Failing OS X agent installs

We have Windows and OS X clients. Windows client installs always complete successfully. When on the previous versions of EEI agent, OS X client new installs always showed Task Failed after a few minutes. Then after 10-15 minutes the client task would finally show Success.

However, now on the latest EEI version (1.6.1764) all OS X tasks show status 'Task Failed'. But looking at the clients, the task has completed successfully and they are running the latest version. The EEI Console and the EP Console show reflect the upgraded version.

It seems there's a bug with the OS X EEI agent install.

• ESET Staff

Hello @j-gray.

This seems to be more a problem of ESET PROTECT so I am adding @MartinK here, who might be able to identify the source of the problem. Do you know, what is the "trace message" for the "failed installations"? If you say, that the correct version is actually installed / working / reporting events, only the task status is a problem, that´s clearly EP issue. 

@MichalJ Where do I look for the "trace message"? The client doesn't appear to register any information as the upgrade is actually successful. The issue apparently is that EP reports all tasks as failed.

No issues with Windows upgrades, however.

• ESET Staff

Hello @j-gray. One idea - if the issue with failing task is related to the "activation issue" (that mac V6 Endpoint is not able to process the activation task for EI agent, and therefore fails). What would happen, if you just do the task "without the license", meaning just deploy / upgrade the package itself, without entering the license information. 

Per my understanding, the last "task failed in security product" is related to the activation attempt. As it seems to me, that other things in the task (download / install of the EI agent) finishes OK, just the activation fails. But that is inherited to the "global status" of the task. 

Thanks @MichalJ.  I'm not sure the activation is actually failing. At least the upgraded clients don't appear to report any issues in either EEI or EP console.

Per my other post, possibly the failing license check (perseus_unknown 5000) is causing the activation issue?

Incidentally, removing the license from the install task allows it to complete without errors.

What is the impact of installing the product without a license?

• ESET Staff

Hello @j-gray

In case it is an upgrade - there is no impact. Any ESET application should keep its license data upon upgrade.

In case of fresh install, in case of Mac EEI Agent, there is none, as there is currently no "activation functionality" implemented in V6 Mac Endpoint for EEI agent. Meaning, it would work, even without supplying the license data. This will change once we release new version of Mac Endpoint. 

• 2 weeks later...