Future changes to ESET PROTECT (formerly ESET Security Management Center / ESET Remote Administrator)

Description: change behaviour of adding new file/folder exclusions #1
Detail: I need to exclude all *.mdb files in c:\test and all subfolders
Currently I can exclude *.mdb files only in the top folder (c:\test) but not in the subfolders

Description: change behaviour of adding new file/folder exclusions #2
Detail: I would like to exclude all *.vhdx files, but without specifying folder/drive (ESMC says when setting this in policy: "Invalid path")
If I type "\*.vhdx" into the field, I can save it, but if I scan a test file manually, the log file still shows: "Number of scanned objects: 1", so the exclusion doesn't work.

Description: change behaviour of adding new file/folder exclusions #3
Detail: if I import a txt file which contains correect and incorrect folder exclusion, ESMC says: "Not all input data have been imported".
And it imports the list partially, but doesn't show the not importable item(s). It would be nice, if ESMC show a message with the incorrect, not importable items.

Description: change behaviour of adding new file/folder exclusions #4
Detail: in ESMC policy, adding folder exclusions
c:\test\*    works
c:\test*\*   doesn't work, "invalid path"

Description: ability to add process path containing environment variable:
Detail: in ESMC policy, add process exclusion
%systemroot%\System32\Vmms.exe   doesn't accept, "Invalid value"
c:\windows\System32\Vmms.exe    this works

+1: same value can be added multiple times

Edited by ludolf
+1

Just now, ludolf said:

Description: ability to add process path containing environment variable:
Detail: in ESMC policy, add process exclusion
%systemroot%\System32\Vmms.exe   doesn't accept, "Invalid value"
c:\windows\System32\Vmms.exe    this works

I was able to add this path to Firewall rule. Where are you adding this rules?

here: ESMC, select policy (product: Eset File Security for Windows Server), 

Detection Engine, Processes Exclusions, Processes to be excluded from scanning

• ESET Staff

@ludolf I have reported those requirements to the EP development team, as they are EP related. ESMC just visualizes policy controls, made for Endpoint. But it´s OK, that you have reported it here, as ESMC s the primary interface for controlling Endpoints.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MichalJ said:

@tbsky We are not planning to add mariaDB support. Due to our journey to the cloud and also multi-platform compatibility, we will most likely work on the support of MySQL 8 for next major release of ESMC 

Hi:

I think mariaDB is multi-platform compatibility also. few people like Oracle/MySQL, but it is better than nothing. at least we can install ESMC at linux :)

Description: Checkbox 'Automaticlly Reboot when needed' default set to disabled. / off.

Detail: Currently we are executing tasks with no need for a reboot and sometimes we do. But since we also execute tasks on our servers, leaving the default setting 'checked' being quite dangerous. 

See attatchment. This is the checkbox we would like to be disabled on default. 

chrome_2019-02-08_14-25-32.png

Description: Create dynamic groups for the following problem: "macOS is preventing ESET Security Product from accessing some folders."

Detail: I would like to create a dynamic group for computers with the following problem, but I can't select this problem at the new template creation, even though it's a reported problem, it's not in the list: "macOS is preventing ESET Security Product from accessing some folders."

Edited by SysEPr

• ESET Staff

@SysEPr Thank you for pointing this out. I have created a development task for both adding this one specific problem, but also having those problems in an update-able fashion, meaning we would be able to dynamically update those capabilities when a new client with a new error is being released. 

Description: Policy settings reverse-lookup

Detail: The ability in SMC/Endpoint Security to see which policy is responsible for which setting in effect on the computer.
Basically something like a GPRESULT report available for diagnosing Active Directory Group Policy Objects.
A very simple example of that is shown here: https://4sysops.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/gpresult.exe-HTML-output.png

• 2 weeks later...

Description: Run task with limited permission set

Detail: Our admins have limited permission sets on ESMC, meaning they don't have "write" access for the "Software install" and "Run command" client tasks, only read and use. We have software installation tasks pre created, that install the ESET Endpoint security. If they select clients, they can run these tasks on these clients (via the "Run task..." command), but when they try to use it from the "Last used tasks" context menu, it's grayed out, or when they try to rerun a task also from the context menu on the device details page under task executions, they get a "Failed to run task: no access" message. It doesn't make sense, because they can just select "Run task...", and run it that way on the clients, and it runs perfectly, however, it's way more steps that could be jut one click. The same permission set on ERA used to give the same error message on the device details page, but it used to work perfectly from the context menu under the last used tasks, which made sense, and was less annoying. On ESMC I think the expected way it should work is that both should work (they should be able to create triggers, since that's what those features do), they just shouldn't be able to create an actual new task "Software install" task. 

