Eset Service high CPU usage

Hello,

For a while now, my laptop seems to be ventilating a lot right after it starts. I naturally assumed it was Windows or its Antimalware going crazy, but when I opened the Task Manager, to my surprise, I realized it was Eset Service process that had 20-25% of my CPU. As I already read on the forums, this issue has been happening for about 2 years now. Can you please help me too with this? I've seen some comments which were showing concern about the license not being paid, but this is not the case for me. Furthermore, everything is up to date as I allow Eset to automatically update itself and I personally check for updates for everything almost every evening, before closing my laptop.

Thank you

After a few restarts (manual or automatic), it seems to be working fine now, but as far as I noticed, it is not really an exact science because this issue occurs once or twice a day (depending on how much I need to shut it down) and it usually goes back to normal after the first restart. Is it ok if I keep testing it and get back to you at this forum post tomorrow?

• Administrators

Should the issue recur, enable advanced oper. system logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics. Disable logging after approx. 2-5 minutes, collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive for perusal.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, can I ask what brand and model of laptop is being used, and approximate specs (CPU, RAM, storage)?  There's a wide variety of laptops out there, and I would expect the experience could differ at least a little based on that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi!

My laptop does pretty well with everything else, that's the reason why I didn't even consider my specs would be an issue. I have a Dell G5, Intel Core i5 9300, 16gb ram and 512gb storage. The Eset Service Process acted up again, this time when the laptop was in sleep mode (lid closed) and after I reopened the lid, the whole laptop crashed.
This is the log https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... I hope it works, even if I had to force close it.

Edited by Marcos
Link cut due to sensitive logs

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, EasyPeasy said:

The Eset Service Process acted up again, this time when the laptop was in sleep mode (lid closed) and after I reopened the lid, the whole laptop crashed.

An advanced oper. system logging was not enabled in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics which is necessary for troubleshooting performance issues. It generates EsetPerf.etl log in the ESET Diagnostics folder.

In the system event log I saw crashes of C:\Program Files\Alienware\Alienware Command Center\AWCC.Background.Server.exe that occurred every few days.

Ok and if that Alienware exe crash is responsible for Eset Service having high CPU %, would it be a good idea if I would add that program file/folder to exclusions so that Eset wouldn't be bothered with it?

On 1/13/2022 at 7:14 AM, EasyPeasy said:

Hello,

For a while now, my laptop seems to be ventilating a lot right after it starts. I naturally assumed it was Windows or its Antimalware going crazy, but when I opened the Task Manager, to my surprise, I realized it was Eset Service process that had 20-25% of my CPU. As I already read on the forums, this issue has been happening for about 2 years now. Can you please help me too with this? I've seen some comments which were showing concern about the license not being paid, but this is not the case for me. Furthermore, everything is up to date as I allow Eset to automatically update itself and I personally check for updates for everything almost every evening, before closing my laptop.

Thank you

@MarcosIs it true that if I don't buy my eset license it consumes more process from my pc?
If users have been testing for 30 days they will have a slower machine because they didn't buy the license?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

@MarcosIs it true that if I don't buy my eset license it consumes more process from my pc?
If users have been testing for 30 days they will have a slower machine because they didn't buy the license?

If you don't buy a license ESET will stop updating and Windows Defender will activate instead when the engine becomes old. Only this could cause possible performance issues.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:19 PM, Marcos said:

An advanced oper. system logging was not enabled in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics which is necessary for troubleshooting performance issues. It generates EsetPerf.etl log in the ESET Diagnostics folder.

In the system event log I saw crashes of C:\Program Files\Alienware\Alienware Command Center\AWCC.Background.Server.exe that occurred every few days.

This time my laptop didn't crash altogether and I managed to enable the logging, the disable took 5 more minutes from the time I clicked ok in the (advanced setup) window and until it actually stopped. However, I couldn't find EsetPerf.etl in the folder you specified above... I truly don't know why it doesn't appear given that I did all the steps that I could possibly see (here and on that collector link).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nr1wtmR5o6NCXx25Vta3g_K1v4ZpVRtN/view?usp=sharing

Any other things that I can try so that I don't get such a high cpu usage though...? It's very annoying, time consuming and it kind of kills the mood of whatever I intend to do.

Nevertheless, thanks a lot for the time

• Administrators

Never come across a case when EsetPerf.etl was not created. Did you disable advanced OS logging prior to collecting logs with ELC to ensure that the data in memory is written to the disk?

image.png

I started using the collector about 1 minute before the disabling was finished (since I thought it would stay like that forever), but I used the collector one more time after that and that is what I've uploaded on the drive