Have I to contact Slovakia?

Hello,

I encountered a technical problem of payment via the ESET website a week ago, to be able to renew my license which expires on March 14th.

I am French, I live in Japan and some years ago, I bought on-line an ESET product license via the ESET official website, probably in the default language, English.

My ESET Internet Security is installed by default in French, your notification mails are in English, and for several years, I have always renewed my license in Japanese yen.

To resolve my problem, I thought I was doing the right thing by contacting the local Japanese customer service, but it could not help me because my license data was unknown.
Therefore, by clicking on the Help button of my anti-virus software, I had to contact the French customer service who can not help me, and links me to the North America Technical Support.

In fact, your company debited my bank account twice the amount of a license for which I did not receive the data for my renewal.
My license expires on March 14th and my device will not be protected beyond that.

So, please, is there anybody in ESET who can help me?

Thank you.

• Administrators

It appears that you have initially purchased the license from ESET LLC. They do not sell to other countries any more so I'd suggest purchasing a new license from your local retailer or ESET distributor. I'll have colleagues from the US confirm that the charge was rejected, however, it may still show as "pending" on your side for a couple of days until dropped.

Hello, Marcos

Thank you very much for your reply.

"They do not sell to other countries any more"
ESET did not let me know, neither before nor after my payment.

"I'd suggest purchasing a new license from your local retailer or ESET distributor"
I've already paid twice for a license renewal that I haven't received, and I still haven't been reimbursed, not to mention the time wasted contacting entire ESET.
You will understand that I refuse to pay more for the moment.

"however, it may still show as "pending" on your side for a couple of days until dropped"
My bank account was debited twice. Do you mean a reimbursement?

Besides, my license expires on Monday. I don't have my license renewal and I refuse obviously to pay more for the moment.
Whereas, satisfied with ESET until last week, I extended my renewal not by one, but by two years, I have no other choice today than to install an antivirus of one other brand?

• Most Valued Members
8 hours ago, Frank Castiglione said:

Hello, Marcos

Thank you very much for your reply.

"They do not sell to other countries any more"
ESET did not let me know, neither before nor after my payment.

"I'd suggest purchasing a new license from your local retailer or ESET distributor"
I've already paid twice for a license renewal that I haven't received, and I still haven't been reimbursed, not to mention the time wasted contacting entire ESET.
You will understand that I refuse to pay more for the moment.

"however, it may still show as "pending" on your side for a couple of days until dropped"
My bank account was debited twice. Do you mean a reimbursement?

Besides, my license expires on Monday. I don't have my license renewal and I refuse obviously to pay more for the moment.
Whereas, satisfied with ESET until last week, I extended my renewal not by one, but by two years, I have no other choice today than to install an antivirus of one other brand?

Sometimes it seems the card payment fails but looks like it hasn't on your end but it hasn't went through so this may be the case.

This used to happen somewhere I previously worked where the payment would fail and the money would get stuck in a holding account, ran by a payment service I think. The money would seem to go out of the bank but the store would not receive and eventually it would be automatically returned to the account but it could take a few days.

Not sure if this is the case here 

peteyt, thank you for your reply.

Anyway, I'm really, really disappointed, especially from a company that has over 30 years of experience, and the quality of their customer support service. I have rarely dealt with such bad service.

Waiting for someone to deign to solve my problem which has been going on for a week...

• Administrators

I was about to extend your license by 1-2 weeks when I've noticed that the license was extended by 1 year today. I'll wait for ESET LLC to comment on what happened.

Indeed, my antivirus was (automatically?) updated for a year today when my license expired.
This is one of the problems solved.

However, I originally ordered not a one-year, but a two-year license extension, which also includes a $24.99 discount.
What about my two-year license order?

At last but not least, what about the extra $74.99 (i.e. 10577 yens) that ESET has to refund me?

By the way, since my antivirus was automatically updated without me having to enter the license key as usual, and I don't have an ESET HOME account to connect it to, do I understand that ESET has a direct control over my antivirus?

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, carlzdooms said:

Waiting for someone to deign to solve my problem which has been going on for a week...

Please do not hijack someone else's topic. This is your very first post in the forum so we have no clue what issue you have. There is no license registered with your forum email address. Please open a new topic if you want to report an issue.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Frank Castiglione said:

By the way, since my antivirus was automatically updated without me having to enter the license key as usual, and I don't have an ESET HOME account to connect it to, do I understand that ESET has a direct control over my antivirus?

When renewing a license, all license information is preserved and just the expiration date is shifted, hence you don't have to do anything on your end.

Anticipating a reply from ESET LLC to confirm that the redundant payments were refused so your bank should credit the money back soon. Any questions regarding purchase from the USA can only be answered by ESET, LLC which is why it may take some time to give their answer here.

