Safe Banking

Go to solution Solved by constexpr,

These last few days after Months of no problems safe banking seems to have a mind of its own, I have and always have had secured browsers turned off but now after using any site that requires safe banking it then comes on for all sites even Twitter, Facebook etc. etc and will only stop this annoying habit after restarting computer but then as soon as I go on to a Banking site it does it again?. PS, I'm on Edge browser and have safe browser set to come on for my payment sites only.

• Administrators

Do you have "Secure all browsers" disabled?

image.png

Are the websites that open in a secure browser in the list of protected websites and set to Ask or Normal browser?

image.png

Yes, secure all browsers are disabled but it's all websites that are going into safe banking after I exit a site that's in my protected list, and I do completely exit the protected site by exiting site and protected site. this has only started a few days ago which is strange?

I don't use Edge as my browser. However when I did so to test this situation out, I can state something weird is going on in regards to Eset B&PP.

Edge does open my predefined bank web site. But it appears two Edge process instances are running. B&PP home web page is running in one instance and bank web logon page in the other instance. When I close the bank web site web page, B&PP home web page is still running. However, a second Edge desktop toolbar icon was created and remains even after all Edge web pages have been closed. If I open this newly created desktop Edge desktop icon, Edge starts in non-B&PP mode. Again if I close all Edge instances running, I still have two Edge desktop toolbar icons. I had to manually delete the second icon.

Edited by itman

Thanks, itman, that's roughly what's happening to me I think, protected banking seems to have a mind of its own, its only got like this a few days ago so maybe an Edge update caused this? maybe I should try Firefox?.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, Bobjob said:

Thanks, itman, that's roughly what's happening to me I think, protected banking seems to have a mind of its own, its only got like this a few days ago so maybe an Edge update caused this? maybe I should try Firefox?.

Do so, BUT I have had FF BPP Popups occur Randomly for Non-Selected sites for some time; Use to happen a lot, then OK, now occurs - but with less frequency. I DO seem, though,  to be the only one in the galaxy to report it.

That's sometimes the problem, if it's not reported then it won't get fixed? every time Edge has an update BPP stops working altogether but that seems to be that Eset is not told by Edge that it's updated and so Eset is having to play catchup? which it does two or three days later.

• ESET Staff

Hi all,

It seems that there are described at least 2 problems:

1. Unrelated (not banking, nor from list of protected websites) links are redirected to Secure Browser. This happen especially after first open of banking site > redirect to Secure Browser. After that, the only fix is restart browser or PC. Am I right?
    Bobjob has this problem with Chrome, COStark26 with Firefox (and there even restart doesn't help). 
  2. When redirecting from banking page to Secure Browser, 2 secured browser instances was running simultaneously (one with banking page, another with BPP home page)
    This may also create new taskbar/desktop icon.

Maybe I missed something, so just correct me. I believe that all of you have EIS9 or ESSP9. What we need from you is to collect some logs. Please:

1. In ESET product, Switch on Advanced settings (F5) > Tools > Diagnostics > Enable Baning and Payment protection advanced logging
  2. In browser, collect HAR log - open developer console (F12) > Network tab > Gearwheel > turn on Persist Logs
  3. Replicate an issue
  4. Save HAR log - Browser developer console > Gearwheel > Save All as HAR
  5. In ESET product, switch off advanced logging
  6. Collect ELC log from time, when normal and secured browser is runing

If you can capture screen video, where issue is visible, it may be very helpful. After that, please upload here as much logs as possible (ELC/har/video). Also add info, which (banking) websites are problematics for you.

If you are unable to replicate issue, do at least 6th point.

If you don't want to collect any logs and just need quick fix, consider using Secure all browsers. All mentioned problems comes from redirector part, that just navigate you to visit banking pages in safe environment. When Secure all browsers is enabled, whole browsing in default browser is protected by BPP and you will no longer have any issue with redirector.

Thanks

Edited by constexpr

Thanks, as I'm as tech-savvy as Kermit the frog i will go to option 3, however, if i close banking protection then the web page from taskbar in that order it seems to not go into the protected site for the next site example Twitter. in other words it behaves as it should? rather going into protected sites when they arent not on my list.

• ESET Staff

When you enable Secure all browsers feature, all supported browsers (Chrome, FF, Edge, IE) must be closed for this to work .

image.png

After that when you open browser as usually, you should see green frame and badge also in your default browser.

[I believe that all of you have EIS9 or ESSP9. What we need from you is to collect some logs. Please: ]

I'm EIS 15.0.21.0.......

Unrelated (not banking, nor from list of protected websites) links are redirected to Secure Browser (note: Both pages open for me. I Close BPP and go to target page)

This happen especially after first open of banking site > redirect to Secure Browser (note: don't recall that for me - It just happens.) After that, the only fix is restart browser or PC. Am I right?   Me=Close BPP and use target page                               

In FF 95.0.2 there are 2 cog-wheels to chk but after a 3-minute Video test = No BPP, I can't see where anything was captured as HAR.--- See jpg's Setup.  After a video test & browsing All I see "active" is Import HAR and it shows me an Explorer page w/ .har as the default extension, BUT No Clue WHERE to find the HAR file to import.

