everything out there. I am talking about a site advisor. That is it. Not a virtual keyboard. Not a banking mode. Not a password program. I am talking about something like WOT. That is it. But WOT is a joke based on users who do not like certain websites. If a website has been found to have malicious malware on it then it should be rated poorly. But most of WOT's opinions are not malware based. Toolbar installs are not malicious. All of you keep replying that Eset does not need such a feature. But again I am not talking about something added into Eset. I am talking about a simple browser add on available for those who want to use it in the Chrome or Firefox extension store. ABSOLUTELY FREE. Bitdefender offers traffic light FREE for everyone. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

I love that everyone thinks that adding in a simple browser feature is rocket science. EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE. Obviously it's not that complicated. This has nothing to do with adding bloat to either one of Eset's products. It is a simple browser add on. Avast has been using it for years. Norton also. As I have previously said before any of you reply I suggest you try out these other products. I have. I actually have installed and ran just about everything out there. I am talking about a site advisor. That is it. Not a virtual keyboard. Not a banking mode. Not a password program. I am talking about something like WOT. That is it. But WOT is a joke based on users who do not like certain websites. If a website has been found to have malicious malware on it then it should be rated poorly. But most of WOT's opinions are not malware based. Toolbar installs are not malicious. All of you keep replying that Eset does not need such a feature. But again I am not talking about something added into Eset. I am talking about a simple browser add on available for those who want to use it in the Chrome or Firefox extension store. ABSOLUTELY FREE. Bitdefender offers traffic light FREE for everyone. 

I will contact a few people from project management about the request, as well as a supervisor i have in my address book.

We will look into it. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Well said rugk.

Thanks.

@LabVIEW707

I love that everyone thinks that adding in a simple browser feature is rocket science. (...) Obviously it's not that complicated.

My post above was not especially related to this specific feedback, but have a look at this question at the third point:

How easy is the maintenance of the idea? (one time implemented - finished?)

Developing the add-on is one thing, but then there are more things:

• Running the servers for this
  • Updating the add-on for new browser versions if needed
  • Handle request for re-rating

And please also have a look at question 2. IMO this is what I don't understand.

And if you really want to continue the discussion then it also would be helpful to provide more detailed information about your idea. Should there be a  user-based rating or a malicious rating? Or what else should be used to display the status?

Thank you Arakasi for a respectable reply.     :D     I do not need a list of excuses rugk. If you look back I have already mentioned that 10 other top av companies have this feature. I have certain customers who would like this also. I do not like telling people to use WOT. Please members. Please stop arguing my request until you look into these other programs. Try them out and you will see what I mean. I repair computers. I make house calls for malware removal. When you do something like this then you need to familiarize yourself with every product out there. So you know what to recommend to your customers and what not to. Bitdefender and Kaspersky have a great detection rate. But they will slow any pc to a crawl and add on so many un-needed features. If someone wants something free I tell them to use Avast or Panda. If they want to spend some money I tell them Webroot or Eset. Most ISP's offer free security also. Comcast offers customers Norton Security suite. Which is a rebrannded version of Norton 360. But it comes with so many features most customers do not need or even know how to use. 

Edited by LabVIEW707

Thank you Arakasi for a respectable reply.     :D     I do not need a list of excuses rugk. If you look back I have already mentioned that 10 other top av companies have this feature. I have certain customers who would like this also. I do not like telling people to use WOT. 

Ehm... I'm quite sure that this was a joke of Arakasi.

And excuses... Where?

I didn't excused oneself and I also don't gave you any excuse, so I don't know what you mean...

If you look back I have already mentioned that 10 other top av companies have this feature.

And if I look back I feel that it was 1000 times said that ESET don't make something just because an other vendor has it.

Edit for your edit: I'm not interested to know what you do or what you recommend. And no I not familiarize with an useless add-on until it has a use that is better than the actually Web protection without add-on. That's why I said you should precise your suggestion, read my question 2 and say what the advantages are, but if you don't want then it's your decision.

Edited by rugk

We will look into it. Thanks for sharing. ;)

That's what he wanted to hear, problem solved. 

Good god can we end this discussion now. If not, then please just read the last 3 pages over and over...its all there nothing more to add.  :(

Edited by SweX

ESET need to add any more protection

Keyboard - Encrypt functionality we write to to prevent hackers from viewing what we walked to write a good encryptação become more secure our passwords, hence the eset make a tool that encrypts what we typed on the keyboard is all encrypted.

RootKit - ESET need to improve the detection of malware with rootkit .. Very malware uses rootkit to hide in the system, although detected in memory would be great .. something that becomes better detection of rootkits in the system, some inject the System Services and ESET ta not prepared to deal with it .. Even though they say yes, no not this one. I did own tests.

Safe System(It was good to add)ESET should add a tool called "Safe System" with this tool ESET analyze WHOLE PC demand Vulnerability Programs and Windows Updates .. And still should do more, such as check this.. ESET could check and correct if hackers were intended to disable any of these listed utilities.

MSConfig(It was good to add) -Many hackers, via remote access, attempt to disable options that are not discovered so disable some Windows functions such as priority would be MSCONFIG, since this tool it is possible to know which programs start with Windows .. and those who do not .

