Superfish

I bought a new lenovo laptop a few months ago. It had Superfish preinstalled on it. I promptly removed the certificates, and used the lenovo removal tool to ensure that it was fully removed. 

I have been using the laptop with no issues since. 

Until today, Superfish came back to haunt me. Every time i type in a website into chrome (Any website) and click enter ESET notification appears and keeps blocking either..

04/04/2015 22:20:32 hxxp://www.superfish.com/ws/sf_main.jsp?dlsource=rkkrvko&CTID=dsoo&rnd=22 Blocked by internal blacklist C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

or 

04/04/2015 22:13:08 ssl://www.superfish.com Blocked by internal blacklist C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Does this mean Superfish was not successfully removed? I dont see the certificate anywhere, nor is it in the installed programs. 

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

• Administrators

It seems you have a Chrome Superfish extension installed. Is the address blocked even if you start Chrome without extensions?

Thank you so much for your help. I disabled extensions and that stopped the notifications :D . I haven't installed any new extensions in weeks so never thought of that. 

@SweX

WOW, I didn't know that ESET published their own tool to remove it. Great... :)

However in their KB article they linked to the official tool from Levono, so what's the best way? Use the ESET tool or the Levono tool?

i have a lenovo G50-70 laptop that came with superfish pre-installed

and i have run both and eset tool is better as lenovo tool missed some files and registry entries  

Edited by dom1da

@SweX

WOW, I didn't know that ESET published their own tool to remove it. Great... :)

However in their KB article they linked to the official tool from Levono, so what's the best way? Use the ESET tool or the Levono tool?

I search yesterday and I searched now again, but I just can't find the article, blog post, or whatever it was that I read a few days ago where it was nicely explained that the ESET tool would literally find everything connected to Superfish. 

So you just have to believe me...this tool rocks.  :D

i have a lenovo G50-70 laptop that came with superfish pre-installed

and i have run both and eset tool is better as lenovo tool missed some files and registry entries  

Okay. But the much more important thing is the root certificate. So AFAIK the Levono tool doesn't remove the root certificate, so how does the ESET tool?

@SweX

Sounds good. So the root certificate too?

@rugk and SweX

yes i looked at the root certificates on my computer and superfish root certificate was gone.

so eset tool does remove it which is very good job eset! 

Edited by dom1da

Ah great. :)

So it's a bit strange why they don't link to their own tool in the KB article.

But I've submitted it via the rating feature there so maybe they will change it soon.

Edited by rugk

@rugk, I couldn't have answered the root cert question as I haven't used the tool, so good that dom1da could chime in on that.

Yeah, I also think it would be great to have their own tool included in their own KB article.  :)