#6 Logs require dnload of Log Collector. I presume I turn it ON when using Browser and -- Any Result will BE ON DESKTOP --. Advise otherwise.

I can live with this but will attempt these Tasks after we make sense of the HAR settings issues.

Thanks.

2083560737_BOTHCOGWHEELSinFF95.0.2.jpg.2de1c2b301cc5c54fb75596a4a4b76f4.jpg

• ESET Staff

If you cannot replicate issue, neither advanced log or HAR log doesn't help (we will not see any random-web -> BPP-redirect chain). In this case, you can just download ELC (leave the browser running), press Collect, save log and upload it here. But in this case, chance to find some bug just from your config is limited.

And for HAR - I do it this way

Edited by constexpr

Thanks for the video.

Although my pic shows an Inactive Save All I Tried the checks again --- AND Save All as HAR ... WAS ACTIVE this time. Go figure!

My own post states I cleared Edge after failed login on a site and Clk'd on FF, only to see the BPP popup. No rhyme or reason but I'll load Log Collector and give this a try.

Just a heads up on my Edge problem, after uninstalling Ublock it seems to be working as it should, strange, maybe just coincidence?

• 4 weeks later...

Have just found what appears to be the issue with the Banking & Payment Protection that topped working back in late November/early December last year...for what appeared to be for no reason given that it had worked fine prior to a release of ESET that I installed around that time.

The culprit is, in my case, a new (as of the end of last year) incompatibility between ESET & Hitman.Alert Pro. Thought I would let you know in case anyone else with the issue uses that combo. Not sure if the issue was caused by the ESET release or an HMP.A Prop release around the similar time.

I am reporting it to SurfRight, in case it is on their side and it is something that they can fix...hopefully as I much like the combo and would hate to have to lose one of the apps.

Regards, Baldrick 

On 12/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, itman said:

I don't use Edge as my browser. However when I did so to test this situation out, I can state something weird is going on in regards to Eset B&PP.

Edge does open my predefined bank web site. But it appears two Edge process instances are running. B&PP home web page is running in one instance and bank web logon page in the other instance. When I close the bank web site web page, B&PP home web page is still running. However, a second Edge desktop toolbar icon was created and remains even after all Edge web pages have been closed. If I open this newly created desktop Edge desktop icon, Edge starts in non-B&PP mode. Again if I close all Edge instances running, I still have two Edge desktop toolbar icons. I had to manually delete the second icon.

Which browser do you use as your favorite and why?

9 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

Will Microsoft Edge be an alternative to having very good privacy?

Not any more since latest version is a basically clone of Chrome. Then there is the "Microsoft" factor which by definition is not synonymous with privacy.

15 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Have just found what appears to be the issue with the Banking & Payment Protection that topped working back in late November/early December last year...for what appeared to be for no reason given that it had worked fine prior to a release of ESET that I installed around that time.

The culprit is, in my case, a new (as of the end of last year) incompatibility between ESET & Hitman.Alert Pro. Thought I would let you know in case anyone else with the issue uses that combo. Not sure if the issue was caused by the ESET release or an HMP.A Prop release around the similar time.

I am reporting it to SurfRight, in case it is on their side and it is something that they can fix...hopefully as I much like the combo and would hate to have to lose one of the apps.

Regards, Baldrick 

I use Malwarebytes pro alongside eset, i now use icons on taskbar to come out of safe banking, its a pain but it workes there are now 2 icons so not sure if its an edge problem or Eset?

• ESET Staff
  • Solution
15 hours ago, Baldrick said:

BPP is not compatible with HitmanPro Alert. See https://support.eset.com/en/kb6063-eset-banking-payment-protectioncommon-errors

13 minutes ago, Bobjob said:

I use Malwarebytes pro alongside eset, i now use icons on taskbar to come out of safe banking, its a pain but it workes there are now 2 icons so not sure if its an edge problem or Eset?

I don't understand, why you use icon on taskbar to come out of secure browser? And where are 2 icons? Can you please post screenshot, or detailed description?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, constexpr said:

BPP is not compatible with HitmanPro Alert. See https://support.eset.com/en/kb6063-eset-banking-payment-protectioncommon-errors

I don't understand, why you use icon on taskbar to come out of secure browser? And where are 2 icons? Can you please post screenshot, or detailed description?

Thanks

When i try to come out os safe banking using toolbar x top right the very next page i bring up comes up with safe banking even if its any other pages ie facebook/ emails etc etc, even though im not using secure all browsers.

3 minutes ago, Bobjob said:

When i try to come out os safe banking using toolbar x top right the very next page i bring up comes up with safe banking even if its any other pages ie facebook/ emails etc etc, even though im not using secure all browsers.

OK strange,just tried safe banking the way ive always used it ie cross top corner, and it works, will let you know if i have anymore problems. thanks.