My Windows PC (Windows 10.0.19043.1083) is it Clean?

Hello ESET.

my moms pc use to connect to my Huawei LTE Router and she has got viruses and malware on her pc so it spread to my pc but before i installed windows 10 on my new hard drive i installed and updated and setup ESET internet security and i heard on Google that if a pc takes longer than usual to shut down or restart its cause of a virus. how do i clean my pc completely ? i ran a scan earlier today and the security software says no viruses. 

• Administrators

It is not true that the machine must be infected with malware if the shutdown or system start takes longer. How much "longer" do you mean? If ESET doesn't find anything, you can run a scan with ESET SysRescue to make sure there's no rootkit running. If no threat is found, it's very likely that the machine is clean and the slowdown is caused by something else.

16 minutes ago, deanpepler1991 said:

i heard on Google that if a pc takes longer than usual to shut down or restart its cause of a virus.

Another Google propagated "urban legend" myth. Slow startup/shutdown can be caused by any number of factors.

FYI: https://fossbytes.com/tips-to-fix-windows-10-slow-startup-slow-restart/

Note: I don't necessarily recommend all the above solutions; especially if you're not technically inclined, But, posted this as a few of many reasons for this behavior.

Additionally, it is not unusually behavior on a new Win 10 install to have slow initial startup/shutdown times. A few subsequent reboots usually corrects the issue.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
14 minutes ago, deanpepler1991 said:

What is This error ? find the attached image.

WHAT THE.jpg

Rufus is trying to download 2 files missing for Linux , which is sysrescue built on linux. so it can work as a liveboot if I am not mistaken. it's normal

Edited by Nightowl

• Most Valued Members

As mentioned a slow startup can be a few things. Multiple programs set to load on boot can be one issue, hardware being old can also play a part.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, deanpepler1991 said:

i just finished scanning my PC with ESET SysRescue. it says "NO Threats"

The chance is there probably isn't any viruses then. How long is your computer taking to boot? Do you have a lot of programs on startup?

14 hours ago, peteyt said:

The chance is there probably isn't any viruses then. How long is your computer taking to boot? Do you have a lot of programs on startup?

i don't have lots of programs at boot up.

• Most Valued Members
23 hours ago, deanpepler1991 said:

i don't have lots of programs at boot up.

Having an SSD or HDD can make a difference with system's speed , as same as dust buildup inside the computer etc many reasons that could slower the the bootup process , same as Windows 10 isn't that much friendly with old computers , if you have an old one.

• Most Valued Members

You could do a few things. Running Windows disk cleanup could help.

You could also backup important stuff and do a fresh install of Windows

As mentioned there's a lot of things that could cause it, too many programs running, a buggy program on boot, hardware faulty or just old etc.