Do you change anything from the Default Setup?

Being a new Smart Security user I was wondering if there was any settings you changed from the default?

Having used NOD32 for a year now I have changed it so that it regularly checks for version updates and automatically downloads component updates.  Along with turning on the option for Scanning for Potential Unsafe Applications and Unwanted Applications.  Along with changing the HIPS mode to Smart Mode I was just wondering if there was anything worth changing on the firewall or is Automatic ok?  (And obviously anything else you think I could change to make it better.)

I more or less kept it default because the defaults are pretty good but the changes i did make were:

enabled detecting unsfe applications

changed HIPS to "Smart Mode" from automatic

and i set all the actions to "no cleaning" because i dont like my AV making automatic decisions for me

but those are the only real significant changes i made other than disabling antispam, but thats just because i dont have any desktop email clients

I am pretty much a default set up. I tweaked a few things like reports, scan settings, updates, displays, IDS...but otherwise (as I am retired and lazy :P) I let it do the work. ESET Smart Security covers my behind and that's what I pay for.

Edited by TomFace

@sdalg72

The changes you have made is pretty much the only changes I would mention to someone asking if the defaults are good enough. Yes it's fine leaving the Firewall in the default Automatic. The others modes require a bit more work and a bit more knowledge regarding how to respond to a firewall notification whether to allow a connection or not.

@Swex I am a techy so know what I am doing with connections and stuff was more interested in what others were doing.  I am quite happy for the firewall to sit there and do it for more, these days want a hassle free life on my own PC.

@Swex I am a techy so know what I am doing with connections and stuff was more interested in what others were doing.  I am quite happy for the firewall to sit there and do it for more, these days want a hassle free life on my own PC.

Then the Automatic mode fits you nicely.  :)

On AV (not ESS)

I disable http module. In my opinion this is weakest part of ESET.

I disable "open file" scanning but keep execute and creation enabled.

Being a new Smart Security user I was wondering if there was any settings you changed from the default?

..I have changed.. version ..component updates... Potential Unsafe Applications and Unwanted Applications.... HIPS mode to Smart Mode I was just wondering if there was anything worth changing on the firewall or is Automatic ok?

Similar to HIPS smart mode, I use interactive firewall because it increaseses security and lets me know if programs start calling home. It does increase the initial setup time, so is less hassle free though.

• Administrators

On AV (not ESS)

Please never do that. Web protection is one of the strongest ESET's protection layers. Also disabling any of the events triggering a scan in the real-time protection setup will make your computer more vulnerable to threats.

On AV (not ESS)

Huh...weakest part? No, that is not true at all. Sorry, but I don't think you fully understand how the product works, and how effective and important this module actually is!

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that the http module is the weakest link?

When I see comments like this I always ask myself why users (of any product) disable this or that if they're not sure about how it will affect the capabilities of the product?  Just don't do that please!

IMO, users should stay with the defaults, or ask, if/when they are unsure about what they can change in the software to make sure they don't end up with a crippled product.

There is no "weakest part" as all modules have a purpose in the product and should not be disabled, they all work as a team.

Edited by SweX

• Administrators
When I see comments like this I always ask myself why users (of any product) disable this or that if they're not sure about how it will affect the capabilities of the product?  Just don't do that please!

And then these users complain when malware gets through and blame ESET for that. Personally I've come across infected machines where the users excluded the whole c: drive and were wondering why ESET didn't detect a thing :)

I wouldn't disable any features if it was me.  The only other thing is I have set a PC that I can't maintain myself to automatically download component updates but to never restart due to the fact the user would panic if something came up saying that they needed to restart.  My main question is that it will install the update and then take effect the next restart?  Not causing an issues with protection?

I would think a small delay for a restart would be acceptable. But again, not all updates are the same (and there might be some risk). Perhaps the user needs to be educated.

Edited by TomFace

The only changes required for Nod 32 is the following changes for Flight Simulator X System. Again have NOD32 set up specifically for this computer set up for Flight Simulator X. Do not recommend these settings for the average user.

1. Tools Scheduler Regular Automatic Up Date is checked Changed the Auto up date times to 480 Minutes equals 8 hours. 

2. Advanced Settings/Tools/System Up Dates includes Windows Up Dates drop down window select Never. Not recommended unless you are a advanced user and familiar with O.S. hardware and apps. Purpose for the disable do not want windows up dating drivers. Windows auto up date is disabled as well. Manual up date once a week including BIOS, Chip Set & Drivers as needed. Before shutting down the computer or starting the computer always manual up date Nod 32. 

3. Certain folders containing FSX add ons are blocked on D: or E: Drives and C: AppData FSX and Flight One certain folders are blocked.     

4. System scan once every 30 days.

Moved over to ESET from a different A.V. product using for 12 years very good product a little bit heavy on system resources. Very pleased with NOD32. Use Windows Firewall and the router has a built in Firewall very selective on web sights visited and e mails opened.

Ah I would of thought the maximum the software would be waiting for a restart would be a couple of hours education would be a little wasted in this case I am afraid.  

• Administrators

1. Tools Scheduler Regular Automatic Up Date is checked Changed the Auto up date times to 480 Minutes equals 8 hours.

In fact, it's a must to update an antivirus product as frequently as possible and your advice suggests the opposite. If you do that at your own risk for whatever reason, please do not suggest it to other users.

In fact, it's a must to update an antivirus product as frequently as possible and your advice suggests the opposite. If you do that at your own risk for whatever reason, please do not suggest it to other users.

Yes, and I highly assume that this setting has nothing to do with "Flight Simulator X".

And FYI the VSD updates should already suppressed by the Gamer mode automatically when an application is running in full screen mode.

Edited by rugk