Good night guys, I've been watching several AV. I wanted to know technically about it. if possible explain in detail.
1- Spend 5 days to update ESET antivirus database. and only gave 800KB.
2- I did this with Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Norton and other AV. gave more than 4MB.

Because ESET's is so small, does it have less threat detection or is the database small compared to competitors?

I ask this question to know how it works behind it all. I can't understand some AV and big and ESET and small.

Edited by New_Style_xd

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Good night guys, I've been watching several AV. I wanted to know technically about it. if possible explain in detail.
1- Spend 5 days to update ESET antivirus database. and only gave 800KB.
2- I did this with Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Norton and other AV. gave more than 4MB.

Because ESET's is so small, does it have less threat detection or is the database small compared to competitors?

I ask this question to know how it works behind it all. I can't understand some AV and big and ESET and small.

ESET uses Pico updates which are very small updates to the modules/signatures in short times , which will not cause a big update after a while.

1 hour ago, Nightowl said:

ESET uses Pico updates which are very small updates to the modules/signatures in short times , which will not cause a big update after a while.

This is different, I think. Pico aka streaming update is different. For example, Avast's protection update is entirely based on tiny streaming updates, and they push a full signature update once or twice per day.

ESET small signature size is probably related to its finely optimized engine. Someone official from ESET like Marcos or someone else might be able to give an accurate answer. 

But to answer OP's question, it's not related to the amount of signature. ESET's small signature size doesn't mean it detects less malware.

9 hours ago, SeriousHoax said:

This is different, I think. Pico aka streaming update is different. For example, Avast's protection update is entirely based on tiny streaming updates, and they push a full signature update once or twice per day.

ESET small signature size is probably related to its finely optimized engine. Someone official from ESET like Marcos or someone else might be able to give an accurate answer. 

But to answer OP's question, it's not related to the amount of signature. ESET's small signature size doesn't mean it detects less malware.

The way will be to wait for someone from the eset team to clear these doubts.

[KB309] How large are update files?

Solution

Typically, virus signature updates are made 2 to 3 times a day and average about 60 KB in size, although larger updates may be issued from time to time. Program component updates, which are issued approximately 3 times a year, are usually several MB in size.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

ESET's updates contain smart detections that are a few bytes in size, meaning that one detection that describes a particular malicious behavior or malware file characteristics can cover even thousands of variants in an ideal scenario. These are distributed either via pico updates or aggregated in engine updates together with other detections.  Engine updates are optimized for distribution as differential updates.

Currently if only the engine was updated and a computer would be online 24x7, it would download engine updates 6 times a day, each about 11kB in size. If you missed 1 update, you'd download 15,5 kB. If 3 updates were missed, then a 21,4 kB engine would be downloaded, etc. ESET uses modular architecture, meaning that a particular feature can be often released (fixed, improved) via module updates instead of releasing a new version of the program. There are currently about 50 modules (archive module, HIPS module, fw module,...) which are updated more or less frequently depending on the needs.