Description: Dynamic groups building on other dynamic groups

Detail: We would like to create dynamic groups where they can't be part of that group until they are part of another group. Let's say they have an outdated agent, and until that is not resolved (a.k.a they are part of that dynamic group), they can't be part of a different dynamic group that says that they have to be not part of that other one.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, SysEPr said:

Detail: We would like to create dynamic groups where they can't be part of that group until they are part of another group. Let's say they have an outdated agent, and until that is not resolved (a.k.a they are part of that dynamic group), they can't be part of a different dynamic group that says that they have to be not part of that other one.

You can create  nested dynamic groups, ie. dynamic groups under another dynamic group.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:10 AM, Marcos said:

You can create  nested dynamic groups, ie. dynamic groups under another dynamic group.

But that means its part of it if it's part of the one above, but how do you achieve a NOT scenario?

Edited by SysEPr

• ESET Staff

@SysEPr Thank you for your feedback: 

1. With regards to the first case, we will investigate this behavior. It looks to me more like a bug in the implementation. We will check this internally. 
  2. We are planning to introduce more advanced IFTTT (If this then that)  logic, into ESMC, however it will not happen in ESMC 7.1 for sure. But it´s on the roadmap for the future versions, that will allow you to achieve better automation, and such advanced conditions. 
Edited by MichalJ

@MichalJ Thank you! I really hope it gets changed in the right direction, and those features start working again :)

Also, it might be more of a bug report, but:

Description: Windows live installer can't be extracted by double click on macOS
Detail: When you generate a live installer in ESMC, and you download it, all of the installers are in a compressed format. The windows installer is a .zip file, but it is zipped in a way where if you double click it, macOS (tried it on High Sierra and Mojave) just gives an error: "Operation not permitted". You can unpack it with terminal or with different softwares, but the default double click that otherwise works with other zip files just gives an error. There might be some weirdness going on around the zipping, that results in this behavior. If you could make it more compatible, I would really appreciate it :) 

A really small thing, but a rather annoying one:

Description: Take focus of the 2FA field
Detail: When two factor is enabled and you try to log in, you are prompted for the code. The field is highlighted in red, but the focus is not there - you have to first click it, then you can enter the code. It would be nice if we could just start typing the 2FA code in. Also, the highlight kinda suggests that the focus is there - but it's not, when you click it, it becomes a blue highlight.

Edited by SysEPr

Description: Automatic product activation on license renewal

Detail:  I can't find option in ESMC for endpoint automatic license activation after renewal. I only find option on client "Activate this product if you already have a renewal key or a new license."  It would be most welcome to have this feature automated.  For example, when license is synced with EBA account, automatic activation of endpoint would be triggered either by endpoint like with updates, if you can't access activation server via proxy, then go directly to ESET servers.

On my test system I had to create client task to send activation on test client to renew license. Maybe I had to wait a little bit more time before client receives new license?

image.thumb.png.f6af260d40452a683b5996168c9e23b5.png

• ESET Staff

@bbahes Upon renewal (if the renewal was done within the expiration period), it should update the license status automatically. Do you change also the license key during renewal, or just extend the expiration of the same license (did the license key change)? If not, it indicates a problem in either your setup / our licensing functionality, and should be looked at from the technical support perspective. 

@SysEPr With regards to the live installer - noted, our devs confirms that, but it might happen that this won´t be done (as it´s really a niche scenario). With regards to the focus on 2FA, I will let it report to our devs, so it´s reported. I do agree and fully support it. 

7 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

@bbahes Upon renewal (if the renewal was done within the expiration period), it should update the license status automatically. Do you change also the license key during renewal, or just extend the expiration of the same license (did the license key change)? If not, it indicates a problem in either your setup / our licensing functionality, and should be looked at from the technical support perspective. 

@SysEPr With regards to the live installer - noted, our devs confirms that, but it might happen that this won´t be done (as it´s really a niche scenario). With regards to the focus on 2FA, I will let it report to our devs, so it´s reported. I do agree and fully support it. 

@MichalJ

License key and Public ID are same as last year. It should be noted that this is test system and  both ESMC and client are in virtual machines which where in saved state. It could be that ESMC did not sync with EBA.  For me, confirmation that this is automatic process is solution.

Thanks for response!

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see a column on the computers page where you can see the current or last login user.

On remote administrator 5 there was 3 custom attributes that you could select, one was username, then you could add this columns to the list.

It helps a lot when you are looking for the computername where this users is logged in.

I can not see that on Management Center v7.