Push Notification?

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced Direct Cloud logging under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Hi Marco,

Here are the requested logs.

If that helps, this happens randomly, but this one happen after bringing my PC from sleep mode. Also, this time I just left my PC ON and during the time when I wasn't at my desk "Push Notification" has reached servers I guess and got fixed that way, but most  times I need to reboot my PC to get that working.

Thank you

eis_logs.zip

Edited by URBAN0

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

I can confirm that there is an issue with the quality of service of the ESET Push Notification Service (EPNS).

The teams responsible are on it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused,
Peter

On 12/15/2023 at 6:53 AM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello guys,

I can confirm that there is an issue with the quality of service of the ESET Push Notification Service (EPNS).

The teams responsible are on it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused,
Peter

Any updates on the repair?  I'm getting complaints about the annoying errors. Thanks.

• Administrators

Currently we're in the process of adding monitored cloud services to the ESET Status portal. EPNS is planned to be added next year.

Something has changed in regards to Eset Push Notifications.

I am now seeing it connect via HTTPS; i.e. port 443 versus the past use of port 8888 8883.

Edited by itman

• Administrators
13 hours ago, itman said:

I am now seeing it connect via HTTPS; i.e. port 443 versus the past use of port 8888.

That's a fallback mechanism to use port 443 if connection on 8888 fails.

Is there a problem with Push Notification servers today? The service keeps trying to connect and then gets dropped. This started after ver. 17.0.16 upgrade yesterday. Also, I am not receiving any Eset alerts about this;

Eset_Push.thumb.png.67461063dd62bdf5fc8842e71b89d73b.png

• Administrators

We have taken measures to mitigate the issue, however, there may still be interim EPNS connection issues. We believe the issue could be eventually resolved later this week. EPNS has not impact on protection capabilities of ESET products.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We're going to adjust the reporting of EPNS so that the notification appears only if there's a problem on user's end (e.g. if the communication with EPNS servers is blocked by a firewall or proxy). EPNS has no effect on protection whatsoever.

There is no explanation of EPNS in the product help. It is not even mentioned. That's why I searched and finally found this:

https://help.eset.com/protect_cloud/en-US/epns.html

However, it is still not clear to me what EPNS does with EIS (for example). Are these notifications for

a) EIS itself, e.g. to change the update frequency, although they are set to 1 hour in the EIS task scheduler?

b) Or are they notifications to the user (license expiry, marketing)?

c) Or even both?

However, EIS already knows the license date and can therefore generate a notification itself before it expires. And marketing would certainly not justify a warning. So only a) remains.

Since you can't do anything about the failure of EPNS anyway, you can switch off the warning. You can switch it on again at a later date:

https://help.eset.com/eis/17/en-US/idh_config_ui_notifications.html

itman mentioned the port 8888. On the linked page it is 8883, but that is probably because they are different products.

2 hours ago, 100 said:

itman mentioned the port 8888. On the linked page it is 8883, but that is probably because they are different products.

It was a typo on my part. I corrected my above posting to show 8883.

Edited by itman