Close Smart Security temporarily to defrag

I have Smart Security 8.0.304.0 running on an XP Lenovo laptop and when I try to defrag with DiskKeeper (came with computer) there are many eset files that are fragmented and held open.  I tried phyisically disconnecting from the internet and disabling as much as I could of eset and running the defrag again. Is there a way to temporarily close Smart Security so I can defrag?  Attached is a fragmentation report listing the files.VolumeC.txt

It seems to be blocking me from accessing the attached file in the post so I am pasting it here:

Fragments       File size       Most fragmented files
5               197 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiAmon.dll [Cannot open]
21              1,165 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiEpfw.dll [Cannot open]
10              489 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiScan.dll [Cannot open]
5               304 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnDevmon.dll [Cannot open]
11              651 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnEpfw.dll [Cannot open]
133             9,508 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnSmonEngine.dll [Cannot open]
7               473 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnUpdate.dll [Cannot open]
5               364 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eplgOE.dll [Cannot open]
6               314 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eplgOutlook.dll [Cannot open]
6               434 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eplgOutlookSmon.dll [Cannot open]
34              2,994 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\SysInspector.exe [Cannot open]
4               108 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ToastNotify.dll [Cannot open]
29              2,508 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eset.chm [Cannot open]
4               212 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiHips.dll [Cannot open]
4               30 KB           \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security\EpfwUser.dat [Cannot open]
41              4,970 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe [Cannot open]
4               393 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnAntitheft.dll [Cannot open]
5               441 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnParental.dll [Cannot open]
7               392 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eplgOESmon.dll [Cannot open]
5               198 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eplgOutlookEmon.dll [Cannot open]
8               855 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\msvcr110.dll [Cannot open]
13              1,262 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\SysRescue.exe [Cannot open]
4               187 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiEpfwLang.dll [Cannot open]
6               661 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiParental.dll [Cannot open]
4               260 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnAmon.dll [Cannot open]
5               637 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiUpdate.dll [Cannot open]
9               1,318 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe [Cannot open]
4               304 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiDevmon.dll [Cannot open]
8               1,843 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiProductRcd.dll [Cannot open]
4               193 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiSmon.dll [Cannot open]
5               186 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\edevmon\edevmon.sys [Cannot open]
4               133 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\ehdrv\ehdrv.sys [Cannot open]
5               195 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnHips.dll [Cannot open]
4               232 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnScan.dll [Cannot open]
21              4,353 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\mfc110u.dll [Cannot open]
5               523 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\msvcp110.dll [Cannot open]
4               173 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\epfw\epfw.sys [Cannot open]
4               179 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\shellExt.dll [Cannot open]
5               384 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\updater.dll [Cannot open]
5               207 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eplgOEEmon.dll [Cannot open]
4               328 KB          \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrnSmon.dll [Cannot open]
14              2,007 KB        \Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\eguiProduct.dll [Cannot open]

• Administrators

Maybe disabling Self-defense would make the errors go away, however, I wouldn't do that and I'd simply ignore the errors.

I did physically disconnect from the internet and "Temporarily disable protection" and "Temporarily disable firewall" before trying to defrag.  Is that what you mean by "disabling Self-defense"? I aslo tried booting to safe mode but the defragger needs a service that will not run in safe mode.

It is not really errors.  Just files that cannot be defragmented.  With so much of eset being fragmented, that could be the cause of the system running slower than usual. One of my jobs is to keep the computers in the company running well.  It would be nice it there was a way to temporarily close Smart security so the files can be defragmented.

Any other suggestions?

• Administrators

Self-defense setting can be found in the advanced setup -> HIPS setup. However, a restart will be required for the change to take effect. Of course, Self-defense should be enabled asap as it leaves ESET and operating system more vulnerable to malware attacks.

As I wrote, I'd ignore the errors as I strongly doubt that leaving a few MBs fragmented would have a noticeable effect on performance.

Yes this errors are understandable and you may prevent them by deactivating the self-defense (temporarily of course). Additionally you can close the ESET GUI like I showed in the first part of this video.

Here are the settings for self-defense:

post-3952-0-40901600-1412269053_thumb.png

But instead of modifying this settings I also know a few defrag programs which have an option included to defrag the system in a very early phase of the boot process. This way they can get around of all this restrictions and running processes which block files.
I don't know if your software has such an option (it's sometimes called boot-time defrag or similar), but if it has then this might be the most comfortable and best solution.
Edited by rugk

I have Smart Security 8.0.304.0 running on an XP Lenovo laptop and when I try to defrag with DiskKeeper (came with computer) there are many eset files that are fragmented and held open.  I tried phyisically disconnecting from the internet and disabling as much as I could of eset and running the defrag again. Is there a way to temporarily close Smart Security so I can defrag?  Attached is a fragmentation report listing the files.attachicon.gifVolumeC.txt

I gave up on Diskeeper/Smart Defrag, and Puran's boot defrag (made things Much slower after awhile!)-

I now use free MyDefrag (downloaded from authors site, with No crapware (like Cnet adds on!)), and my computer is sooo Fast!.

On independent Performance tests MyDefrag was #1 by Far, and defrags/optimizes ESS!

