Eset Smart Security 7 still good?

I have Eset Smart Security 7. I've attached a screenshot of the versions and modules.

Does this have the latest updates and detection engines to detect and block the latest malware, antivirus and ransomware threats?

Eset.pdf_page_1.jpg

Edited by bigdawg

• Administrators

Only v10 contains anti-ransomware protection. We strongly recommend upgrading to the latest v10.1 or better uninstalling v7 first and then installing v10.1 from scratch.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just to add to my colleague Marcos' comment, the upgrade from ESET Smart Security 7 to 10 is free.  You just use your existing license from v7 to activate it once it is installed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I can't find my license. Where would I find it?

Plus is there any difference between downloading Eset Smart Security 10 (2017) from other vendors and Eset Internet Security?

Marcos I was somewhat puzzled by your post when you said "Only v10 contains anti-ransomware protection"  Isn't ransomeware nothing more that a virus that locks down your computer to extort money rather than destroy, or use it for other attacks or steal information? If it is a virus, then wouldn't the normal antivirus protection in Eset (updated of course), be what stops these forms of viruses no matter what version of Eset you have?

Thanks for clearing this up

Edited by bigdawg

• ESET Insiders

Users may encounter this threat through a variety of means. visit malicious or compromised websites. It can also arrive as a payload either dropped or downloaded by other malware. Some ransomware are known to be delivered as attachments from spammed email, downloaded from malicious pages through malvertisements, or dropped by exploit kits onto vulnerable systems.

yeoldfart:

I understand how these viruses attack, but your answer still doesn't explain my original question to Marcos, if Eset has a better Antivirus detection engine for one product or version over another Eset product. If ransomware is a virus wouldn't any Eset antivirus product perform the same at stopping it?

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, bigdawg said:

yeoldfart:

I understand how these viruses attack, but your answer still doesn't explain my original question to Marcos, if Eset has a better Antivirus detection engine for one product or version over another Eset product. If ransomware is a virus wouldn't any Eset antivirus product perform the same at stopping it?

I presume version 10 has extra stuff designed specifically to deal with ransomware. The newer versions always contain new features and improvements so its best to update to them.

peteyt:

Thanks for the info, however, new features may only mean different or additional features and doesn't necessarily mean that their anti-virus detection is different than say version 7. From what I can decern...their antivirus detection is the same whether it be ver. 7 or ver. 10.  Hence the question. If I'm correct, then why spend additional money on something that really doesn't improve antivirus and thus ransomware protection over what I already have?  It may be a nice benefit to have more features, but my main goal is and always will be getting the best antivirus and firewall protection I can get.

I realize selling product is the goal of every company but I hope Marcos or someone at Eset can answer the question I asked Marcos frankly without the fear of losing business.

To recover your "lost" license, visit https://www.eset.com/us/support/lost-license/

As Mr. Goretsky said, as long as you have an active license, there is no additional cost to upgrade to the latest version. It IS BEST to have the latest version.

It is always best to download a program from the originating source (not a 3rd party "warehouse"). Here is a link to the various versions-review them carefully as there is now a Smart Security Premium version which IS AN UPGRADE over Smart Security. http://support.eset.com/kb2476/

You may also want to review the current EOL data. http://support.eset.com/kb3678/#ess

So do as you please.

Good luck.

Edited by TomFace
add EOL link

• Most Valued Members
22 hours ago, bigdawg said:

peteyt:

Thanks for the info, however, new features may only mean different or additional features and doesn't necessarily mean that their anti-virus detection is different than say version 7. From what I can decern...their antivirus detection is the same whether it be ver. 7 or ver. 10.  Hence the question. If I'm correct, then why spend additional money on something that really doesn't improve antivirus and thus ransomware protection over what I already have?  It may be a nice benefit to have more features, but my main goal is and always will be getting the best antivirus and firewall protection I can get.

I realize selling product is the goal of every company but I hope Marcos or someone at Eset can answer the question I asked Marcos frankly without the fear of losing business.

As TomFace and others have pointed out Eset does not license it's products by versions. Basically your Eset license will work for any version as long as its the right product so if your on smart security 9 it will work for 10 and so on.

Also the updates older versions receive are generally only for defenitions and won't include actual updates to the antivirus engine itself. As well as adding new features the new versions generally contain improvements that older versions won't get. There are also bugs to consider. Often older versions of programs contain bugs that the newer versions have fixed.

Obviously users can stay on the older versions if they prefer and TomFace's link shows when older versions will stop being supported. However it's always recommended to stay on the latest version and remember if you have a license this is free

• Most Valued Members
On 6/30/2017 at 8:37 PM, bigdawg said:

It may be a nice benefit to have more features, but my main goal is and always will be getting the best antivirus and firewall protection I can get.

Then by all means uninstall the outdated v7 and install v10.1x, and you will have the best protection you can get.

As it stands now you do not have the best protection you can get by about 3 versions.