11 minutes ago, Posolsvetla said:

No, you haven't. As stated in the Event log, "an attempt to exploit" has been made, but that does not mean it was successful. We perform the check for this vulnerability only after we call the Windows API function which causes the log to be created. That's the reason the log is present.

You are still missing what the issue is here.

Eset SSL/TLS protocol scanning initiated exploit processing for a vulnerability that never existed in Firefox. Again, Eset SSL/TLS scanning stays disabled on any browser that I use.

I'm still getting the same ram usage on 1439 on Edge and Chrome. spike to to 270 or so and stay there until I play a game or use something ram intensive.

Not sure if that's a problem? 

1 hour ago, Wrogg said:

I'm still getting the same ram usage on 1439 on Edge and Chrome. spike to to 270 or so and stay there until I play a game or use something ram intensive.

Not sure if that's a problem? 

This sounds correct to me.

The registry fix to correct this ekrn.exe memory spiking issue was to favor OCSP over CRL cert. revocation checking processing. Chrome and Edge which is Chromium based both do not support OCSP.

20 minutes ago, itman said:

This sounds correct to me.

The registry fix to correct this ekrn.exe memory spiking issue was to favor OCSP over CRL cert. revocation checking processing. Chrome and Edge which is Chromium based both do not support OCSP.

Makes sense. thanks

To disable SSL/TLS protocol scanning only for a browser app, refer to the below screen shot. It shows Firefox being disabled. If using a different browser, you will have to select the .exe  associated it and set Scan action setting to Ignore.

Eset_SSL_Browser.thumb.png.823d0d029c73d360f71863f36d9120d4.png

As far as if it is safe to do so, it depends on what other actions you have taken to harden the browser against malware attacks. The minimum action would be to include a strong ad blocker add-on such as uBlock Origin and enabling all available lists offered; tracking, ad blocking, and malware. I would also manually add the AdBlock coin miner list available from Github: https://github.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/ .

I installed google chrome last night and I had to manually add chrome.exe to the list of ssl/tls filtered applications.  I thought that it did it automatically because I have set to automatic mode but it did not add it automatically.  Thank you for the information Itman and Viatcheclav Bukasi

3 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

I had to manually add chrome.exe to the list of ssl/tls filtered applications.  I thought that it did it automatically because I have set to automatic mode but it did not add it automatically. 

Eset should have added it the first time you ran chrome.exe. Eset will not add an app when it is installed only.

55 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

I don't know what is going on but I tried installing brave browser.  Ran the brave.exe and Eset never added it

Make sure the following setting is enabled:

Eset_Protocol_Scanning.thumb.png.d96824470a95df48624f889fda2ed6f7.png

Also review this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/28545-brave-browser-compatibility/  . Brave's .exe Scan action setting needs to be manually set from Auto to Scan for SSL/TLS protocol scanning to work. Also note that Brave does not work in Banking and Payment protection since its not a supported browser.

Edited by itman

• ESET Staff
On 3/19/2022 at 10:21 PM, itman said:

Eset should have added it the first time you ran chrome.exe.

Since Internet protection module 1436 applications are no longer automatically added to the list. If an application is not present in the list, Scan action Auto is assumed.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:10 AM, itman said:

Brave's .exe Scan action setting needs to be manually set from Auto to Scan for SSL/TLS protocol scanning to work.

Since Internet protection module 1436 TLS scanning is enabled for Brave browser also when set to Auto Scan action.

4 hours ago, Posolsvetla said:

Since Internet protection module 1436 applications are no longer automatically added to the list. If an application is not present in the list, Scan action Auto is assumed.

It would be beneficial that Eset published a change log when modules are updated. If for no other reason than incorrect information is not conveyed in the forum ...............

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Wrogg said:

This seems to have stopped for me since 15.1.12.0

Can't get Chrome or Edge over 50 meg anymore.

The Internet Protection module updated to ver. 1439 on my device a couple of days ago. It was previously posted in this thread by an Eset staff member that this module update would contain the ekrn.exe memory fix. Appears it does thankfully.

20 hours ago, itman said:

The Internet Protection module updated to ver. 1439 on my device a couple of days ago. It was previously posted in this thread by an Eset staff member that this module update would contain the ekrn.exe memory fix. Appears it does thankfully.

Looks like the memory spiking issue is not resolved with Internet Protection module ver. 1439. I went to badssl.com and ran its Dashboard test. Ekrn.exe memory immediately spiked to over 200 MB. Also, the prior reg. modification recommended previously by @MMx does not prevent ekrn.exe memory spiking from this web site.

What is going on here is most web sites have updated their Lets Encrypted certs.. As such, the memory spiking issue will be encountered less frequently.

1 hour ago, Wrogg said:

1439 made no difference to me at all. I just havnt seen it spike since 15.1.12.0

The badssl.com test posted above was made on ver. 15.1.12.