nod32 blocking "steamwebhelper.exe" for

So NOD32 started blocking the file "steamwebhelper.exe", saying that "hxxp://store.akamai.steamstatic.com/public/shared/fonts/motiva-sans.ttf" it's a threat. That process is part of Steam and multiple instances of that application are always running.

Log from nod32:

"2/11/2015 8:20:02 PM    hxxp://store.akamai.steamstatic.com/public/shared/fonts/motiva-sans.ttf   Blocked by internal blacklist   E:\Game Installations\Steam\bin\steamwebhelper.exe    Dre-PC\Dre"

VirusTotal shows that nod32 is the only one detecting this as a threat:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/e6cb27841699c5507151e06352b2bcc1b65f0b90d556926de8fc2cd40e14be16/analysis/

There's also a few other people on the steam forums that are getting this same error.

Can I assume this is a false positive?

Yes, this is a font file! If a font file would be malicious then this would be either not a real font file or very strange...

And it isn't blocked by ESS or NOD32, so maybe just update your VSD and then it should work.

Yes, this is a font file! If a font file would be malicious then this would be either not a real font file or very strange...

You'd be surprised how many remote code execution vulnerabilities have been reported to be able to compromise operating systems and software. More than I care to remember!

This .ttf thing reminded me how very long time ago I've encountered threats in .wmv and .gif files for the first time :) We can't be sure with anything when it comes to threats :) Gladly we have some good protection software that keeps us safe. Cheers for ESET ^.^