TIP!-  My procedure For Whatever... defrag you use (I'm a software tech)!-

Never defrag/install/uninstall/... on a cold startup (reboot 3-times (35min ea.) First (ESS/system is Trusting..., what you did yesterday)!

1. Open defrag (Run as Admin!) for 4min (to get it trusted by ESS (KIS2014 too)/ close/reboot (after 10min!), and then no-activity wait 35min (for Win/files... to close).

a. Open defrag (run as Admin!), and wait 4min for ESS to Trust it again..., and 1-pass defrag/ close after 4min/ wait 20min/reboot.

2. Wait 15min, and open defrag (Admin!) for 4min to get it re-trusted. Open ESS, and get it re-trusted (or ESS will think it's corrupted, and download All Modules!), wait 30min/reboot. Good to go (after 15min)  now.

3. After the next cold startup- Trust your defrag/ESS Again/ wait 35min, and reboot. Good to go after 15min.

I Strongly suggest that you get a digital kitchen timer, and Select/Print this procedure out (you will never remember All of it!)!

G'luck! 

Scott 

BTW!-

-If things seem slow...-  Trust defrag/ESS, and reboot!

-ESS (All Security Suites) are often balky... on a cold startup!-  I have my breakfast/reboot (after 35min) Before I compute...!-

Normally ESS or NOD32 shouldn't prevent any defrag software from using/installing/uninstalling or whatever. Also defrag software is just a piece of software.

All things should work well without any waiting - if not then you have problem.

• Most Valued Members

you can hold the SHIFT key while pressing the X on the program window. that will disable and exit Smart Security, for as long you want it and finish the defragmentation.

but remember to go to the Start menu or double-click the program icon in order to start it again as soon as you finish your task.

• Administrators

you can hold the SHIFT key while pressing the X on the program window. that will disable and exit Smart Security, for as long you want it and finish the defragmentation.

This will only end egui.exe so it will not have any effect on possible non-graphical issues.

• Most Valued Members

@Scott

That seems like a lot of time consuming work to do a defrag. I check the need for a defrag about every two weeks, sometimes longer, using the Windows 7 built in Defrag, you don't mention what OS you're using. If it says I need it I do it otherwise I don't. Something to check is if MyDefrag is preserving your restore points. Some third party defrag programs delete them.

My cold boot speed is far less then 35 minutes usually under a minute and I'm good to go. I have very few programs start automatically at boot. Actually ESS is the only one right now other then the required System start items. If I need other programs after boot I start therm.

I do not experience any balkiness from ESS on a cold boot, reboot or at any other time.

Edited by SCR

@Scott--

From Stephen Sinofsky, MSDN, W7 engineering blog post dedicated to defrag : 

...In Windows XP, any file that is split into more than one piece is considered fragmented. Not so in Windows Vista if the fragments are large enough – the defragmentation algorithm was changed (from Windows XP) to ignore pieces of a file that are larger than 64MB. As a result, defrag in XP and defrag in Vista will report different amounts of fragmentation on a volume. So, which one is correct? Well, before the question can be answered we must understand why defrag in Vista was changed. In Vista, we analyzed the impact of defragmentation and determined that the most significant performance gains from defrag are when pieces of files are combined into sufficiently large chunks such that the impact of disk-seek latency is not significant relative to the latency associated with sequentially reading the file. This means that there is a point after which combining fragmented pieces of files has no discernible benefit. In fact, there are actually negative consequences of doing so. For example, for defrag to combine fragments that are 64MB or larger requires significant amounts of disk I/O, which is against the principle of minimizing I/O that we discussed earlier (since it decreases total available disk bandwidth for user initiated I/O), and puts more pressure on the system to find large, contiguous blocks of free space. Here is a scenario where a certainly amount of fragmentation of data is just fine – doing nothing to decrease this fragmentation turns out to be the right answer!.....

hxxp://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx

Sinofsky's entire post is worth reading.

• Most Valued Members

@eshrugged

Very interesting and informative read, thanks for the link.

To defrag or not, the age old question. While there are still some scenarios where defragmentation can provide a discernable performance boost, they are relatively few compared to a decade ago. The reasons are quite varied ...

1) my favorite ... SSD. They do not get fragmented, so that ends the discussion cold. If your OS doesn't support TRIM (junk collection), use a SSD that has software that can handle it (if you are running Vista or XP) I am partial to Samsung myself, their Magician software is very nice.

2) back when XP was king, it was rare to find a computer with more than 1GB or RAM. Given how incredibly scarce 64 bit version of XP are/were, there wasn't even any point in having more than 3GB. This matters because the page file was pretty much in constant use. Data was constantly being read and written from the disc because there simply wasn't enough RAM to go around. Smaller disk size, coupled with constant manipulation of the files lent itself to a more rapid fragmentation schedule.

3) massive hard drives ... when a hard drive has more space to work with, fragmentation is less likely to occur because there are free blocks available to right new data to.

4) faster hard drives ... even platter drives now are insanely more powerful than they used to be. WD black drives (7200RPM) can easily read and write at over 120MB/s, used to be that you needed a 10,000RPM raptor to manage that. This means that even if files are fragmented, the system can find them faster and you don't really feel the performance hit like before.

Food for thought, but chances are these days if your system seems sluggish the culprit is something other than file fragmentation.