Hello,

I contacted my banks which were debited by ESET.
As peteyt wrote, although the amounts have been taken from my accounts, they have not yet been definitively "validated" because they are awaiting a response from ESET.

In summary:

I am French, I live in Japan and some years ago, I bought on-line an ESET product license via the ESET official website, probably in the default language, English.
My ESET Internet Security is installed by default in French, your notification mails are in English, and for several years, I have always renewed my license in Japanese yen.

For the renewal of my ESET Internet Security license which was about to expire, I received an e-mail from your service informing me that my automatic payment had been refused.
So I followed the proposed link "RENEW YOUR LICENSE" to be able to make an online payment.

Having been satisfied with ESET antivirus for several years, I wanted to extend my renewal for not one, but two years.
A first attempt failed with the message "Payment was declined" for reasons "Entered the wrong credit/debit card details.・Exceeded your credit limit on your credit card.・Insufficient funds on your debit card."
All my bank accounts being supplied, I wanted to pay via a different bank, but I was refused a second then a third time by the same message.

Despite my refused online order, the three amounts were debited from my bank accounts.
In fact, I paid three times for a license renewal that I did not receive.

I thought I was doing the right thing by contacting the local Japanese customer service, but it could not help me because my account data was unknown.
Therefore, by clicking on the Help button of my anti-virus software, I had to contact the French customer service who can not help me.
I ended up contacting the North American service who replied that I had to join the distributor from whom I originally purchased.

I purchased an ESET product via the official ESET website, i.e. an online purchase, I was billed in US dollars and debited in yen, so what department should I contact, if it is neither Japanese, nor French, nor North American?
That of aliens, or does anyone at ESET know?

Meanwhile, on my license expiration day, ESET charged me again this time automatically, much to my dismay, and sent the invoice to an old email box, again much to my dismay.
ESET, what's the heck?

After contacting French customer service, I received an ESET questionnaire regarding the quality of technical support.
It was still too early, but today I would add to my answer:

I've been an ESET customer for years, and I've rarely encountered such a mess anywhere else.
I've been an ESET customer for years, and none of the three services I contacted tried to fix my problem after just one indifferent response email.
I've been an ESET customer for years, and it was me who had to spend my time finding the solution to a problem that was your fault.
Finally, I have been an ESET customer for years, and while I was mistakenly debited 3 times almost $75, no one seems in a hurry for my refunds almost two weeks later, except to make a direct debit for a order different from the one I originally made.

Rarely have I been so disappointed with a company I have ordered from, and clearly I will not be recommending an ESET product from now on.

Thanks to Marco and peteyt though 😉

• ESET Staff

Hello @Frank Castiglione,

On behalf of ESET NORAM support, please accept my apologies for your poor experience. While Marcos's comment regarding our policy of selling within the NORAM region is true insofar as phone transactions, it is possible to purchase through the NORAM online store from other regions. Recently, due to changes in international banking security, this has created negative customer experiences like yours. 

We have been successful in untangling a few of these situations by working with our counterparts in different regional offices. However, the process becomes very convoluted when banks get involved. We have no means of seeing into how a given bank chooses to allow or deny a transaction, and when a transaction is blocked, different banks will have different policies as to how soon you receive a refund. 

I will work with the support and consumer Sales teams in NORAM to see that we bring this to a resolution. We appreciate your business and while it is unfortunate that we did not resolve this fully sooner, there are people working diligently to get you a resolution ASAP. I will circle back to this thread when I have more to share. 

• Most Valued Members
On 3/12/2023 at 5:13 PM, Marcos said:

I was about to extend your license by 1-2 weeks when I've noticed that the license was extended by 1 year today. I'll wait for ESET LLC to comment on what happened.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, carlzdooms said:

I originally ordered not a one-year, but a two-year license extension, which also includes a $24.99 discount.

Reported the above user. Please delete the posts as he is trying to hide links in his posts

Edited by Marcos
Link removed

• ESET Staff

Hi friends, I was able to get in touch with @Frank Castiglione (thanks Frank!) and we have all the necessary license info to investigate. Our backend team is looking into the charges now, we'll collaborate with other regional offices if-necessary to make things right. If it's a matter of sorting things out with the banks, we'll make sure that Frank's license is where it should be or better. I expect to have more to share soon. 

• ESET Staff

We have identified the charges and I have personally verified with our finance team that any charges aside from the single charge that processed should fall off for @Frank Castiglione. I am also working with our licensing team to extend the license by an additional year to reconcile the renewal issues. I will be driving further communication on this matter with Frank in private so as not to overshare information about his license and finances.