Regedit - Many hackers also disable regedit and msconfig because it is where the most advanced users are going to remove it once it installs itself in the Windows Registry the priority of Hackers is to disable anyone know who is infected ..

Task Manager(It was good to add- It may seem stupid, but many do it .. To give more work to newcomers and people who understand nothing of computer, disable the task manager to check the processes anyone.

CMD - It is widely used by hackers, but some also inactivate ..

File Extensions (BEST OPTION! It was good to add)I would say that this option is the best option for ESET add, when hackers want to try to avenge all the cost, corrupt the Windows extensions .. How so? Extensions like jpg, png, exe, jpeg, are corrumpidas by hackers ouvio Yes .. well .. Some of them even do it to provoke a corrumpção the system .. Soon these extensions stopped working correctly .. This is where ESET have to get that analyze program modifies or attempts corrumper extensions and send for analysis.

RAT detection - RAT means Remote Acess Tool, ESET need to improve the detection of the same, I'm not talking about the virus but FIREWALL .. Antivirus can even block the virus, but the firewall almost even detects an intruder in the system .. not even the warning .. It is ai that ESET has to improve .. If your antivirus does not detect .. the Connection Firewall analyzes and blocks the IP and the port in question .. This is what needs to improve the eset .. Firewall blocking trojans, keyloggers connections.

SafeBox - Basically it would be a chest, ESET analyzing the program to run and if he had not digital signature details like Name, Copyright .. If a program did not have that, ESET put this same executable, a safebox (sandbox) that everything we do in this program is analyzed by the program modifies ESET ESET continues to analyze something is like a LOG .. And if you notice strange behavior is sent to the cloud for analysis.

Malware Delayed - Many malware to evade proactive protection, using DELAY, yes .. Once the antivirus analyzes for example have one file to parse in 1 Minute .. found nothing, this virus has a delay of 2 minutes for booting the connection .. that is where many try to fool the antivirus, ESET should also be aware of it and get something to protect it.

Just some reply:

Keyboard: Use Windows osk.exe.

RootKit: secret tests... ok. A bit more specific would be good.

Safe System:

• Analyse PC: On Demand scan
  • missing Windows Updates: ESET products are already warning

Task Manager, CMD: Sorry this are the worst ideas I every heart. Disabling task manager?? :huh:

SafeBox: Sandbox was already discussed and your idea with non-signed files is not convertible in a meaningful way.

The only thing I can a bit agree is "File Extensions", but there also only for .exe. It can be used from maleware to prevent users from starting any exe. But ESET already has an .exe file association repair tool (point 2) free to download, so you can use this if you experience problems.

And I wonder from where you know what "many hackers do"...

Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Cookies are not malicious. While they may (or may not) represent privacy issues, they do not represent a threat to user security.

Malicious advertisements are blocked all the time.

If you want to block tracking, all ads, etc., I would suggest looking at what plugins are available for your web browser.

HIPS updates occur as part of the regular updating of modules used by ESET Smart Security.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

- Tracking cookies detection. I have never seen eset detecting malicious cookies.

- Anti banner protection module. Just to avoid annoying adds while browsing.

- Improvement to HIPS module and detection of zero days malware.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

ESET could improve its results in tests done by some testers by adding junk files that are damaged, non-executable, contain only data, are otherwise non-threatening, but are detected by other anti-malware programs. Would you like ESET to add detection of junk because those other vendors have included those files?

Just because a plethora of companies are doing something doesn't make it right, or even that it offers a benefit to their customers, for that matter. Adding features for marketing reasons is not a path I would like to ESET go down, and I suspect at least some of our customers feel the same way.

There are lots of features, enhancements and improvements that ESET has yet to make to its software, and some of those will come out of message threads like this one. So, I encourage you to keep asking and making recommendations. But, also keep in mind that ESET is takes its customers' security seriously and wants to develop technologies that do that, and not spend its time and efforts trying to win marketing battles with competitors.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You Eset mods remind of Comodo mods. Brain washed into think Eset is the best thing since Mom's apple pie. And closed minded to new ideas. Again I will stress that if 10 other antivirus companies can make a browser add on successfully so can Eset. 

@ Hamer. Tracking cookies are harmless. Use CCleaner.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I believe you'll find some of the requested functionality in various programs such as ESET SysInspector, ESET SysRescue Live CD, the ESET Rogue Applications Remover and various other malware removal tools.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

ESET need to add any more protection

Keyboard - Encrypt functionality we write to to prevent hackers from viewing what we walked to write a good encryptação become more secure our passwords, hence the eset make a tool that encrypts what we typed on the keyboard is all encrypted.

RootKit - ESET need to improve the detection of malware with rootkit .. Very malware uses rootkit to hide in the system, although detected in memory would be great .. something that becomes better detection of rootkits in the system, some inject the System Services and ESET ta not prepared to deal with it .. Even though they say yes, no not this one. I did own tests.

