Upgrading to Version 10

Will I have to uninstall ESS 9 to install Internet Security since it is a different version or just install over top of it, and would I have to enter my license key again? I wouldn't want to inadvertently take up the third spot on my license. I'm sorry for all of the questions, ESET is still new to me and I haven't quite figured it all out.

Edited by throwaway9

I had some issues so I did a clean install (uninstall and install), but others have overlaid it. see https://forum.eset.com/topic/9663-ess-10-final-release-date/page-2 & https://forum.eset.com/topic/9923-internal-error/?p=51405 (itman's post). Doing an overlay should keep your license info and settings.

Edited by TomFace

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my inquiry!  :)

The info you've each provided is definitely a big help to me!  For the time being, I'll just leave all the settings the way they are and see how it goes.  If the need arises...I know I can always return here to get great help!

Cheers!

Pete

Will I have to uninstall ESS 9 to install Internet Security since it is a different version or just install over top of it, and would I have to enter my license key again? I wouldn't want to inadvertently take up the third spot on my license. I'm sorry for all of the questions, ESET is still new to me and I haven't quite figured it all out.

Could someone kindly answer my question please?

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

Will I have to uninstall ESS 9 to install Internet Security since it is a different version or just install over top of it,

I am not sure but I think the installer will automatically uninstall ESS 9 but I am not positive. If it were me (since you are both changing from ESS to EIS and doing a major version upgrade from 9 to 10), I would uninstall ESS 9 first (How do I uninstall ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus in Windows 10? or Uninstall my ESET home product in Windows 8). To ensure a clean install of EIS 10, I would then follow the instructions here: Manually uninstall my Windows ESET product to remove any leftovers.

and would I have to enter my license key again?

Yes, you would...

I wouldn't want to inadvertently take up the third spot on my license.

Do not worry about using another spot/seat of your license. ESET's activation system will know that you have only changed the product and upgraded on the same machine, so it will not use another spot/seat of your license.

I'm sorry for all of the questions, ESET is still new to me and I haven't quite figured it all out.

No problem at all  ;)  !

I hope this helps  :)  ...

Edited by puff-m-d

I'confused, I have ESS 9 for 3 PC, I want install ESS 10, which one should i choose: ESET Internet Security, ESET Multi-Device Security or ESET Smart Security Premium?! Of course i need at least the same, for 3 PC.

• ESET Insiders

Hello Quant,

You have a license for ESS - which means that you can install ESS, EIS, or NOD32 AV. ESS and EIS are the same except ESS has anti-theft which EIS does not have. If you use the anti-theft module, then install ESS. If you do not use the anti-theft module, then I would install EIS. It is up to you.

I hope this helps  ;)  ...

Thanks puff-m-d!

I noticed this in the KB article:

Back up network adapter settings

After using the ESET Uninstaller Tool, you may be required to reinstall your network adapter drivers. Follow the steps below to back up your network adapter settings and restore them after uninstallation is finished:

Before running the Uninstaller Tool: Open an administrative command prompt and enter the following command to back up your network adapter settings:
netsh -c interface dump > c:\NetworkSettings.txt

After uninstallation is complete: Reinstall your network adapter drivers if necessary and then open an administrative command prompt and enter the following command to restore your network adapter settings:
netsh -f C:\NetworkSettings.txt

I'm not that computer illiterate but does this mean the actual network drivers the computer manufacturer puts on your computer or is it talking about the drivers that ESET installs?

Edited by throwaway9

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

It is talking about the possibility that you may need to reinstall your network drivers from the computer manufacturer. This is only a very remote possibility that you may have to do this as I have never seen it happen. This is only mentioned just in case you lose network connectivity but I personally have never seen it happen. More that likely, you will not have any issues. The backup of those settings are just in case. As long as after you finish, you can still connect to the internet, you have nothing to worry about. Version 10 does not use those particular drivers anymore so it is not a problem from version 10 on. To be safe, you can backup those settings and be familiar with what to do if you have a problem. More than likely, all will be fine and you will not have to worry about that. It is only mentioned as a precaution as a small number of users did have issues.

I went ahead and updated to version 10 with ESS to see how it went and it went well and I may use Internet Security but since we have laptops, I thought the Anti-Theft would come in handy. I was worried about ESS being discontinued or phased out, will they be planning to do that? If they do I would move to EIS.

Also like a previous user mentioned about the blue highlights in the settings, I'm also having that too. Just as a precaution I tested with the file from eicar.com and it blocked it like it was supposed to but I don't know what these blue notifications mean, I've reset all settings to default and set them to how I wanted them again. Is there any settings I should change to make our computers more secure? Thanks!

post-13583-0-91714100-1478303118_thumb.png

Edited by throwaway9

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

I am glad to hear that your upgrade went smoothly.

At present, it does not look like ESET has any plans on discontinuing ESS anytime in the foreseeable future. I base this on the fact that ESET is still offering renewals for ESS.

As to the blue highlights (blue dots with numbers inside), they just show what settings that have been changed from the defaults. For example from your screenshot, the blue highlight/dot with a "1" inside besides the "HIPS" selection means one setting in that category has been changed from the default setting. If it had been a "2" or "3", for example, that would have meant that either two or three settings in that category had been changed from the default settings.

You can tell exactly which settings have been changed from default, as well as how many and which settings, by the blue highlight/bar to the left of the setting as shown in the following screenshot:

post-1033-0-11626300-1478305644_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps...

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

IMHO, the default settings provide both ample security and protection with good performance. The changes in settings that I have made from the defaults are mainly just to satisfy my preferences and do not really increase security.

Just upgraded to v10 Internet Security and found out Default Settings are different to those of v9. Advanced heuristics on FileExecution is disabled, can someone confirm?

Did you export your ver. 9 settings prior to upgrading? You should always do that as a rule.

I upgraded to ver. 10 using the full downloaded installer. Installed on top of ver. 9. All my ver. 9 settings were retained.

Hey, itman. Good to hear that about your install keeping your settings. I have a problem with getting my settings. My drive has just randomly lost data, several MB. Can't find a virus or malware, so I don't know what's up. I'm running SS v 9... I can't export my settings because I can't run the program. I have my drive attached to my laptop and I'm copying any files of value to an external drive. Then I guess I'll be doing an RMA on this drive. It's only 1 1/2 years old w/ 5 yr warranty.

Do you know the location of the settings, and the exe that runs the export? It looks like I have all my Smart Security files, and I ran a full virus scan with it last night when I noticed I had files missing. 

Thanks for any help