Safe System(It was good to add)ESET should add a tool called "Safe System" with this tool ESET analyze WHOLE PC demand Vulnerability Programs and Windows Updates .. And still should do more, such as check this.. ESET could check and correct if hackers were intended to disable any of these listed utilities.
MSConfig(It was good to add) -Many hackers, via remote access, attempt to disable options that are not discovered so disable some Windows functions such as priority would be MSCONFIG, since this tool it is possible to know which programs start with Windows .. and those who do not .
Regedit - Many hackers also disable regedit and msconfig because it is where the most advanced users are going to remove it once it installs itself in the Windows Registry the priority of Hackers is to disable anyone know who is infected ..

Task Manager(It was good to add- It may seem stupid, but many do it .. To give more work to newcomers and people who understand nothing of computer, disable the task manager to check the processes anyone.

CMD - It is widely used by hackers, but some also inactivate ..

File Extensions (BEST OPTION! It was good to add)I would say that this option is the best option for ESET add, when hackers want to try to avenge all the cost, corrupt the Windows extensions .. How so? Extensions like jpg, png, exe, jpeg, are corrumpidas by hackers ouvio Yes .. well .. Some of them even do it to provoke a corrumpção the system .. Soon these extensions stopped working correctly .. This is where ESET have to get that analyze program modifies or attempts corrumper extensions and send for analysis.

RAT detection - RAT means Remote Acess Tool, ESET need to improve the detection of the same, I'm not talking about the virus but FIREWALL .. Antivirus can even block the virus, but the firewall almost even detects an intruder in the system .. not even the warning .. It is ai that ESET has to improve .. If your antivirus does not detect .. the Connection Firewall analyzes and blocks the IP and the port in question .. This is what needs to improve the eset .. Firewall blocking trojans, keyloggers connections.

SafeBox - Basically it would be a chest, ESET analyzing the program to run and if he had not digital signature details like Name, Copyright .. If a program did not have that, ESET put this same executable, a safebox (sandbox) that everything we do in this program is analyzed by the program modifies ESET ESET continues to analyze something is like a LOG .. And if you notice strange behavior is sent to the cloud for analysis.

Malware Delayed - Many malware to evade proactive protection, using DELAY, yes .. Once the antivirus analyzes for example have one file to parse in 1 Minute .. found nothing, this virus has a delay of 2 minutes for booting the connection .. that is where many try to fool the antivirus, ESET should also be aware of it and get something to protect it.

• Administrators

So basically what you are saying is Eset is not open to new ideas and suggestions. Then the purpose of this thread is? 

Aryeh was saying quite the opposite.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

ESET is open to new ideas and suggestions. Just don't expect all of them to be implemented, especially if they offer little added benefit to ESET's customers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

So basically what you are saying is Eset is not open to new ideas and suggestions. Then the purpose of this thread is?

I only want to link to an idea that would extend the ESET software with large notification and maybe also managing possibilities. I especially wrote it for business users, because they would have a greater benefit, but I think also Home users could like it:

Description: Integration of the ESET software into "If this then that" (IFTTT)

Detail: see topic "ESET And IFTTT - Put The Internet Work For You - With Eset?"

Edited by rugk

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

I originally posted this in the version 8 beta thread here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/2984-eset-smart-security-and-eset-nod32-antivirus-8-beta-available/page-8#entry18293

Hello,

My comment is about the Idle State scanning. I would probably use it except for one thing, the scan process never ends. As soon as it finishes one scan, it will start another. I know this is probably by design and considered a feature, but it would be good to have an option to space the idle state scanning out and not have it continuously running. For example, have an option to select how often it should run, say once in a 3 day, 4 day, or 5 day, etc. period. In my case, I would like it to scan and once it had finished, instead of just starting another scan, only run once in any 7 day period. I know I can schedule a scan on a weekly basis but that works a bit differently. On the weekly scheduled scan, it scans whether the computer is idle or not, and if missed, I can set the option to scan as soon as possible which means basically on the next reboot. My system stays on for days at a time and I have seen the scheduled weekly scan missed by sometimes a week or more due to this. The idle state scan with the option to only scan once in a given period of time would solve this as well as have the actual scanning only happening during idle times on your system. This is just an observation as to a possible improvement and better functionality...

Since posting it there, I realized this also applied to version 7 and was not only apliccable to the version 8 beta. I should have originally posted this here which is probably the more correct thread for it. For that reason, I am also posting it here so it may get the proper attention.

eset corp add this to improve better security 

add anti spy monitor with any programs 

add a new block remote access = mean any hakers use programs to hack remote and enter to pc remote and steal data or spy and the anti virus will never detect it like for example 

backtrack 5 or any other tools how connect remote to a pc with out access of the user  using  the ip / mac adreases or anyting 

i recoment you to shild up all remote eset like 

thos use internet  many hakers use trick and gain access  remote 

windows explorer.exe 

windows svchost

windows registry 

webcam

skydrive or any app thjat use remote 

windows update 

back ground 

all windows services 

ect 

need to add full detection of any modification some antivuirs dont detect thos  hakers detections 

add a better detection more focus 

we know google and microsoft always spy 

add ultimate detection cookie spy detections =some please say not to this but i think will be better for security 

maybe in the future there will be no more privacy how knows 

but is better to state secure adding allitle more security